Apartment or Home: Part Deux

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Santiago12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like the thread lower down, I too am going to live somewhat close to my school next year. The big difference for me is that instead of my house being a mere 20 min away, it is about 50 min to an hour. I saw another poster mentioning he made this journey on a regular basis. My car is very fuel efficient and to rent an apartment close by to campus is at least 700 plus the cost of food. Is it even possible to do dental school spending 10 hrs a week at least in the car? Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Like the thread lower down, I too am going to live somewhat close to my school next year. The big difference for me is that instead of my house being a mere 20 min away, it is about 50 min to an hour. I saw another poster mentioning he made this journey on a regular basis. My car is very fuel efficient and to rent an apartment close by to campus is at least 700 plus the cost of food. Is it even possible to do dental school spending 10 hrs a week at least in the car? Any thoughts?

Yes, it is possible. Some people, like myself, don't like living in the city, so commuting is worth it. But we sacrifice play time and study time. We have done just fine in school, but you really need to have the desire to live or it would be necessary to live where your house is because the commute will get old at times. Do I regret living where I do and sacrificing the time that I do? Absolutely not!

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend drove 80 miles roundtrip everyday from Fountain Valley to USC Dental School. He had no problem with his 2 hours commute.

sure...In SFO, a few people take the BART everyday (plus MUNI = 40-60 mins one way)
It can be done. But be prepared to get up early for morning class.:):)

If you get a system ready to get some lecture recordings on disc so you can listen while you drive, it might not be that bad.