Suggestions about an at-home setup

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlb916

Reaction score
Due to at home responsibilities and needing to be home in the evenings it is hard for me to stay at school to practice drilling after hours. I'm looking for options to be able to practice drilling at home. Our handpieces are electric. It does not need to be anything fancy just something that will run my high speed handpiece and have a rheostat. I would prefer to have an air syringe as well but that would just be a bonus. I'm not looking to spend an arm and a leg. A few hundred is what I'm thinking but the cheaper the better. Let me know your ideas and options! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m not aware of any inexpensive options. I have since graduated, but I’m not aware of any of my classmates doing anything like this either. I would imagine the only way something like this would be possible would be if you knew a doc in private practice who would let you use one of their operatories after hours or on the weekend. Which may or may not be anymore convenient that your current school options.

Reactions: 1 user
What about arriving earlier to the school and practicing in the mornings?

Or if you're close by, you could practice on Saturday/Sunday mornings? More quiet, less people around. I always liked to do this instead during dental school.

What I did was practice prepping in the sim lab and then practice doing the fillings at home if I wasn't in the mood to go to clinic. (Less equipment, just bond, composite and shaping instruments).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to the pandemic, your faculty may be a little more sympathetic, but they also know the limits. I would ask your professor in charge of the class as well as your student services office. This would not fall under disability services, but you can see if such an accommodation has been designed for students who had to be home.

I agree don't hold your breath that you get you want. I have never heard about such a setup and would still advise you use the sim lab. I definitely agree that if you have at-will access to your lab that you find the time to practice on your own. Isn't that the point of a $1M lab?

For the electric handpiece, you can try this. I have this at my office but I only use the straight handpiece for lab work and retainer adjustments.

Hello,
I was in the exact situation and had to practice at home mainly in the first 2 years. Talk to your Bien Air rep if you are using Bien air- the system is actually very affordable, and connect it to an air compressor (can buy from Home Depot).