APhA-ASP Proposal 2005.5 Lower Cost Medications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yes or No

• Yes

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

Caverject

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
APhA-ASP encourages the development of educational resources for pharmacists and student pharmacists on existing assistance programs that provide low-income and uninsured patients access to medications at a reduced cost.

Background Statement:
The current cost of prescription medication today prohibits many low-income and uninsured patients from being adherent with their drug therapy. As a result, many government and private organizations offer assistance programs that allow these patients to obtain medications at a reduced cost. In order to fully utilize these programs, pharmacists and student pharmacists should be familiar with programs offered in their local communities. Knowledge of these programs allows pharmacists to match patients’ needs to the programs available. Overall, the desired effect would be to increase patient adherence and improve medication use through making prescription drugs more affordable to those with financial needs.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. We should be aware of any alternative programs available for our patients.

Yes. I'm all for it. I'm an intern at a pharmacy where there are a lot of underserved. It grates me more though to see a little old lady shell out $200 for her one month supply of meds when there are alternative meds and other avenues to have the prices reduced.