APHA in Pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmypharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To my understanding there are numerous clubs to join in pharmacy school, as I will be a P1 this year I was thinking of just joining one club that's well known to ease myself in without compromising grades for the most part. Is APHA a good and well known club? Would you recommend it?

Members don't see this ad.

It is pretty well known organization. It would be a good one to join. The best organizations to join will be determined by your particular school. Certain organizations may be really active at your school compared to others. For my school, ASHP, AMCP, and NCPA were the really active organizations with lots of professional activities and community outreach opportunities. Most people at my school joined those organizations.

I thought APhA was a great general organization to belong to as a student. You'll find your interests determine your participation as you progress in school. ASHP for hospital, NCPA for indy, the frats for... frat life.

Also, there is such a group as APHA (for public health), so be careful using that acronym instead of APhA (our pharmacy group).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
APhA is a good club to join if you're concerned about time, since there isn't really any commitment aside from paying a yearly fee. Plus, every once in a while they hosted meetings during lunch hour, with free pizza :clap:

On the flip side, if you are an EC junkie, or gunning for residency or whatnot, there are tons of ways to get involved with them. Our school chapter had various APhA subcommittees that we could either join, or even opt to be the heads of. Plus, it's not a bad way to get an in with various faculty members at high places.

Reactions: 1 user
To my understanding there are numerous clubs to join in pharmacy school, as I will be a P1 this year I was thinking of just joining one club that's well known to ease myself in without compromising grades for the most part. Is APHA a good and well known club? Would you recommend it?

To my limited knowledge this organization does less than nothing for our profession. I refused to join on principle alone. ashp and ncpa may be worthy of your dollar.

Reactions: 1 user
To my limited knowledge this organization does less than nothing for our profession. I refused to join on principle alone. ashp and ncpa may be worthy of your dollar.

I think this is true once you're a practicing pharmacist. As a student, membership is cheap and there are a ton of options for involvement and gaining experience at the local, regional, and national levels.

I'd recommend joining for at least the first year and then decide if you want to continue on after that. Like I said, you'll figure out more of what direction you want to head after you've gained some experience.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users