Apathy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grinchick5

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, here’s the deal…ever since my acceptance in December I’ve taken apathy to new heights. Work? Screw it. Focus? What, huh? My work day consists of killing as much time as possible.:sleep: :sleep: All I Want to do is start medical school.

I’ve already signed a lease on a condo near school and I’ve been cleaning, organizing, & de-cluttering my apartment like a madwomen in preparation for my move (even though it’s nearly 5 months away). I’ve had a physical, finished my titers, and scheduled my booster shots. I can’t wait for my taxes to be finished so I can start the financial aid application. Oh, and I’m spending way more time on SDN than any normal, healthy person ever should.

Having an acceptance in hand is more frustrating than playing the admissions game. I’m in and I WANT TO START NOW!! If it’s not med-school related, forgetaboutit…I couldn’t care less. Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

What school are you going to?

Med school is dam hard...you ll want your old life back after a few weeks/months of med school. ENjoy yourself now.

Members don't see this ad :)
be distgustingly lazy now. Get it out of your system before med school starts. When I think how I don't feel like studying I think of how lazy I was the summer before med school. I'm still a slacker at heart but you have to draw the line somewhere!

All except for this part...DITTO.

I'm ready to move NOW...

All I need is for the wife to find a job down there and we're off...nothing holding me here at all...except KSU BBall games...

Your wife's an RN? Shoot! If she showed up on the doorstep of some hospitals HR office, they'd probably put her to work that shift! Some hospital are hurting!

Make sure they pay her well and don't believe that nonsense about rural hospital not negotiating. I don't know how she feels about it, but she might want to try going down on a travel assignment with an agency. They would pay living expenses for the duration of the assignment and give you time to find her a permenant job. Pick the right agency and you can make sweet money!

.. and tell her to make sure she negotiates hard with her future DO partner when she gets her NP! Make him pay through the nose! :laugh: :smuggrin:

I have the opposite problem to a certain extent. I haven't even read through my entire student services packet yet...I need to get on the ball.
I want to start school and quit my job, but after going through the application process, I'm sick of dealing with paperwork for a little while.

CCOM/Midwestern

Med school is dam hard...you ll want your old life back after a few weeks/months of med school. ENjoy yourself now.

I’ve heard this before, but I’m not convinced (maybe I'm just stubborn). I think my issue is that I'm not actively working toward my major life goal of attending medical school & becoming a physician. School was OK, needed the pre-reqs. MCAT was cool, needed the score. Work was fine, for a while, needed a few years off from school & wanted to give my all to the application process. All these steps were moving me forward. For the next 5 months, my life is stagnant. I’m pretty sure I won’t be wishing for THIS part of my life when med school is kicking my a**.

I've got an exam today. My preparation has consisted of:

1. staying up really late to surf the web instead of study
2. waking up early (only b/c my car is broken)
3. deciding to skip my first class to sleep in
4. drive to school, skip my third class to study
5. eat a tasty hoagie instead of study
6. eat some chips

Maybe I'll study now. But honestly, motivation to study for a psych101 class that I'm currently taking with like 100 freshmen? ZERO.

Your wife's an RN? Shoot! If she showed up on the doorstep of some hospitals HR office, they'd probably put her to work that shift! Some hospital are hurting!

Make sure they pay her well and don't believe that nonsense about rural hospital not negotiating. I don't know how she feels about it, but she might want to try going down on a travel assignment with an agency. They would pay living expenses for the duration of the assignment and give you time to find her a permenant job. Pick the right agency and you can make sweet money!

.. and tell her to make sure she negotiates hard with her future DO partner when she gets her NP! Make him pay through the nose! :laugh: :smuggrin:

Yes...the only issue is actually getting in touch with someone to speak about jobs...

It's a challenge for some reason.

I'm taking slacking to new heights and I'm in a glorious quest to see how much non-work I can get away with without actively screwing over anyone at my office.

My days lately consist of reading SDN, chatting with co-workers about <x> TV show or any number of misc. subjects, or trying to take a nap without making it too obvious. It's really sad, but oddly satisfying after all of the work I had to put in during the last 3 years of Post-Bacc.

In a lot of ways I want to start right now so that I don't lose my edge.

I am in the same boat. I have an acceptance and if it is not related to moving or starting school I don't care about it. I am having a hard time focusing at work, even though the only thing I am doing while my cells grow is reading.

4.5 months to go at work and then buh bye.

I feel ya. I am in the can't wait for med school to start mode. I want to move, get an apartment, decorate it, and quit my job. My job is great, pays well, little responsibility, and I can take days off whenever I need it. Every day is different so it's never boring, but I'm getting over it. I only have another 3.5 months until I can quit, go to Europe for a month, then come back and move, start school, all that stuff.

Also, taking this year off, I feel like I'm ready to get back into the study mode. That's what I'm used to. It's nice to have a little break, but I feel like I'm ready to start already.

If I could just get in a groove of studying and finishing up my online Physics II class..(which I would never recommend...there is virtually NO feedback)...I would startin honing my skills at Gears of War!

Broke out NCAA Hoops 2K7 yesterday..that is a fun one!

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel ya. I am in the can't wait for med school to start mode. I want to move, get an apartment, decorate it, and quit my job. My job is great, pays well, little responsibility, and I can take days off whenever I need it. Every day is different so it's never boring, but I'm getting over it. I only have another 3.5 months until I can quit, go to Europe for a month, then come back and move, start school, all that stuff.

Also, taking this year off, I feel like I'm ready to get back into the study mode. That's what I'm used to. It's nice to have a little break, but I feel like I'm ready to start already.

I want to do a month in europe as well. I was thinking of taking 2 weeks in Italy (Rome/venice/milan), then going to Paris for a few days and whereever else the rails take me. Unfortunately, I will need to file a FAFSA to fund that ambition :( Anyone got any cheap deals on travel?! :laugh:

I'm taking slacking to new heights and I'm in a glorious quest to see how much non-work I can get away with without actively screwing over anyone at my office.

:laugh: :laugh:
Good thing we don't work in the same office. There's no way 2 of us would be able to get away with it.

LOL! I know how you feel!!!:laugh: :sleep: Except, I still have to suffer through the rest of organic 2 before I can start. If I didn't, I would already be in Tennessee.;)

I want to do a month in europe as well. I was thinking of taking 2 weeks in Italy (Rome/venice/milan), then going to Paris for a few days and whereever else the rails take me. Unfortunately, I will need to file a FAFSA to fund that ambition :( Anyone got any cheap deals on travel?! :laugh:

Fly out on off days, usually during the middle of the week. Avoid flying into London, as they've tacked on all sorts of taxes for flying into London. Stay in hostels to keep costs low. Also, avoid eating in the touristy areas. Usually, if you walk a couple blocks, you can eat really well for really cheap. I remember eating in Rome for practically nothing. I got an appetizer, entire pizza, dessert, and glass of wine for 8 Euro. And if you're going from Rome to Venice, might as well stop in Florence. It's one of my favorite Italian cities. Absolutely gorgeous, and a great nightlife.

I did the Europe thing last year as well. Although that was mostly Western Europe. This year, I'll be doing Mediteranean and Eastern Europe.

I echo this....There isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish for my old life back. In a sense, it is somewhat of a selfish statement b/c I have been given a great gift. I have been given the gift to study medicine. Although I complain, I really do like it. Its a double edged sword. You will hate it once you are in, but you will like what you will learn and become. Sorry if I sound incoherent, I just studied the morphology of neoplasms.

Im so sick of working that I cut my hours to one day a week, 24 hours but still only one day lol....I cant wait until school starts Im so ready to start moving on with the rest of my life I feel like Im stuck in a hold pattern.... Well hopefully the school will send some more crap that I have to fill out to waste some time...

I just gave my 2 weeks notice at my terribly, terribly terrible and stressful job so I can sell people invisible fences. :thumbup: :D I just want to move to TN and get this ish started.

Tomorrow I have an exam in a class that I really want to drop. I opened the text book, then used it to prop my feet up while I played Halo. Two hours of that made me sleeply, so I took a nap.

Tomorrow I have an exam in a class that I really want to drop. I opened the text book, then used it to prop my feet up while I played Halo. Two hours of that made me sleeply, so I took a nap.

High five.

With it being the heart of conference college basketball season and my team finally being in the thick of things in the Big 12, it's certainly not helping my study habits...

But, I found an AWESOME website for help with my physics stuff tonight, so that should help to make things better.

I was already unmotivated at work (winter blues?), but it's gotten really bad lately knowing I won't be here to see the end of most of these projects...

That's what I'm talkin' about. Let's hear it for total apathy. :clap:

Today at work, I submitted one paper for publication (it was all written weeks ago, I just had to click "submit") and made one phone call&#8230;then I ate lunch, pretended I had to pick up the hubby and went home early.

Don't get me wrong, I feel bad about slacking like this, but I can't seem to snap out of it. I figure I might as well be the best damn slacker I can be. Thus, I shall celebrate my total lack of motivation.

Apathy now, huh? As others have said, enjoy it b/c med school is a whole different ball game. It's not that it's that hard, but there really is just a ton of material. Not to mention we have that ton of material now + board studying to be done.

All the above mention work seems to take another -pathy out of you: Empathy. I was seriously a very empathetic person before I started school & now it's like they have beaten it out of me w/ every note packet we get. Thank God that I got to shadow over Xmas & remember what it was that I wanted to do w/ my life again. You really do have to keep the big picture in focus so you don't lose that part of yourself that really does love medicine (or the idea of it anyway).

Cheers to slacking...I will be joining the slackers group on June 29 1700 when I finish the USMLE (COMLEX 2 weeks earlier)...

I have fallen into the same unmotivated mode. I've also been lazy and getting fat, so I've decided to take up adventure racing. The first race is at the end of March, and at least I'll stay fit, have fun, and think about something other than "I wish I was in the anatomy lab." Hopefully I'll be able to continue racing throughout school, because I think I'll need the exercise to stay sane.

I'm having a great time as I wait for medical school. People ask what I am doing and I smile and say, "doing nothing at all." It is nice not having obligations. I have a ton of books I want to read, just returned from snow skiing, will be going on a medical mission trip in May, house hunting soon, visiting s.o. in another city as often as our schedules allow, sailing, modeling, volunteering, shopping, updating my house that will be listed soon, hanging out with friends esp. since I'll be moving soon. This is really a great time in my life. I no longer have to wonder if I'm going to be a med. student and no longer have to live 3 contingency plans just in case I don't get in. The world is my play ground. I can do what ever I want, learn what ever I want, shadow whom ever I want, go where ever I want over the next 5 months. This is my time and no one else's (benefits of being single). I hope you find your place of restfulness and peace in the here and now.

I'm in the same boat. I've been accepted and I don't want to go to work, I don't want to go to class, I don't want to do anything. I'm considering buying a video game system to kill some time. Good call, get it out of the system. EXCELLENT CHOICE.

I feel the same way in terms of wanting to start school. However, I continue to work full time evaluating and treating patients. Med school will be a great break from patient interaction and paperwork. I hope I get to take a vacation or something before school starts, but trying to pay off as much credit card debt and buying DVDs is keeping me at the grind, plus I think my wife would go insane with me at home all the time, and I would be bored out of my mind. These months will fly by, so I'm just trying to enjoy work and my freetime as much as possible.

I feel the same way in terms of wanting to start school. However, I continue to work full time evaluating and treating patients. Med school will be a great break from patient interaction and paperwork. I hope I get to take a vacation or something before school starts, but trying to pay off as much credit card debt and buying DVDs is keeping me at the grind, plus I think my wife would go insane with me at home all the time, and I would be bored out of my mind. These months will fly by, so I'm just trying to enjoy work and my freetime as much as possible.

Speaking of buying DVD's...The Departed came out yesterday!!! I highly suggest that everyone check it out. Great film. Not quite Scorcese's best, but the dialogue & acting are brilliant. Look for this one at the Oscar's...