Apartment Rent $$

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpartanDDS83

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much do/will you guys pay for rent? By yourself or with roommates? I'm looking to have a broad idea of rent ranges that other students are paying.

Members don't see this ad.

How much do/will you guys pay for rent? By yourself or with roommates? I'm looking to have a broad idea of rent ranges that other students are paying.

Really depends on your location.

Reactions: 1 users
Really depends on your location.

Yup

To give you an idea of how much it can vary, here's my history:

Downtown Chicago in a tiny studio with no roommate: $1200 + $200 for the parking fee for my car
Rural Pennsylvania with 1 roommate in a small house: $500
Houston with 1 roommate: $600
Houston with Mom: free

Members don't see this ad :)
$840 one bed room apartment in buffalo(considered expensive in the area)
Includes all except for cable/internet.
Parking space
Washer/dryer in the basement

Why I pay so much? 5 minute walk to school. 5 minute drive to walmart. 15 minute drive to airport. Got some beautiful windows too, lots of natural light on top floor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
In the safe area of Memphis I was looking at around $1,200 - $1,400 a month for a one bedroom so I ended up buying a condo. After doing the math I figured that the monthly mortgage including taxes and association fees came out cheaper than rent and I'd at least have some equity at the end of the four years.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks yall. Im looking suburbs of chicago area and seeing most 1bed/1bath for like $1100-$1300. Studios are a little cheaper but having a washer/dryer is a necessity for me.

In the safe area of Memphis I was looking at around $1,200 - $1,400 a month for a one bedroom so I ended up buying a condo. After doing the math I figured that the monthly mortgage including taxes and association fees came out cheaper than rent and I'd at least have some equity at the end of the four years.
Financially it seems like a good move. I just hope that your local market at least maintains its property value, and doesn't drop.
You'll be able to write off some interest on your taxes next year too!

$1050 for a 2-story apartment located right across the street from the dental school.

Pros:
1. 30 second walk to class
2. washer + dryer
3. parking stall
Cons:

$900, 2 bedroom condo 15 minutes from the school
washer/dryer and parking
Perk of Ohio's cheap cost of living.

$900, 2 bedroom condo 15 minutes from the school
washer/dryer and parking
Perk of Ohio's cheap cost of living.
That is crazy cheap, I charge about 2500 for 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom on my third floor house. It's not even close to a dental school. :rolleyes:

$400 with roommates. MO is really cheap :)

Ohio - $875 for a luxury apartment that includes all utilities and parking. 10 minute walk from the school.

$750-775 for a studio (400 sq. ft) in Detroit downtown. 10 min (~2 mi.) away from school (driving), it has microwave, but washer and dryer seemed not included in my house. My school seems to be a commuting school so I'm going to have to pay for a parking spot at my apartment ($100/month).

Total including parking= $850-875 (not sure if electric and water is included in the rent, I'm assuming not)

$275 Gainesville, Fl. Utilities are about $200 split four ways. Place is a single-family home and quite nice.

Which complex do you live in? I’m currently trying to decide on an apartment for UB dental. Between Bethune, Strathmore, and Axis at the moment..

University Courts. 14214

3 bd/2ba single family home with garage and driveway parking, nice backyard and neighborhood, 10 min drive to campus: $1400 + utilities