APMLE Part 1 2021 Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What was a passing score? 75?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know their school’s pass rates? Nycpm didn’t post anything yet.

I would really appreciate any advice, please.
You're going to be fine. You'll retake it on October. My program pulls you out of rotation for September to do a focused study course. You make up the missed rotation instead of taking an elective month off during 4th year.

Residencies won't even know you took it twice when you apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You're going to be fine. You'll retake it on October. My program pulls you out of rotation for September to do a focused study course. You make up the missed rotation instead of taking an elective month off during 4th year.

Residencies won't even know you took it twice when you apply.
Which program are you in if you don’t mind me asking? Because my school’s handbook says I can voluntarily reduce clinic load but it will probably delay graduation.

Passed, here is what I used in case anyone in the future wants some advice:

Big Three
LEA - Ohio Notes

Pharmacology - Sketchy
(This turned out to be too long and I did not end up finishing it, so make sure to plan out enough time for it. There is some good path & physiology review in the sketches also)

Micro - Sketchy
(Shorter than Pharm and super high yield, cannot recommend it enough)

Others
Biochemistry - USMLE First Aid was more than enough (you'll hit on the highlights studying for other subjects)
Pathology - started with the Pathoma textbook but it was too much info, if you have the time it can't hurt but definitely more than you'll need
Physiology - BRS Physiology, a really good succinct way to review the course I wish I knew about it during this class
General Anatomy - a 100 anatomy fun facts presentation was being passed around my school if you can track this down it was almost spot on the stuff on the test

Overall just put this stuff into the Anki blender and drink that smoothie down over the course of around 2 months.

Reactions: 1 users
I passed. Here's what I did (but take it with a grain of salt).

I studied for 3 weeks. The AACPM Curricular Guide for Podiatric Medical Education lists topics to be taught at CPMs, then ranks them by their importance (sounds a lot like the Angoff method, which they use to score the exam... link to an article that explains: Standard-setting study - Wikipedia). I only studied things that were listed as most important (4.0's on a scale from 1.0-4.0) and ALSO fell under a topic on the APMLE Exam Content Outline, which is found at the end of the exam bulletin.

I used Boards Vitals and Prometric's practice exams, scored 65% on average.

Lower is 25% of the exam. Micro 15%, Pharm 15%, General anatomy 13%, , Physio 13%, Path 12%, Biochem 7%

I hit it hard on both lower and general anatomy, which make up 38% total exam material. Then micro (15 + 38 = 55%). Then pharm (55 + 15 = 70%). I glossed over path, and didn't even look at physio or biochem. I figured I could at least get half the the questions right from the remaining 30% of the exam that I didn't study for, since I've at least passed those courses. Let's say I got 2/3 of the questions right on the topics I studied for (46% of total exam correct) and 1/2 of the questions right on the topics I didn't study (15% of total exam correct). 15 + 46 = 61%. Typically 50-60% is a passing score. Risky game, but I waited too long to start studying.

Link to curricular guide: https://aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/2020-AACPM-Curricular-Guide-2.pdf

Reactions: 2 users
Passed!!! Huge weight off my shoulders
My strategy/tips:

I focused a lot on lower, did that pretty much every single day, interchanging between foot, leg, thigh/hip, then vasculature, neuro, muscles, osteo. Used mainly school notes, hit Reuben's notes the last week.
I started hitting General Anatomy, physio, and micro early as well. I added on more hours/time as the month went on, mainly because reviewing subjects became easier with each pass. Worst for me was adding in pharm (it was completely covidized at my school), basically did a jammed up day the week before just writing out every single drug that I could. I wish I had hit biochem more because those are more easy points, but it is what it is

Resources: School LEA Notes, Reuben Notes
First Aid (Used for Micro, and the systems reviews for anatomy/phys)
Buzzwords for Micro
100 Anatomy Concepts Powerpoint
BRS Physio
Pathoma
School biochem notes
Speed Pharmacology Youtube Videos (HIGHLY RECCOMMEND- I'm not big on videos to learn (why I didn't use Sketchy) but these videos are fast, and easy to digest, supplemented with some notes from First Aid and I was better off for the exam.)

I passed!
I used the LEA Flashcards, sketchy, and the anKING Flashcards. Maybe not for everyone but it worked for me! I started 7 or 8 weeks before the exam, just 3 or 4 hours a day with practice tests at the end of the week. Probably overkill but I felt very comfortable in the exam

Congratulations to everyone that took this exam, irrespective of passing it or not. :dogfive:

Please don't be discouraged if you didn't pass. It sucks to fail a board exam but know that you can pass it by focusing on your weak areas, as stated by Weirdy earlier. Also, if you need to retake, don't start studying like tomorrow; take some time off and figure how your schedule will play out for the next 2 months.
Many people have made it through at the second attempt so you can too. Hang in there and focus on the bigger goal, i.e., the DPM degree and matching.
The shared study resources here will help the next class prepare, so please continue to add how you studied.

Passed!

I also started 7-8 weeks before the exam. Did Pathoma for 2 weeks, sketchy micro+sketchy pharm for a month (plus all associated pepper deck cards), Scholl ppt+Scholl deck. I was getting around 55% for my first pass on Board Vitals and around 80% for my second pass. Started taking practice tests when it was about 1 month out (2 Prometric and the 2005/2008 tests). Boards and Beyond for physiology. For general anatomy, I focused mainly on the anatomy in First Aid because I felt confident with my anatomy knowledge and supplemented it with board vitals Qbank.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Passed!
Been an avid reader at this forum, learnt a lot of information, but never wrote anything before, so here it goes.

Study time: 3-4 Weeks

Material: Temple LE Cards (sold on Amazon, personally felt that it was high yield, correlates a lot with Board vital questions)
Sketchy Micro (watched in full, written down, memorized, and active-recalled)
Sketchy Pharm + Pharm BRS flashcards (Sketchy Pharm's definitely too dense as previous years post, but definitely give you a good grasp on MOA/classification.)
Pathology BRS Flash Cards

Study Method: 1) Board Vitals. (Solved it once ~950 full questions, 450 questions once more with reading all the explanations)
Prometric 2005-2008. (Did not read explanations)
2) Cross reference Board vital material with class notes, other resources, and grasp an understanding of what they are, why they are asking for such material.
3) In the end, if you go through process 2 enough, the material they can ask you questions on, and will ask you questions on has a pattern.
4) Even if you don't face the same exact questions after 1/2/3 steps, you will figure out the thinking process of a test-maker as well as what to think when you see a problem, and solve it out the way they want you to.

Reflection) I know I should've spent a lot more time on the board studying, and am very lucky to have passed it. I did study micro throughout the year in the beginning just because I was petrified. I personally feel that LEA given in class is too dense/detail as everyone else says, and temple anatomy cards would suffice. (I feel as the questions were more logic based - can you figure out which one is an exclusion of a criteria? kind of question, rather than memorize muscle A. artery BCD. pick C out of the bunch). IF you read through temple LE cards and picture it well enough, have a basic but solid enough grasp of it, i think you should be fine. ALSO, study LIGAMENTS. and PLANTAR layer muscles of the foot (nerve/muscles, interossei/where they attach/what muscle is in which layer of plantar layer). I don't know why, but they LOVE asking those questions. Seen them on BV, heavy on Prometric, and definitely was on boards for sure.
Physiology. There was A lot of them. Almost too many. I feel as half of my exam consisted of physio, which to this day I can't make sense of. But, know basic physiology of stuff.
Biochem, there was maybe ~2 questions. didn't study, don't know if I got 'em right.
Pharmacology. Know Heart medications. Where they act on, what they do. If they are a1, a2, b1, b2, or selective, or non-selective. know the consequence of giving non-selective to a person. so forth. Know Na+ channel, how it works. basic MOA. all very high yield. Multiple questions on BV, old Prometric, def on Board. Know PTH inside and out. Know GI medications. We prescribe meds that have GI side effect, its a big topic for us. Should know either way. Antibiotics. Personally felt wasn't heavy hit, but cephalosporins can be confusing with names 1/2/3/4th gen. Know the classes of medications, what they do, and certain drugs that have HIGH side effects. STUDY BRS pharm cards. STUDY them. They have specific indications on each drugs/drug groups, and there's a clear reason why. Know why certain drugs have certain effects, and study Why that would cause harmful effect.
Micro. Thought there was not enough questions in my mind as we all expected, but oh well. Sketchy should suffice.
Patho. BRS pathology cards were relatively high yield. Heard Pathoma chap 1/2/3 was high yield, didn't use it, but heard it was also very helpful.
I bought physeo at the end, thought it was a lot more helpful than BnB. depends on people I assume, but i think the way they go through explanation with drawing is superb.

This is about it. I have learnt a lot from this forum about boards, and without the advices from formal discussions previous yrs 2020, 2019, 2018, I definitely don't think I'd have passed. so passing down to the next generations. hoping everyone prepares for it well, and those who did not do well, wish you the best luck from bottom of my heart on the next exam. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
I needed a good nights sleep before I posted this here. I don't think I would've passed if I didn't know about this forum. Thank you everyone who helped!

Study plan: I didn't have a set study schedule because that's how I've been studying and didn't wanna change anything when studying for boards. Stick with 1 resource!! By now you know how you study so stick with that. Treat boards studying like you're studying for any other classes.

Lower: Ohio Picture book and Kathy Siegel's notes. I printed it and made a book. I like to hand write notes so I had notes written everywhere on the picture book from Kathy's book. Went over picture book twice. Also I had anki for LEA flashcards that everyone talks about. This was GOLD!! STUDY LEA EVERYDAY!!!!!!

Micro: SKETCHY!!!!! I went over all the videos and did anki. It's normal to forget the sketches. I would go back and watch high yields sketchy again. I knew all the micro questions on exam.

Pharm: Started with sketchy pharm around April/May. Didn't work for me. It started to get overwhelmed because I would mix up sketches between pharm and micro so I stopped! I feel like sketchy pharm has more info than we need for this test but if it works for you, go for it! I looked at what other people said in this forum and reached out to @DR Pod. He had a pharm crash course ppt with notes on the major drugs. Ppt is labeled "Rami's Pharm crash course." I only used this and felt good about pharm on exam.

Gross: Only used school ppt.

Biochemistry: didn't really study this but that's because I found biochem easy. Only reviewed rate limiting steps. I think biochem helped me pass because I didn't know any path and physio.

Physio: didn't really study this because I sucked at physio lol. Only went over some of the youtube videos for the topics I saw on boardvitals.

Path: Path and physio were my weakest so I didn't focus on these 2. All I did was watched youtube videos for the topics from boardvitals.

I did 50 boardvitals questions everyday!!! Don't lose hope if you don't score above 70%. Those questions are hard af! I barely scored above 70%. I scored 68 and 70% on two free APMLE practice tests. I took these tests during last two weeks before exam. I was worried because I couldn't reach 75% but DON'T PANIC or LOSE HOPE!!! I have doubted myself so many times. I learned to trust myself during this 2 months time of studying.

Everyone in this forum said - as long as you know around 100 questions, you'll pass. When I submitted my exam, I had a feeling that I passed but didn't wanna be too confident. I knew I did wayyy better than all those practice tests for sure. Thanks to this forum for all the help. If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to reach out.

Good luck! On to the next step now..

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How do you end up finding out your class’s pass rate? Do most schools end up emailing it out or something?

No school has posted yet I believe

Nothing from Scholl for the overall pass rate either. But I just studied about 2 weeks of intense pharmacology and micro/immuno and didn’t touch anything else because I felt I had a strong background in it! Also, one thing I found helpful is to study buzzwords. I had a lot of questions I got correct because of a single word!

Nothing from Scholl for the overall pass rate either. But I just studied about 2 weeks of intense pharmacology and micro/immuno and didn’t touch anything else because I felt I had a strong background in it! Also, one thing I found helpful is to study buzzwords. I had a lot of questions I got correct because of a single word!
It'll honestly depend on how the class as a whole does. The class before me had a I think 90something% pass rate, which they made obvious to them when it was available.

For my class, the one below them, we were NEVER told despite numerous attempts. They kept making excuses until we started rotations. I heard from a colleague that if you do the math of who was left after the exam, it was roughly around an 80something%.

I'm not sure if you guys were told what our pass rate was, but if you know, please share because we sure as hell don't know lol.

Passed.

Truthfully however, this exam is ridiculous and not at all indicative of how one will be as a future podiatrist. Not to mention the outrageous cost and infuriating mystery behind how it is truly graded. To all those who failed, please don't be discouraged. As absurd as this exam is, you will still succeed and pass your retake.

To those looking back at old threads/taking the exam in the future, I highly recommend multiple passes of BV and the NYCPM LEA questions. The higher your average the better obviously, but don't let it stress you out too much if you aren't at ~70%. Take diligent notes, whether you get the question right or wrong, and let those be your anchor that you can constantly review. Then in your weaker areas you can use other resources like Sketchy, the 100 GA Topics, First Aid, etc.

Passed

Studied hard for 4 weeks straight, minimum 8 hours a day and weekends 12 hours.
Used Ohio notes for LEAN (reviewed 3 times)
Sketchy for pharm (reviewed 2 times)
Sketchy for micro (reviewed 2 times)
NYCPM notes for path (reviewed 2 times)
NYCPM notes for physio (reviewed 2 times)
Last week did nothing but questions.
Practice exams - BV , 2005 + 2008 exams , APMLE exams, BRS questions for physio and webpath for path

I didn't even look at biochem, anatomy or anything else. If i got the question wrong on BV or the practice exams , I googled it and wrote down exactly why I got it wrong in my notebook.

Even my school didn't email us the pass rate and they almost always have done it within 24 hours in the past after any boards results.

Not officially, but hearing a pretty low first-time pass rate from 3 programs so far.

Anyone's school got back yet, officially?
Not at Scholl. Doubt it'll be officially said (they hid it last year). Any word on what "pretty low" means?

At my school, 30 people failed out of 89 people.

Last edited:
At my school, 30 people failed out of 89 people.
Oh my god, that is awful wow.

I wonder how the schools are going to move forward because clearly this is a problem.

I also wonder if this is a product of people utilizing notes during examinations on non-proctored examinations during their courses or simply lack of studying.

Curious to know what happened.

Last edited:

I wonder how the schools are going to move forward because clearly this is a problem.

I also wonder if this is a product of people utilizing notes during examinations on non-proctored examinations during their courses or simply lack of studying.

I'm betting that had an impact, almost certainly so. Just as well, and I know this may be a BS excuse, but burnout may also have something to do with it? I mean, I finally said out loud that our last real break (because of our spring break being canceled) was December, and our next actual break is September. So aside from the dedicated study time, having to study non stop could have led to people either taking dedicated as a break, or relaxing more during it.

Again, "wah wah" but burnout could still lead to it, even in a minor role

Not at my school. 4th semester took care of weeding people out because we had proctoring and it is also considered one of the hardest semesters.

I was one of the students who failed. Our school did have proctoring, alot of people did get weeded out and the semester load was very heavy. I did BV , ohio notes, path,lean, anatomy and psio review from our school , sketchy micro/pharm/biochem. I took the exam and thought it went horrible but so did everyone else which made me think i passed. The questions i got wrong i checked after exam and i got them right, which gave me false hope. Got alot of random "whats this gene" questions. My friend who i studied with for 2.5 months daily passed but i failed. Very discouraging since we did everything together about 8-10 hours a day including some weekends. The questions i got i kept asking people and no one got them. I think thats ridiculous of an exam that everyone gets different questions from my understanding. Who ever failed and is reading this, just give it your best, thats what im going to do, and it sucks we can only take it twice.

People were all saying "oh man i failed it was a hard exam" until they passed, thn they started saying "oh it was easy" . I dont think i would have said that, in general its a very broad exam. Congrats to people who passed but to people who studied very hard and failed like me, hope you understand it could have been anyone so help out your peers. I wonder how many people passed boarderline 75? i know a few people who failed with a 74.

Anyways, i gotta get back to studying. Goodluck

• Care
I needed a good nights sleep before I posted this here. I don't think I would've passed if I didn't know about this forum. Thank you everyone who helped!

Study plan: I didn't have a set study schedule because that's how I've been studying and didn't wanna change anything when studying for boards. Stick with 1 resource!! By now you know how you study so stick with that. Treat boards studying like you're studying for any other classes.

Lower: Ohio Picture book and Kathy Siegel's notes. I printed it and made a book. I like to hand write notes so I had notes written everywhere on the picture book from Kathy's book. Went over picture book twice. Also I had anki for LEA flashcards that everyone talks about. This was GOLD!! STUDY LEA EVERYDAY!!!!!!

Micro: SKETCHY!!!!! I went over all the videos and did anki. It's normal to forget the sketches. I would go back and watch high yields sketchy again. I knew all the micro questions on exam.

Pharm: Started with sketchy pharm around April/May. Didn't work for me. It started to get overwhelmed because I would mix up sketches between pharm and micro so I stopped! I feel like sketchy pharm has more info than we need for this test but if it works for you, go for it! I looked at what other people said in this forum and reached out to @DR Pod. He had a pharm crash course ppt with notes on the major drugs. Ppt is labeled "Rami's Pharm crash course." I only used this and felt good about pharm on exam.

Gross: Only used school ppt.

Biochemistry: didn't really study this but that's because I found biochem easy. Only reviewed rate limiting steps. I think biochem helped me pass because I didn't know any path and physio.

Physio: didn't really study this because I sucked at physio lol. Only went over some of the youtube videos for the topics I saw on boardvitals.

Path: Path and physio were my weakest so I didn't focus on these 2. All I did was watched youtube videos for the topics from boardvitals.

I did 50 boardvitals questions everyday!!! Don't lose hope if you don't score above 70%. Those questions are hard af! I barely scored above 70%. I scored 68 and 70% on two free APMLE practice tests. I took these tests during last two weeks before exam. I was worried because I couldn't reach 75% but DON'T PANIC or LOSE HOPE!!! I have doubted myself so many times. I learned to trust myself during this 2 months time of studying.

Everyone in this forum said - as long as you know around 100 questions, you'll pass. When I submitted my exam, I had a feeling that I passed but didn't wanna be too confident. I knew I did wayyy better than all those practice tests for sure. Thanks to this forum for all the help. If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to reach out.

Good luck! On to the next step now..
Hi! May I ask how you got the ppt for pharm? I struggled with pharm on the first try and can use all the help! Sketchy isnt working for me.

Hi! May I ask how you got the ppt for pharm? I struggled with pharm on the first try and can use all the help! Sketchy isnt working for me.
Yes, of course! File was too large to attach here so I uploaded on this link below. Download the file as it expires in less than 30 days. Good luck. You got this!!

Last edited:
I was one of the students who failed. Our school did have proctoring, alot of people did get weeded out and the semester load was very heavy. I did BV , ohio notes, path,lean, anatomy and psio review from our school , sketchy micro/pharm/biochem. I took the exam and thought it went horrible but so did everyone else which made me think i passed. The questions i got wrong i checked after exam and i got them right, which gave me false hope. Got alot of random "whats this gene" questions. My friend who i studied with for 2.5 months daily passed but i failed. Very discouraging since we did everything together about 8-10 hours a day including some weekends. The questions i got i kept asking people and no one got them. I think thats ridiculous of an exam that everyone gets different questions from my understanding. Who ever failed and is reading this, just give it your best, thats what im going to do, and it sucks we can only take it twice.

People were all saying "oh man i failed it was a hard exam" until they passed, thn they started saying "oh it was easy" . I dont think i would have said that, in general its a very broad exam. Congrats to people who passed but to people who studied very hard and failed like me, hope you understand it could have been anyone so help out your peers. I wonder how many people passed boarderline 75? i know a few people who failed with a 74.

Like we have said elsewhere, you can do this. Just focus and make a plan to study for this absurd exam and also for your regular classes. The difference between a pass and a fail isn't that much in terms of questions. That said, continue to learn and master LE anatomy, Micro, Pharm, and Physio. GL!

What school?
NYCPM! Heard similar stats from two other programs...but I'll let the students from those programs spill the beans lol

In any case, those reading these threads and are in the class of 2024...look over the post from @bobtheweazel and prep according to his method for this exam... i.e., using the curricular guide along with your classes. You can't go wrong with that method.

I feel you, I studied 8-10 hours a day 6 days a week. I was also doing decent in practice tests and board vitals. I felt like my exam was extremely hard and I had questions from material which were very low yield. The classmates I spoke to on exam day said they got pretty easy questions and sure enough they passed. If you’re in my class, please feel free to reach out. We are in this together 💕

Seems the passing rate is very s year compared to the previous years. Was the exam harder this year than previous years or remote learning played a role? No way 1/3 of NYCPM students fail when they have consistently have 90+% pass rate.

How is everyone’s school dealing with the low pass rate? Are they giving you time off of clinic?

NYCPM still did not tell us the exact pass rate, just sent emails beating around the bush but as a poster said above, it's reallyyy bad. Many people from our class were unsuccessful in this administration.

• Sad
Does anyone have the pass rates yet for DMU, Midwestern, Samuel Merritt etc?

If the numbers I've heard so far hold to be true, I'd estimate around (likely more) 100 students failed (give or take- I only know of rumors of about 4 school pass rates right now that add up to around 80) with approximately 650(ish?) that's around 15 percent of the students that took it that didn't pass, which I think adds up with the statistics on board vitals that the exam has an 85% first time pass average.

I don't know what the for sure numbers are though, so guess we'll see what changes are coming to our younger classes curriculums. As far as I can tell, most administrators are holding their pass rates close to the chest

Does anyone have the pass rates yet for DMU, Midwestern, Samuel Merritt etc?
Samuel Merritt is not ready to release the pass rate until everyone has taken the exam. Apparently a handful of students were unable to take it in July so I don't think we will know until October.

SMU told us the pass rate last July, despite having students who were taking it for the first time in October. There could be a million reasons for doing that but I'm assuming that SMU didn't do well if they are withholding the results.

So we got unofficial word that around 18/90 students failed at Scholl. But we are still 6% above the national average, whatever that means 🤷🏾‍♀️🤷🏾‍♀

So we got unofficial word that around 18/90 students failed at Scholl. But we are still 6% above the national average, whatever that means 🤷🏾‍♀️🤷🏾‍♀
Wait who did you hear that from?

Wait who did you hear that from?

From the admin. They aren't allowed to post pass rates until October retake. But he said it would be simple math to figure out now based off how many people failed.