APA internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychstudent!721

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a first year PsyD student at a program that is accredited on contingency from the APA (i made sure that students from such programs were eligible for the match even before i started the program). I may be jumping the gun but I am looking for any advice on how to make myself competitive for APA internships, unlike my peers I refuse to do an internship that’s not accredited. Even though it’s not required for my state. According to my professor, with the amount of accredited internships there are today, there is almost no reason to do a none accredited one. Anyone have any advice on how I can make myself competitive or improve my chances? Location is not an issue, willing to relocate.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on your desired area of expertise. Speaking from a neuropsych angle, I focused on getting ~600+ hours of combined assessment and intervention experiences, writing as many integrated neuropsych reports as I can, and training in several different types of neuropsych settings (e.g., VA hospital and academic medical centers). Having a dissertation and research experiences related to your clinical areas also helps. In short, you want to develop a broad set of clinical experiences and start to identify potential areas of growing expertise.

I think from my peers in my program who are more interested in psychotherapy, their experiences were similar in terms of developing a breadth of clinical experiences and some area of growing expertise (in research or clinical work).

Of course you should also do well in your classes, don't do anything nuts/unethical, etc. Your professor is correct that if you are not geographically restricted there are many internship opportunities.

Reactions: 1 users
OP, if you're from a new program, particualry an unknown PsyD, you definitely need to do more to stand out. I'd second needing good external practicum where you can get letters of rec from boarded folks. I'll also second that a high quality dissertation in neuropsych will be a necessity to set yourself up well.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OP, if you're from a new program, particualry an unknown PsyD, you definitely need to do more to stand out. I'd second needing good external practicum where you can get letters of rec from boarded folks. I'll also second that a high quality dissertation in neuropsych will be a necessity to set yourself up well.
Thank you, I’m not married to neuropsych. My program is VERY new but we’ve had luck with some students going to Yale school of medicine and Albert Einstein medical school for neuro psych. My program gives us some credit for masters level classes so I’m applying for externships this upcoming December/January. Im limited as a first year where I can do externship. I appreciate your advice!

It depends on your desired area of expertise. Speaking from a neuropsych angle, I focused on getting ~600+ hours of combined assessment and intervention experiences, writing as many integrated neuropsych reports as I can, and training in several different types of neuropsych settings (e.g., VA hospital and academic medical centers). Having a dissertation and research experiences related to your clinical areas also helps. In short, you want to develop a broad set of clinical experiences and start to identify potential areas of growing expertise.

I think from my peers in my program who are more interested in psychotherapy, their experiences were similar in terms of developing a breadth of clinical experiences and some area of growing expertise (in research or clinical work).

Of course you should also do well in your classes, don't do anything nuts/unethical, etc. Your professor is correct that if you are not geographically restricted there are many internship opportunities.
He had explained to me that even though we’re a small program, the amount of available sites now are worlds ahead of what it used to be. Expanding where I’m willing to move to greatly Increases the odds. He explained with the amount of internships there are today, one doesn’t have to worry much. Is that fair?

Thank you, I’m not married to neuropsych. My program is VERY new but we’ve had luck with some students going to Yale school of medicine and Albert Einstein medical school for neuro psych. My program gives us some credit for masters level classes so I’m applying for externships this upcoming December/January. Im limited as a first year where I can do externship. I appreciate your advice!

As an FYI, the "big" names for undergrad and such do not necessarily translate into what is considered one of the top internships/postdocs, particularly in neuropsych.

As an FYI, the "big" names for undergrad and such do not necessarily translate into what is considered one of the top internships/postdocs, particularly in neuropsych.
Really? I did not know that. So Yale and Albert Einstein aren’t one of the top tier internships?

Really? I did not know that. So Yale and Albert Einstein aren’t one of the top tier internships?

For neuropsych, I would not consider them in the top tier (~5ish). They are perfectly fine internships, but there are programs with better opportunities and training.

For neuropsych, I would not consider them in the top tier (~5ish). They are perfectly fine internships, but there are programs with better opportunities and training.
Thank you! Do you have any advice for someone who is not targeting neuro psych?

Thank you! Do you have any advice for someone who is not targeting neuro psych?

It'd be similar coming from an unknown quantity grad program. Stand out, get good letters from people in the area in which you want to practice. Show some research acumen.

Coming from a non-state university Psy.D. program, to combat what are going to likely be some stereotypes against you, the biggest bang for your buck may be trying to get some significant research experience (ideally one or more publications along with some poster presentations at national conferences). Which goes along with getting quality clinical experience in your area(s) of interest across diverse patient populations and practice settings. And if you can also fit in doing an original research dissertation rather than capstone project or equivalent, even better.

You may never do research again after graduate school, but those factors will probably make you stand out.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Coming from a non-state university Psy.D. program, to combat what are going to likely be some stereotypes against you, the biggest bang for your buck may be trying to get some significant research experience (ideally one or more publications along with some poster presentations at national conferences). Which goes along with getting quality clinical experience in your area(s) of interest across diverse patient populations and practice settings. And if you can also fit in doing an original research dissertation rather than capstone project or equivalent, even better.

You may never do research again after graduate school, but those factors will probably make you stand out.
Thank you for this advice, my program is trying to get some research going. Research is limited, unfortunately, but I’m working with a professor to start some original research and my masters advisor and I are trying to get a publication going. I’ve been advised by my program to start looking at externships that for my career interests and internship interests so I’ll have desirable experience when it comes application time. I will start directing my focus at getting what ever research I can get going, thank you!

Research experience never hurts. Start looking at externships in your area of interest, but it is fine to have different experience as well. If there is an area you know you have more interest in, doing 2 externships in the same area could be good. HOURS, all internships have a min. hours cut off, the more clinical hours you accrue, the more internships you can apply to.

Depending on the program and whether they allow it, students will take on an extra practicum or find other experiences. My peers conducted forensic and neuropsych evaluations at our local court system. Apply widely (geographically), it's one year, even in the most "undesirable" location, most people can make it work. Late in your 3rd year you can start looking at the APPIC site and seeing which sites get low number of applicants.

Good letters of references. Ideally, try to finish your dissertation before the start of internships. Work on your personal statements early. Get to know or become friends with upperclassmen in your program. I've noticed some internship programs will take students from the same program because they trust the training from that specific academic program. Also, sometimes former interns can put in a good word for a student who's applying that cycle. Last advice is prepare for the interview. Practice with people, talk to former interns at that site, have good case vignettes, have good questions, learn about the site, and not sure how to phrase this but have decent interpersonal skills.

Research experience never hurts. Start looking at externships in your area of interest, but it is fine to have different experience as well. If there is an area you know you have more interest in, doing 2 externships in the same area could be good. HOURS, all internships have a min. hours cut off, the more clinical hours you accrue, the more internships you can apply to.

Depending on the program and whether they allow it, students will take on an extra practicum or find other experiences. My peers conducted forensic and neuropsych evaluations at our local court system. Apply widely (geographically), it's one year, even in the most "undesirable" location, most people can make it work. Late in your 3rd year you can start looking at the APPIC site and seeing which sites get low number of applicants.

Good letters of references. Ideally, try to finish your dissertation before the start of internships. Work on your personal statements early. Get to know or become friends with upperclassmen in your program. I've noticed some internship programs will take students from the same program because they trust the training from that specific academic program. Also, sometimes former interns can put in a good word for a student who's applying that cycle. Last advice is prepare for the interview. Practice with people, talk to former interns at that site, have good case vignettes, have good questions, learn about the site, and not sure how to phrase this but have decent interpersonal skills.
This is helpful, I already told my wife we may have to move to Alaska for a year 😂 (I’m that serious about APA). Thank you!

Reactions: 2 users
Which internship sites would you consider to be in the top tier for neuropsych? Thanks!

Which internship sites would you consider to be in the top tier for neuropsych? Thanks!

I wouldn't focus on some arbitrary ranking system as much as your fit and what opportunities you can get on internship. Generally, I'm still pushing the large VAMCs as they tend to focus on training and have a lot of different rotations available. Look for things that will really set you apart. Do they have brain cuttings, wadas, surgical brain mapping, access to wide variety of neurological patients, tumor board, pre-surgical epilepsy board, etc? Any hospital can offer you a general neuropsych rotation, but what can you get beyond that?

I wouldn't focus on some arbitrary ranking system as much as your fit and what opportunities you can get on internship. Generally, I'm still pushing the large VAMCs as they tend to focus on training and have a lot of different rotations available. Look for things that will really set you apart. Do they have brain cuttings, wadas, surgical brain mapping, access to wide variety of neurological patients, tumor board, pre-surgical epilepsy board, etc? Any hospital can offer you a general neuropsych rotation, but what can you get beyond that?
That makes sense. I guess what I wanted to know is this: would you say that internship sites that people in the field consider to be top tier are usually the most competitve/difficult to get in? Despite that they might be in undesireble locations? I'm applying to NP internships this year so I'm curious to know. Anxiously waiting to hear back from sites > <

That makes sense. I guess what I wanted to know is this: would you say that internship sites that people in the field consider to be top tier are usually the most competitve/difficult to get in? Despite that they might be in undesireble locations? I'm applying to NP internships this year so I'm curious to know. Anxiously waiting to hear back from sites > <

I think sometimes people chase names of institutions that have a reputation overall in education, but that reputation may not encompass some of their peripheral training programs, like neuropsych. Good experiences and letters from good supervisors mean more than the name of a school that is known for its endowment size when it comes to getting into a good postdoc and beyond.

Top tier at this stage really depends on the person. If you are single and looking all over the country, I would look at the name of the supervisor more than the name of the institution. People will be more impressed if XXX rockstar in the field is a reference than simply having the name Harvard or Yale attached to your CV. Those people live all over the country. That said, working for a rockstar means little if you are married and your spouse can't get a job in the place you choose for post-doc.

This is helpful, I already told my wife we may have to move to Alaska for a year 😂 (I’m that serious about APA). Thank you!
Don't do it, for love of God, DON'T DO IT! :nono: I just finished two years in AK for internship and postdoc. There are less-isolated APA internships out there than the one in this treeless, crap-tastic Arctic wasteland. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Hello Everyone,

I have recently become an official member of SDN (though I have periodically visited for years) and I find the forums so helpful. I am currently in a Clinical Psychology PhD Program, but I am a non-traditional student (i.e. much older than my cohort, a full-time working professional in the field, and full-time PhD Student). Though I have navigated this rather well, I do have a real concern regarding the APPIC internship required in order to graduate. As a person with a chronic health condition who needs to retain her current employer's benefits and the central financial contributor for my retired parent, I cannot realistically afford to quit my full time job to take on a full time internship which would result in a significant pay decrease. This would have major implications for mine and my family's well-being.

In relation to this, I know that APA has recently committed to taking steps to address barriers for marginalized communities in pursuing doctoral degrees, such as allowing for the required APPIC internship to be completed within 2 years as opposed to the typical 1 year standard. Though I have noted this on the APA website, this is not reflected on any of the internship sites that I have perused on the APPIC internship portal; most all still reflecting a full-time internship (whether they are accredited or not).

In thinking ahead, my question is 1) has anyone pursued or completed a part-time APPIC internship? If so, how do I initiate that process? Will I need to contact internship sites directly in advance of applying to request a consideration for special circumstance?

Any information you can provide to this non-traditional student would be helpful.

Last edited:
I don’t have much in the way of answers to your questions as I wasn’t even aware APPIC allows you to extend it to two years. But I do want to ask if you’re certain you want to do that. Some APA intern sites pay enough to live on (not luxurious but able to get by) and offer full benefits. The site I interned at is APA and currently starts interns I think at around $40k with full benefits. Not great money but it’s only for a year so most can scrimp and save off that budget.

IIRC there were a couple of school psych related internship locations in Texas that offered their internship spread over 2 years. I think they were captive sites aimed more at school psych ppl. I mention this because they were definitely outliers, so I’m doubtful this is a path now, particularly for clinical/counseling students.

I agree that the current setup is much less accessible to some, but I haven’t heard of any alt options. If you do hear of anything, please share bc this definitely is going to continue to be a challenge. More people are having to care for aging parents, so the problem isn’t going away anytime soon.

I have seen ppl extend their internship weeks to a month bc of maternity reasons, but that’s far from a formal option.