APA Membership

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cosmo75

Post-Doctoral Fellow
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got my renewal for my APA student membership in the mail. I was curious if you all belong to the APA. I've been a member since I started grad school. Aside from the monthly "Monitor" and "American Psychologist," as well as a discount on a journal, I really don't know why I'm a member. Honestly, I felt like it was frowned upon by practicum/internship DCT's if you didn't have that on your CV. Now that I'm basically done and have a post-doc lined up, I'm curious if I should maintain my membership.

Why are/aren't you an APA member? :thumbdown: / :thumbup:

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a member. Also a member of several division and additional associations and foundations. Because:
-I like free money. If you want APA Division Awards (I do), or any other kind of award, you better be a member of the thing you apply to.
-Without getting into detail, I do stuff for APAGS. Stuff that's worth a lot more than $50. If you aren't happy with how the profession is heading or want to work to change other things, APA and APAGS would be the place to start to influence things.

I'm a member because the APA provides cheap "malpractice"-type insurance for students doing their practicums. My school requires membership for this reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got my renewal for my APA student membership in the mail. I was curious if you all belong to the APA. I've been a member since I started grad school. Aside from the monthly "Monitor" and "American Psychologist," as well as a discount on a journal, I really don't know why I'm a member. Honestly, I felt like it was frowned upon by practicum/internship DCT's if you didn't have that on your CV. Now that I'm basically done and have a post-doc lined up, I'm curious if I should maintain my membership.

Why are/aren't you an APA member? :thumbdown: / :thumbup:

Thanks!

Not a member, and most of my supervisors either aren't or keep asking themselves why they bother. Mostly it is because of 2 things-1. Army psychologists don't need malpractice insurance, and 2. The APA continues to make itself look like a political organization (not a professional one) that is becoming more and more anti-militay psychologist. Byt he way, your signature block is hilarious. Ferris Beuller. Nice.

I am a member of APA and 2 Divisons (Clinical Psyhology and Advancement of Pharmacotherapy). I think membership is very valuable because the APA is the main voice that lobbies for psychologists. Some of your membership dues go to legislative advocacy such as passing RxP, obtaining hospital privileges, passing mental health parity, protecting our turf from master's level counselors and MSWs, etc. It may not be as effective and efficient as we would like, but it is the best we have

As others have stated, I am in it for the division benefit (division 40 - clinical neuropsychology) and the $35/year insurance for my practicum. Oh, and I enjoy the publications.

Not a member, and most of my supervisors either aren't or keep asking themselves why they bother. Mostly it is because of 2 things-1. Army psychologists don't need malpractice insurance, and 2. The APA continues to make itself look like a political organization (not a professional one) that is becoming more and more anti-militay psychologist. Byt he way, your signature block is hilarious. Ferris Beuller. Nice.

I recently read a book that complained about the APA being more of a political entity than a scientific one. The writer said it reduces its scientific credibility because it doesn't always have the evidence to back up its stances, and alienates people who disagree with its views.

Member, primarily for the insurance.

I've said it elsewhere, but I would seriously consider not renewing my membership after graduation since I'm incredibly disappointed with a number of directions the organization seems to be taking and I'm worried they are no longer acting in the interests of people like me. If APS or others were to step up and form a separate system I'd probably leave APA, since their ideals seem to be a closer match to my own.

That said, I'm far from settled on that and there are certainly advantages, which is why the decision is not an easy one. Even though its pretty rare for me to see something all that helpful in monitor, gradpsych, or American Psychologist, the few that are have been absolutely fantastic. Definitely taken advantage of journal discounts. A part of me feels ridiculous paying for journals that are available elsewhere, but I'm MUCH more likely to read things if they show up on my desk.

They definitely offer a number of great opportunities for students, there's no arguing that. Yet parts of it seem really sketchy, so its a balancing act. For the time being I'm content to remain a member, but only time will tell if I can continue to support them.

two questions:

1. can i join as an undergrad, or do i need to be in a doctoral program?

2. is there a general APA membership and divisions i can choose to join thereafter, or is the only way to gain APA membership by joining a specific division right off the bat?

I'm an undergrad and I'm a student member. I don't think you have to join a certain division.

I belong to my state assoc, and I believe in some of the work of the Divisions are doing, but I feel like the APA as a whole is not serving my interests. I plan on "being the change" (per Ghandi), though I think I will stick to the state level.

This is a fascinating thread. I like it when this kind of stuff is on SDN. Very relevlant. Maybe the APA leadership should take a look at this thread. Students are the pool from which they will get their next generation of members.

two questions:

1. can i join as an undergrad, or do i need to be in a doctoral program?

2. is there a general APA membership and divisions i can choose to join thereafter, or is the only way to gain APA membership by joining a specific division right off the bat?

It's $27 for an undergrad membership (http://www.apa.org/membership/dues.html). You can join divisions later, if you choose to, by visiting the division site (listed here http://www.apa.org/about/division.html).

Members don't see this ad :)
For all of you who don't think the APA is sensitive to practitioner interests, there is a fairly new organization called the National Association of Professional Providers in Psychology (NAPPP) that is 100% made-up of practitioners and works on advocating for professional psychology.

Their website is at: NAPPP.ORG

Here is a direct link to one of their newsletters: http://nappp.org/back/Oct2008.pdf

For all of you who don't think the APA is sensitive to practitioner interests, there is a fairly new organization called the National Association of Professional Providers in Psychology (NAPPP) that is 100% made-up of practitioners and works on advocating for professional psychology.

Their website is at: NAPPP.ORG

Here is a direct link to one of their newsletters: http://nappp.org/back/Oct2008.pdf

They aren't ideal either (IMHO), but they do offer an alternative to APA....particularly for practitioners. I have attended both NAPPP and APA events and I think there are opportunities for people if you can find an issue that you are passionate about. I'm hoping the NAPPP causes the APA to be a bit more proactive and (god forbid) progressive.....while I hope the APA influences the NAPPP to be a bit more moderate with some of their goals.

Interesting points, thanks. I'm still on the fence. We weren't required to join for insurance. Guess my mega bucks prof. school covers that from their operating budget :D

I do like the journals, and having a hard copy prompts me to read up on things versus relying on the online library access. I know I just won't go in and read as much. Though I do get the auto-emails from PubMed, but I just file those away in my "to do" folder in email.

i am an APA member for a few reasons:

1) cheap disability insurance.

2) in affidavits you usually cite your memberships in various organizations as part of your statement. i like to take up at least half a page with memberships alone.

3) it's nice to be up on the most recent research from the division journals and some of it is very interesting

4) the practice directorate does some good. or they at least remind you of deadlines approaching (e.g., medicare provider numbers being due)

5) meeting folks through division meetings (fellow nerds who understand psych/brain jokes)

6) it is really not that expensive.

7) they do some good advocacy work, including the infamous capwhiz system which helps you to email your congress people letters if you choose.

8) it mildly helped with licensure

I'm a member of my state organization, APA, and divisions 55 (psychopharm), and 38 (health). Listservs looks great for post doc positions!

I'm a member of my state organization, APA, and divisions 55 (psychopharm), and 38 (health). Listservs looks great for post doc positions!

Do you find the Div. 38 membership useful?

i do find it nice to get the journals delivered and read the listserv's

Listservs looks great for post doc positions!

Was this a reference to networking over the listserv and getting your name out there, or finding out about potential post-doc positions that might not be widely advertised via the listserv?

Just curious. I get emails from a few, but I've never actually sent anything out.

finding out about. at least, I feel like there are post doc positions often posted. maybe b/c I'm not looking I think there is a lot?

The APA continues to make itself look like a political organization (not a professional one) that is becoming more and more anti-militay psychologist.

In what way could the APA possibly be seen as anti-military? It took us months and months and protests at the convention to get them to approach the actions against torture that the AMA and the other APA took. A former APA pres (Seligman) was a consultant on torture methods with SEAR. Hardly hostile.

In what way could the APA possibly be seen as anti-military? It took us months and months and protests at the convention to get them to approach the actions against torture that the AMA and the other APA took. A former APA pres (Seligman) was a consultant on torture methods with SEAR. Hardly hostile.

Because the position they took is basically that you cannot even consult as a military psychologist during interrogations to MAKE SURE TORTURE IS NOT HAPPENING. One does need to read between the lines to infer from this that the APA thinks the one thing that military psychologists could do to relieve suffering is out of bounds. Translation--we don't think there is anything for psychologists to do in the military (except treat soldiers). They also have decided that many things are "torture" that we (military psychologists) don't think qualify as such. When the new rules take effect, it will be unethical for a military psychologist to perform his/her duties. This is exactly what they want.

What is comming next is an assault on the concept that the client is actually the military, not necessarily the individual soldier. This bothers them because it means our job is to make sure the fighting force is ready to do it's job, (kill people/break things) even if that means kicking people out for certain diagnoses. THAT is particularly disturbing to them. The whole concept of psychologists working in the service of being the "blunt end of American foreign policy" is anathema to the APA.

Last edited:
They also have decided that many things are "torture" that we (military psychologists) don't think qualify as such.

I think that this is the heart of the issue. It's quite subjective, perhaps more political than psychological, but even if the reverse is true, it's not in the military's hands to define who they are and aren't torturing, psychologists or not.

I.e., the person being “tortured” –if you like to put that word in quotes—should have some say. The point is that, because many of these sites are outside of international law, these persons do not. And the psychologists working there are also not required to abide by international law, as the very sites in which the detainees are held and ““tortured”” are outside of the Geneva Conventions.

Though psychologists do not have a written code of ethics like medical doctors, the recent APA referendum was a step in that direction. In my opinion. Which is a subjective, political opinion, but in this case we are not outside of that realm, but rather deep within it. So we shouldn’t act as if we are above it.

Jocknerd, I think that the recent recognition of the APA, via the passing of the recent resolution, of the deep embedding of the military within psychology as a scientific discipline (as well as what that meant for recent wars) may be the issue at hand. The text of the referendum can be found here: http://www.withholdapadues.com/apa2007_resolution.html

Other recommended reading from the same base site for anyone interested in the issue:
http://www.withholdapadues.com/supportinglit.html
http://www.withholdapadues.com/
Thankfully the referendum passed.

And perhaps I should respond to this part as well, but I would rather just isolate the quote. Is this what we are studying to do and become?

What is comming next is an assault on the concept that the client is actually the military, not necessarily the individual soldier. This bothers them because it means our job is to make sure the fighting force is ready to do it's job, (kill people/break things) even if that means kicking people out for certain diagnoses.

And perhaps I should respond to this part as well, but I would rather just isolate the quote. Is this what we are studying to do and become?

Indeed, this is a point that is debatable. However, with the way the winds are blowing at the APA, if my prediction comes true, it will force military psychoogists to form their own organization-perhaps the Association of Military Psychologists? That would not bother me one bit.