aPD, Please advise.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

winner123

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I m an IMG and I did two weeks of observership under the Director of Undergraduate Medical Education at an accredited US hospital.I made a presentation , answered some difficult questions,participated in discussions.He was very happy with the way and the quality of my voice while making the presentation. He asked me about my scores and I mentioned that they are 96,83.Then he said, inspite of this I was a very good candidate.But, I did not mention my failure in step-2CS.

When I went to get his evaluations on the 'observer evaluation form',he at first tested me by saying that how could he evaluate me in merely two weeks time .He wanted to see my reaction.I was just shocked at first.Then he took the Form from me and just put my evaluations as 'outstanding' and said he was very happy and wanted me to work under him again.He also enquired if I was applying to his program.I was so surprised.

Now, I am very concerned that if I mention my failure in Step-2 CS to him,what impact will it have ? But, I have now also passed my Step-3 as well.Sir,what should I do in this situation ?
(I am sorry for posting so many details.)
Please advise.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I m an IMG and I did two weeks of observership under the Director of Undergraduate Medical Education at an accredited US hospital.I made a presentation , answered some difficult questions,participated in discussions.He was very happy with the way and the quality of my voice while making the presentation. He asked me about my scores and I mentioned that they are 96,83.Then he said, inspite of this I was a very good candidate.But, I did not mention my failure in step-2CS.

When I went to get his evaluations on the 'observer evaluation form',he at first tested me by saying that how could he evaluate me in merely two weeks time .He wanted to see my reaction.I was just shocked at first.Then he took the Form from me and just put my evaluations as 'outstanding' and said he was very happy and wanted me to work under him again.He also enquired if I was applying to his program.I was so surprised.

Now, I am very concerned that if I mention my failure in Step-2 CS to him,what impact will it have ? But, I have now also passed my Step-3 as well.Sir,what should I do in this situation ?
Please advise.
Thanks!

have you subsequently passed Step 2 CS? If so, it's a non-issue. If no, do so pronto.

Please advise.
Thanks!

have you subsequently passed Step 2 CS? If so, it's a non-issue. If no, do so pronto.

The OP must have passed CS, as you can't register for Step 3 without it.

To the OP: You have done this 2 weeks of observership. How much that will help you is unclear. Regardless, your evaluation should be based on your performance there, and I see no reason to tell them about your STep 2 failure. They will of course see it when you apply to their program. Perhaps they will care, perhaps not.

So, my advice is this:

Ask for an LOR from them. If they write one, then that's all you need. If they ask for your USMLE scores to write you a letter, then you're stuck since you'll need to supply them -- but it may not really matter.

The bigger question is whether, when they asked you what your USMLE scores were, and you answered 96/83, whether you were not being truthful. That's a tough question.

The OP must have passed CS, as you can't register for Step 3 without it.

To the OP: You have done this 2 weeks of observership. How much that will help you is unclear. Regardless, your evaluation should be based on your performance there, and I see no reason to tell them about your STep 2 failure. They will of course see it when you apply to their program. Perhaps they will care, perhaps not.

So, my advice is this:

Ask for an LOR from them. If they write one, then that's all you need. If they ask for your USMLE scores to write you a letter, then you're stuck since you'll need to supply them -- but it may not really matter.

The bigger question is whether, when they asked you what your USMLE scores were, and you answered 96/83, whether you were not being truthful. That's a tough question.

Thanks a lot for answering.
Yes, they asked me about my 'board scores',and I answered truthfully that they are 96,and 83 respectively.They did not ask me anything about step-2CS in particular,so I thought that it is not essential for me to tell them about it .
They asked me then about Step-3 and I said truthfully that I have not yet got my results.
I want to make sure that I am not hiding anything from them.I just want to give them all the details they ask for.The problem is that they are not asking anything about Step-2CS or the number of attempts.
Is it right/ essential to mention the number of attempts in Step-2 CS on my CV/Resume even when they do not ask for it? May be, in future, I need to supply them with my resume for getting an LOR.
Earlier another attending from the same hospital asked me for my board scores and resume and I gave the one.He did not ask me anything about Step-2CS or no. of attempts.Then he wrote an LOR for me. Was I correct in not mentioning my failure in Step-2CS on my CV ?

Thanks again!

I subsequently passed my Step-2CS on second attempt,and then passed my Step-3 as well.
Thanks!

You are not required to reveal the number of attempts at each step unless asked. And certainly do not put it on your CV. You have been honest; if they ask about the number of attempts, then tell them.

You are not required to reveal the number of attempts at each step unless asked. And certainly do not put it on your CV. You have been honest; if they ask about the number of attempts, then tell them.

Thanks a lot WS!

You all have been very very helpful !
Best Regards!

He asked me about my scores and I mentioned that they are 96,83.Then he said, inspite of this I was a very good candidate.But, I did not mention my failure in step-2CS.

Well, obviously you did not mention your Step 2 CS failure because you thought it would reflect poorly on you. But it is good that you are concerned that you may have made a mistake. If you did tell him that you had failed Step 2 CS, and were perhaps surprised by that, then the attending would probably appreciate your candor and reassure you that you do have ok clinical skills.

I don't think that the attending has a "right" to ask you about your step scores on a rotation though, it should be an objective evaluation of how you are doing on the rotation. So, you would be within your rights to say, "No comment" or something vague such as "I didn't do as well as I thought I should have, but I am studying hard for Step 3".

The attending was interested in your board scores and sort of put you on the spot to answer him/her. Usually I have seen this happen with students who obviously had knowledge deficiencies or something was off, but they were hardworkers and the attending was wondering how they were able to pass step 1 or 2 CK. But it is good the attending *apparently* thinks you are doing well regardless. If you barely passed Step 2 CK and failed Step 2 CS, then there probably is a knowledge deficit you need to address.

Last edited:
Well, obviously you did not mention your Step 2 CS failure because you thought it would reflect poorly on you. But it is good that you are concerned that you may have made a mistake. If you did tell him that you had failed Step 2 CS, and were perhaps surprised by that, then the attending would probably appreciate your candor and reassure you that you do have ok clinical skills.

I don't think that the attending has a "right" to ask you about your step scores on a rotation though, it should be an objective evaluation of how you are doing on the rotation. So, you would be within your rights to say, "No comment" or something vague such as "I didn't do as well as I thought I should have, but I am studying hard for Step 3".

The attending was interested in your board scores and sort of put you on the spot to answer him/her. Usually I have seen this happen with students who obviously had knowledge deficiencies or something was off, but they were hardworkers and the attending was wondering how they were able to pass step 1 or 2 CK. But it is good the attending *apparently* thinks you are doing well regardless. If you barely passed Step 2 CK and failed Step 2 CS, then there probably is a knowledge deficit you need to address.

Thanks for answering!
The LOR from another attending from the same hospital mentions:
"He regularly went above and beyond what was expected of him."
This I think was due to the fact that on many occasions I answered some of the difficult questions which others were not able to answer.
Yes, there is a disparity between my performance on the Step-2 of the boards and my performance on the floor.
In my case the performance was excellent on the floor,so there is no question of my attending having doubts about how I was able to pass
the boards.
I have now passed my step-3 as well.
Could you please suggest more ways in which I can make up for my 'not so good' performance on the step-2 of the USMLE?
Regards!