APMA: Vision 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPMer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The APMA has the big goal of making every CPME approved podiatry residency program to be a minimum of 3 years. What happens to the CPME approved residency programs that are currently 2 years? Also, if all CPME approved residency programs are minimum of 3 years by July 1, 2015, does that mean all residents in those programs will be rearfoot AND forefoot board eligible by ABPS by the time they graduate from residency? Also, as part of this "vision 2015", will there be enough 3 year CPME approved residencies for podiatry graduates? This is also a very big concern, because it could be a deterrent for future pre-med students from applying to podiatry schools and prolonging the legacy of podiatry in American healthcare in the next 50 years if residency shortages become the trend.

Members don't see this ad.

The APMA has the big goal of making every CPME approved podiatry residency program to be a minimum of 3 years. What happens to the CPME approved residency programs that are currently 2 years?

It's not a goal but a reality now. All programs are now 3 years. 2 year programs are either going to add the 3rd year or close their doors. Those are the options.

Also, if all CPME approved residency programs are minimum of 3 years by July 1, 2015, does that mean all residents in those programs will be rearfoot AND forefoot board eligible by ABPS by the time they graduate from residency?

No. I'm assuming the answer will be yes at some point in the future though

Also, as part of this "vision 2015", will there be enough 3 year CPME approved residencies for podiatry graduates?

This isn't a Vision 2015 issue. It's more of a current hot topic that is being dealt with by the APMA, APMSA, COTH, CPME, etc issue. The shortage isn't as big of a deal as people like to make it out to be (that is not entirely just my opinion) but MOST (not all) of the above organizations have held up their end of the bargain in alleviating the "problem". This topic could have an entire thread dedicated to it so I'll leave it at that

This is also a very big concern, because it could be a deterrent for future pre-med students from applying to podiatry schools and prolonging the legacy of podiatry in American healthcare in the next 50 years if residency shortages become the trend.

People don't apply to pod school because they don't know it exists. Again, our professions marketing (or lack thereof) to current college students could have it's own thread

Do you not have an APMSA delegate for your class? They would be a great source of info. Usually much more reliable than SDN...

Last edited:
Do you not have an APMSA delegate for your class? They would be a great source of info. Usually much more reliable than SDN...

Thanks dtrack22. Yes we have an APMSA delegate in my class. I will be more active with that delegate from now on, and take your advice of listening more carefully to my class's APMSA delegate in terms of these issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing wrong with posting such questions on SDN, that's what its for. The more discussion on here the better the forum. I recently inquired of CPME regarding a specific program that is currently a 2 year program, and the requirement to convert to a 3 year program. I was told that if the program doesn't convert to a 3 year program by August 1st, 2012, then the program will be forced to shut down. I hope that such programs will convert, or the residency shortage could increase.

Nothing wrong with posting such questions on SDN, that's what its for.

The point dtrack was making is that if you have direct access to someone with first hand knowledge that person is likely a more reliable source of accurate information than SDN.

Why would you ask an anonymous person on the internet instead of the student in your class you elected to attend national meetings in an official capacity and keep you informed about these issues?

It's good to use your class reps, but I wound't knock a guy for posting questions here as well. I've asked a lot of anonymous questions on sdn and have received a lot of good information from unknown people. I've found that most posters do what they can to help each other out.

It's good to use your class reps, but I wound't knock a guy for posting questions here as well. I've asked a lot of anonymous questions on sdn and have received a lot of good information from unknown people. I've found that most posters do what they can to help each other out.
I agree, but the thing maybe dtrack (and myself) took issue with was that DPMer asked a ton of questions lately... many that he/she could easily find his own answers to. That's all fine and good, as long as he then follows the norm of reciprocity and pays if fwd by answering some pre-pod, junior pod student, etc questions.

If you search, read, ask around, etc and have no luck, then sure... ask away. But sometimes you need to do your own research. Hay dunno... it's the old teach a man to fish vs give him a couple fish concept? No easy answer.

The pendulum is swinging (or has already swung) to a lack of residencies for all, as there is a push to stabilize (and possibly equalize) everyone's post graduate training to 3 years. Currently there are not enough programs to go around. Currently some 2 year programs are having issues making the transition to 3 year programs based on the CPME guidelines for the "new" residency requirements. Currently the way to make sure that you get the RRA training required to sit for the ABPS RRA written examination is to make sure the program you are going to has the distinction of having enough RRA cases to make you eligible for sitting for the RRA written.

None of this is written in stone "yet". Things are in flux atm and may continue to be until ALL the issues are ironed out, and there will be changes made continuously until some kind of stability is reached.

There are NO guarantees in life. If you're looking for a 100% you are destined to be disappointed in life in general. Do what you love, work your ass off and things generally will fall into place. It seems that the luckiest people around are also the ones that tend to work the hardest. Funny how that works.