APhA-ASP MRMs!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moxxie

Rained out
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys -

I don't normally comment on the "should I be involved in student organizations" threads, because I think that involvement is up to each individual, but I just wanted to pimp something. The APhA-ASP Midyear Regional Meetings are rapidly approaching, and I highly recommend that anyone with even a slight desire to be involved with a pharmacy organization should consider attending their region's MRM.

Here are my top 10 reasons to go to MRM:
10) It's a fun, educational weekend that gives you a chance to meet and network with other pharmacy students from your region.
9) There are many professional workshops: Patient Counseling, Navigating the Residency Process, the Leadership Development Series, Patient Care Projects, Making the Transition to New Practitioner, plus a special regional educational session geared towards the students of your region.
8) Residency & Exhibitor showcase: A great way to contact residency programs & potential employers without having to attend a national conference.
7) A chance to explore a city/town you may have never considered visiting.
6) The MRM is the start of the APhA-ASP policy process – you can make a difference on a national level.
5) Represent your school!
4) You can run for regional office: Member-at-Large, Regional Delegate or MRM Coordinator.
3) One of the cheapest conferences you can attend – more bang for your buck! (The registration fee is only $80 - the fee for the annual meeting is $180!) Plus, you generally don't have to travel as far to get to an MRM.
2) The Friday night socials are usually a blast.
1) It's a fun, easy way to become involved in APhA and the pharmacy world in general.

Why am I stumping for MRM? Well, I'm the Region 7 MRM Coordinator :D Region 7's (Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana & Utah) MRM will be in Boise, Idaho from 10/31-11/2. Other MRMs are happening as soon as next weekend. For more information or to register for your MRM, go to http://www.pharmacist.com/AM/Templa...MPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&CONTENTID=17213

OK, I'm done pimping for now. Back to studying mycology!

Members don't see this ad.

Region 2 MRM in Pittsburgh here I come!
(It's my first time going to an APhA conference.)
The 5-hour ride from Philly to Pittsburgh is not gonna be fun though.

Region 8 San Fran here I come!

Just curious are the MRMs always held in cities where there is a pharmacy school?

Members don't see this ad :)
i probably will go to Cincinnati:) hope it will be fun.

Region 8 San Fran here I come!

Just curious are the MRMs always held in cities where there is a pharmacy school?

I think it's easiest for those hosting it to have it in a town with a school. I'm not sure who officially hosted the MRM in Vegas a couple years ago (my 1st year - 2005).

Have fun at Region 8 MRM - I'm not going this year but a bunch of people I know are.

I would strongly encourage everyone to go too...

Main reasons based on my personal experience on both sides of the fence:
- so people from your school who DO show up don't have to feel embarassed that there is just ten of them and 50+ from every other school in the region
- so that the speakers feel the love instead of trying to figure out if these two tables worth of people are here waiting for them or just stayed late from a previous section
- so you can talk to a lot of neat people from other schools who may be able to help you later when you are applying for a residency, or trying to get a rotation that your school doesn't normally offer

I am going to be in Cincy at the Region 4 MRM. Although it is not my first MRM or meeting in general, I am pumped that it is the first meeting that I am going to that I am 21, so I am not the lame-o who is sitting in my hotel room at 9pm while everyone else is out having a good time....Sorry 2 years in pharmacy school and not being 21 has jaded me...:D

I am going to be in Cincy at the Region 4 MRM. Although it is not my first MRM or meeting in general, I am pumped that it is the first meeting that I am going to that I am 21, so I am not the lame-o who is sitting in my hotel room at 9pm while everyone else is out having a good time....Sorry 2 years in pharmacy school and not being 21 has jaded me...:D

****. I did not realize this.
I think there are gonna be quite a few under-21s in our group, so hopefully we'll find something to do (or won't get carded). Better grow the facial hair out.

Region 5 in Sioux Falls, SD.

I am not sure what there is to do in Sioux Falls, but I'll see....