APA membership

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ironspy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting the first renewal notice for APA dues since I finished training. It's $600 for APA+state+ county. This seems like a racket.

Do people keep their memberships active? Why or why not. I'd love to hear some pros/cons bc right now after boards/MOC fees this all seems like another shakedown.

Edited to add: I didn't even realize that it gets more expensive each year up to year 7!! I'd love to see a breakdown of where that money goes

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
4. For forensic psychiatrists, or those doing expert witness work, being an APA Fellow or Distinguished fellow is a box to check off on voir dire for your qualifications as you will likely be asked about your professional memberships; if you are sued you will also likely be asked about this (along with "doctor, are you board certified?)

Sorry for the potentially off-topic question - how much does board certification play a role if you are being sued? Or does your comment apply for forensics only?

I'm dropping mine this year. Had it for years. Getting too overly leftist political - beyond the usual. Commenting on things that really are outside the purview of a Psychiatric Organization. That's not where I want my money to go. Also failing to 'militarize' against mid-levels year after year after year. Failing to make bigger strides on parity.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry for the potentially off-topic question - how much does board certification play a role if you are being sued? Or does your comment apply for forensics only?
80% of malpractice cases are settled out of court. In those cases, it probably doesn't make much difference since whether you are board certified or not is really immaterial to the issue of negligence. However, if the case goes to court, you can bet the plaintiff is going to make a big deal of it. You could try to shield this information from the jury (as they are likely to see it as a negative). In some jurisdictions (e.g. Maryland), the jury is not allowed to know if a doctor lacks board certification in malpractice cases.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, only because my hospital pays for it...Otherwise not a chance in hell it'd happen

Reactions: 1 user
I keep mine involved because I get a boatload of CME money each year that I can't use easily in another way. The APA can be a great organization to get involved with once you move beyond being "just" a member. Try to get involved in one of the national councils if you can (this is often a product of networking with people that are already involved). Being a representative and more involved in your district branch can also make you feel more connected to the organization. Simply being a member and going to the annual meeting (which I've been to twice and did not particularly enjoy) is not how you get the most of your membership.