APhA worth it for retail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PharmD RPh

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Couldn't find another thread on this, but wanted to ask current retail pharmacists about this....

I've briefly looked into joining APhA, but yearly membership is $239. Do you think its worth that much to join as a retail pharmacist? Or are there any other professional organizations you've found beneficial? Thanks for the help!
 
Couldn't find another thread on this, but wanted to ask current retail pharmacists about this....

I've briefly looked into joining APhA, but yearly membership is $239. Do you think its worth that much to join as a retail pharmacist? Or are there any other professional organizations you've found beneficial? Thanks for the help!

No. APhA does jack **** for retail pharmacists or pharmacists in general. I rather burn 230 dollars than give it to them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No. APhA does jack **** for retail pharmacists or pharmacists in general. I rather burn 230 dollars than give it to them.

Yeah, that's pretty much all other retail pharmacists told me when I asked them the same thing.
 
That's a major increase...it only cost $58 to join at my school, so I join it every year. $239 is crazy.

If I am a pharmacist and already have a job, I will not join anything. Just do your job, get paid and go home. (or better yet work from home! LOL...)
 
If I am a pharmacist and already have a job, I will not join anything. Just do your job, get paid and go home. (or better yet work from home! LOL...)

Are you gonna go to district meetings? Are you gonna be a preceptor? Are you gonna give immunizations? Where are you gonna get your CE hours? All online or in magazines?

You got ripped off, I paid $40.

So you didn't pay anything to your school chapter?
 
We're starting up APhA at my school this year. $40 was the total that was collected by my school. I'm assuming that includes full membership into APhA (just got the membership card a few days ago) and there is no other fee that I have to pay someone else.

I was under the impression that $40 was the fee for the national membership and then there was another fee for the local chapter membership, making it more than $40. I remember paying $50 or $55.
 
I paid for the membership for a couple years after graduation (it's much less for new practitioners than for pharmacists who have been out of school for a while) and decided it wasn't worth it. And I was involved into in on the national level while I was in school. I guess that tells you what a great value it is. 😀

If you plan on going to the annual meetings, it's worth it, otherwise, probably not.
 
I paid for the membership for a couple years after graduation (it's much less for new practitioners than for pharmacists who have been out of school for a while) and decided it wasn't worth it. And I was involved into in on the national level while I was in school. I guess that tells you what a great value it is. 😀

If you plan on going to the annual meetings, it's worth it, otherwise, probably not.

I guess a part of me felt bad for not supporting our national pharmacy organization, but at the same time, if you're asking for $239, what benefit do I get out of it?
 
Are you gonna go to district meetings? Are you gonna be a preceptor? Are you gonna give immunizations? Where are you gonna get your CE hours? All online or in magazines?

Let's just say I will do everything I need to stay licensed as a pharmacist so I can make my six figures.

I will also do anything I need to benefit myself.

All the other busy work that doesn't benefit me? Nope.

I am just being honest here! 🙂
 
I was under the impression that $40 was the fee for the national membership and then there was another fee for the local chapter membership, making it more than $40. I remember paying $50 or $55.

That sounds right. My APhA dues also include my state organization, so maybe there are separate dues for that?