APMLE Part 1 2021 Retake Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aresnebula

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I figured I will make a thread for us retakers where we can share our study sources or just to connect with others who are in the same boat as us. Hopefully, folks who have passed the exam will also help guide us and critic our study sources/methods. We can even vent on here in general. We are in this together 💪

For the retake, I found few Anki decks on biochem, path, Immuno, general anatomy, and first aid. I will be studying those. Lower extremity was my strongest so I’ll stick to temple flashcards and school notes. Maybe I’ll do Ohio notes if I have time. For physio, I’ll be sticking to my own notes too since I was proficient in it. For micro/pharm, I’ll be sticking to sketchy Anki decks.

I will be utilizing board vitals and APMLE past exams again as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Any advice on how to juggle didactic courses, clinic and boards at the same time? I’ll admit that I haven’t been able to do much studying during the week since my clinic ends late. I also don’t wanna have to retest for didactic courses. I have been putting in about 18 hours of board studying every week and about 8 hours a week towards didactic courses. However, I’ve two exams next month and I’m afraid I will be losing roughly 3 weeks of boards study time.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice on how to juggle didactic courses, clinic and boards at the same time? I’ll admit that I haven’t been able to do much studying during the week since my clinic ends late. I also don’t wanna have to retest for didactic courses. I have been putting in about 18 hours of board studying every week and about 8 hours a week towards didactic courses. However, I’ve two exams next month and I’m afraid I will be losing roughly 3 weeks of boards study time.

The only advice I got is to make a schedule now for both board prep and your in-house exams. Knowing what to study each day with which resources is imperative right now. That said, please don't burn out and take breaks when you can. Yes, passing this exam is a must, but you also have to pass your other exams to move on.
If you do a little every day, you will be fine.

You guys can do it; many have passed on their 2nd try in the past and moved on and are now in Residency.
Aim for the finish line and get it done!
:thumbup:

• Care
How’s studying going for everyone 😬
Personally, it's been kinda hard especially with keeping up with third-year exams and long hours of clinic. There were few days in a month where I couldn't focus on boards due to exams. However, I got myself a tutor and we have been trying to meet weekly which has been helping. I have also been listening to board review lectures during my commute in the mornings. I am hoping that my previous knowledge mixed with some new info that I acquired over the months will be enough this time 🤞

Reactions: 1 user
Question: for general anatomy, is the 100 concept Anki deck enough (I can't stay focused when reading the PowerPoint)? This was a subject that I was below minimal competency so I would like to know if there is anything else that I should be doing for this subject, thank you.

Question: for general anatomy, is the 100 concept Anki deck enough (I can't stay focused when reading the PowerPoint)? This was a subject that I was below minimal competency so I would like to know if there is anything else that I should be doing for this subject, thank you.

That along with the BRS anatomy questions is more than enough. At this point, try to do as many questions as you can, esp for Physio, Pharm, and Micro.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think most of the people who retake will pass? I keep hearing it’s only about half the people who retake pass 😅

Do you think most of the people who retake will pass? I keep hearing it’s only about half the people who retake pass 😅
If you worked harder than you did the first time, then you will pass.

Has nothing to do with percentages. The harder you train- the higher chance you will pass.

And deep down inside, everyone knows whether they've been going hard enough or just been lazy.

Reactions: 4 users
I heard that is pretty good and some people added the BRS anatomy question. I have the 100 concepts on slides, the anki version was confusing to me

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice on what to use to brush up on lower extremity this weekend? I feel like in the midst of studying for the other subjects, I kinda forgot my lower extremity and don't know it the way I used to. I am kindaaa freaking out, any advice would be much appreciated.

Any advice on what to use to brush up on lower extremity this weekend? I feel like in the midst of studying for the other subjects, I kinda forgot my lower extremity and don't know it the way I used to. I am kindaaa freaking out, any advice would be much appreciated.
are you dedicating the last 2 days to LEA? scholls definately. I did all anatomy board vitals in one day, definately look at embriology timing.

are you dedicating the last 2 days to LEA? scholls definately. I did all anatomy board vitals in one day, definately look at embriology timing.
I was thinking more like 5 hours today to dedicate to LEAN fully. I feel like I have the knowledge somewhere in the back and my brain just needs to reactivate those neurons lol.

Do you mean the 501 page Scholl Lower review?

I was thinking more like 5 hours today to dedicate to LEAN fully. I feel like I have the knowledge somewhere in the back and my brain just needs to reactivate those neurons lol.

The Scholl ppt is good. Temple flashcards are also excellent. As stated above, going over those ossification dates should be a priority.

Yes the 500s pages.. just go over stuff you do not remember. If you are more familiar with some notes more than others, then review those. In my case i will just review scholl's and OHIO. Practice a few questions and thats it.. wrapping up!

Do you happen to have a pdf of Temple flashcards, could you share?

We don't post/share copyrighted material on this site.

Anyone reading this and preparing for the exam for next year; I highly suggest getting the physical copy from Amazon.

Good luck to everyone today! Hope it all went well, wishing you all the best!

What did everyone think?
Personally, I felt better coming out of my second attempt compared to my first attempt. I felt like my exam was fair and not like super hard with disproportionate subject questions like my first attempt. That being said, I still have anxiety that I will fail because idk how they will grade this and what the passing threshold will be.

Personally, I felt better coming out of my second attempt compared to my first attempt. I felt like my exam was fair and not like super hard with disproportionate subject questions like my first attempt. That being said, I still have anxiety that I will fail because idk how they will grade this and what the passing threshold will be.
I wish you the best of the best!!!!

• Care
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has heard if APMLE Part 1 that took place earlier this month will be graded any differently due to the terribly low pass rates this past July.
Also, if I felt pretty good on 100 questions when I left the retake, are the chances I passed good?

Does anyone know what time (EST) the results come out on Friday?

I don't know why but I feel like I'm gonna fail again tomorrow. I was ok until this week when it hit me that we find out tomorrow! I am really nervous and feel like maybe my exam went bad or they will make the passing score of >70% raw score or something 😰😰

I don't know why but I feel like I'm gonna fail again tomorrow. I was ok until this week when it hit me that we find out tomorrow! I am really nervous and feel like maybe my exam went bad or they will make the passing score of >70% raw score or something 😰😰
I've had the same nightmare. Felt okay walking out but I am now psyching myself out. But dont worry, we all GOT THIS!! We gotta manifest the pass now

Got an email from the dean saying I passed!!! I am soooooo elateddd, I worked my ass off over these 3 months juggling clinic, semester classes, and boards!!

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
yep, no scores showing in the prometric site yet
I was told by the school I passed, but do you have the official scores on prometric yet? I still don't, and it's been almost a week since they were released to the school.

I was told by the school I passed, but do you have the official scores on prometric yet? I still don't, and it's been almost a week since they were released to the school.
The score still isn’t up on prometric for me.

The score still isn’t up on prometric for me.
It's pretty crazy. It's been a couple weeks and no scores on Prometric. I feel alright because the school said I passed, but it would feel more comforting and official to see the pass on the official site.

Do any of you guys know why the scores still aren't on prometric, almost a month after scores were released to the schools?

Do any of you guys know why the scores still aren't on prometric, almost a month after scores were released to the schools?

Email or call Prometric directly. But if the school notified you of passing, then you're good. I understand the frustration, though, of not seeing it officially on the NBPME site.

Email or call Prometric directly. But if the school notified you of passing, then you're good. I understand the frustration, though, of not seeing it officially on the NBPME site.
That's true, it should work out eventually. I contacted my school and they said Prometric isn't giving them an answer either. Very strange. :shrug: