APA site visit 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chai_latte

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it a risk to attend a program that is currently APA accredited but has its next APA site visit in 2015? Might it lose its accreditation?

Members don't see this ad.

I mean, it's going to be kind of hard to avoid attending PhD programs that don't have a site visit in the length of time you will be there.

Reactions: 1 users
There is a regular cycle of re-acred for all APA-acred programs, so as long as the review is part of that (and not part of a F/U because the program was put on probation), the program should be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There is a regular cycle of re-acred for all APA-acred programs, so as long as the review is part of that (and not part of a F/U because the program was put on probation), the program should be fine.

This. If the site's been accredited for a while and hasn't had difficulties in the past, I wouldn't be overly concerned with it.

The up side with a visit that early on is that you then may then be able to make it out of your program before another visit occurs. And if there are problems, it's early enough that you can start some contingency planning (if at all necessary) without having already invested 3, 4, 5, etc. years into your training.

We had one mid-way through my time in grad school and it never caused any problems.

I lived through 2 site visits (I transferred programs with my advisor) both were 7 year re-ups. Agree with AA, as long as they had 5 or 7 years before this one, they'll be ok. Unless they really ****ed up

LSU is the only program that comes to mind that seemed to really drop the ball last year.

LSU is the only program that comes to mind that seemed to really drop the ball last year.

And even then (i.e., if they drop the ball), the APA generally offers programs an opportunity to address the concerns rather than just yanking accreditation outright.