APMLE Part 3 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happypod12345

Reaction score
Most of these threads are several years old and do not offer great advice.
For those that have taken boards part 3, what is the best way to study (books, etc)?
When did you take it (during residency or before)?

Members don't see this ad.

I took it in residency first year. I essentially used pocket pod (not sure what it's called now). It's extremely easy, I think I half-assed studied for 3 days for it. Questions seemed to focus on clinical things like safely handling sharps, infection control stuff.

Def not as hard as part 2. The pass rates is extremely high, I wouldn't sweat it.

Best advice I would say is take it as soon as you can after studying for part 2, since it's all still fresh, provided you passed part 2.

I think you are looking back at some of the honestly recent threads and saying - no, no, those guys are from a few years ago. It could have been changed since then. There's no way what they are saying could be the case. Podiatry is a great profession with high quality examinations. I really need to study.

-You couldn't go to my program without passing it. None of the people below me were super geniuses. They all apparently passed. And yeah, my prior 2nd year reads this forum and knows who I am!

-A few years ago, there was a question resembling something like this below. I don't remember the exact stem, but I remember being embarrassed for our profession.

A patient is diabetic
(a) insulin
(b) allopurinol
(c) augmentin
(d) synthroid.

No discussion. No A1C or labs. No management. No case study. No 2nd order. No complications. I remember thinking - this really isn't even a question. Its less than a question. Its an association.

It isn't like this was the first time they did this exam. They are passing a turd off year by year. For $900 and a 99% passrate.

Bust out pocket pod for a day or an hour. You'll want that hour back when you are done.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I always tell incoming residents not to wast time studying. They study. They tell me they wish they had listened to me. If you know how to tx stress fractures and plantar fasciitis, you will pass.

It is nothing more than a money grab and one more thing that other docs do that we can say we do too.

Reactions: 1 user
What did you guys score on the 2 Prometric practice exams? What percentage do you think is needed to correlate to passing on the actual exam?

I always tell incoming residents not to wast time studying. They study. They tell me they wish they had listened to me. If you know how to tx stress fractures and plantar fasciitis, you will pass.

It is nothing more than a money grab and one more thing that other docs do that we can say we do too.
Hey everyone,I'll be taking part 3 this June 2nd. I'm new to sdn (yes late to the party I know lol). Anyways, since it's basically part 2 again, we'll basically be getting pretty much the same kind/detail questions? Studying the same exact material in the same detail as for part 2 again for a whole different exam is making me feeling uneasy especially because this exam is so expensive and don't want to have to retake (part 3). Can someone who has more recently taken this exam please confirm on the accuracy of this statement? Really not looking forward to starting to study again for another exam but would rather relax before residency starts but just wanna knock it out of the way since putting it off will just make things harder later. Def feel like I data dumped all the part 2 info tbh. Senioritis is hitting hard. If anyone can post here in the chat in public or pm me, either is fine. Just need some help please

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone,I'll be taking part 3 this June 2nd. I'm new to sdn (yes late to the party I know lol). Anyways, since it's basically part 2 again, we'll basically be getting pretty much the same kind/detail questions? Studying the same exact material in the same detail as for part 2 again for a whole different exam is making me feeling uneasy especially because this exam is so expensive and don't want to have to retake (part 3). Can someone who has more recently taken this exam please confirm on the accuracy of this statement? Really not looking forward to starting to study again for another exam but would rather relax before residency starts but just wanna knock it out of the way since putting it off will just make things harder later. Def feel like I data dumped all the part 2 info tbh. Senioritis is hitting hard. If anyone can post here in the chat in public or pm me, either is fine. Just need some help please
I studied pretty hard for it. But thats the type of person I am.
In retrospect I probably didnt have to study.
It let me sleep at night leading up to the test and it let me sleep at night after the test knowing I passed.

Reactions: 2 users
Feel the same as above poster.

Welcome any thoughts on matter.

Have 2 weeks to study for it + finding an apartment + moving out of state.

Would like to prioritize any of above + spending time with wife before residency hits.
Was going to study 9-5 x 5days a week. Not sure if overkill.

It’s definitely easier than part 2 and the pass rate is super high. If you are someone who studies a lot, I’d take a week to just brush up on stuff. I use to always over study and even I only did about a week. I’d do whatever timeline you feel would work for you to just “brush up” on topics.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s definitely easier than part 2 and the pass rate is super high. If you are someone who studies a lot, I’d take a week to just brush up on stuff. I use to always over study and even I only did about a week. I’d do whatever timeline you feel would work for you to just “brush up” on topics.
Thank you. Will most likely follow this.

Thank you. Will most likely follow this.
Essentially its now your sacred duty in 1 year to answer this question for other people. The most frequent posters on this forum are 5+ years away from taking it. When I took it - it was in line with the old expression - Part 1 two months, Part 2 two weeks, Part 3 #2 pencil (or 2 days or whatever you want to do).

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Essentially its now your sacred duty in 1 year to answer this question for other people. The most frequent posters on this forum are 5+ years away from taking it. When I took it - it was in line with the old expression - Part 1 two months, Part 2 two weeks, Part 3 #2 pencil (or 2 days or whatever you want to do).
"Following ancient wisdom, podiatry student bows head and prepares to indoctrine others in the coming year"

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any study guides specifically for the APMLE part 3 they can share since it's a more simplified exam, for a quick reference/study?

For people that took it… let’s get some info.

how hard was it? What would you recommend studying?

For people that took it… let’s get some info.

how hard was it? What would you recommend studying?

Part 3 requires at least 4-6 weeks of serious prep. I would go through McGlamry’s again. Since it will likely be your second time through, cover to cover won’t take you that long. Be sure to purchase the board vitals test bank and go over that once you’ve finished McGlamry’s. Good luck!

• Haha
It was easier than Step 2, but there were some strange questions. I left feeling a lot better coming out of that exam than Step 1 or 2.
All I did was board vitals questions and reviewed my notes from Step 2 studying. I only studied for about 2 weeks for 2-3 hours a day.

Hey everyone! Does anyone have summaries for all the McGlamry chapters??

If so, can someone please pm me or post here please?!

I'm planning on retaking part 3 this December. I got a 71% on it. My residency (starting this July) doesn't require that I have passed this exam prior to starting, however, does anyone know by when we have to take and pass part 3? Like do we have to pass this exam in order to graduate from the residency program?

Also, I have heard that some states place a limit on the total attempts these APMLE exams can be taken (some states won't give a license to practice if the total attempts exceed a certain number apparently). However, I can't find this information anywhere. I tried looking on this website (listed below):

Federation of Podiatric Medical Boards > Resources > Member Boards Info

However, I could not find anything stating a total limit. To clarify by total attempts, I mean for example, I passed APMLE part 1 the first time (1 attempt), it took me 5 attempts to pass APMLE part 2, and this first attempt on January 2nd for APMLE part 3. So that's a total of 7 attempts total for me thus far. Can someone please verify this information and which states place a limit?

Also, after completing a Podiatric residency, if someone does not chose to do a fellowship, would they be at a major disadvantage compared to someone who did do a fellowship? (for my purposes, I'm considering either working for a VA hospital or joining an already established practice post-residency.

Lastly, in terms of Podiatric surgical boards, I am (like many others) going into a PMSR/RRA program. So I would be eligible to sit for both forefoot and rear foot surgical licensing boards. If someone failed these surgical boards, does that mean that they cannot perform surgery? What are the repercussions of never passing any of the surgical boards? I know there is board eligible vs board certified surgeons, but I don't know if this applies to podiatrists.

I apologize in advance for the many questions, but I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
I'm planning on retaking part 3 this December. I got a 71% on it. My residency (starting this July) doesn't require that I have passed this exam prior to starting, however, does anyone know by when we have to take and pass part 3? Like do we have to pass this exam in order to graduate from the residency program?

Also, I have heard that some states place a limit on the total attempts these APMLE exams can be taken (some states won't give a license to practice if the total attempts exceed a certain number apparently). However, I can't find this information anywhere. I tried looking on this website (listed below):

However, I could not find anything stating a total limit. To clarify by total attempts, I mean for example, I passed APMLE part 1 the first time (1 attempt), it took me 5 attempts to pass APMLE part 2, and this first attempt on January 2nd for APMLE part 3. So that's a total of 7 attempts total for me thus far. Can someone please verify this information and which states place a limit?

Also, after completing a Podiatric residency, if someone does not chose to do a fellowship, would they be at a major disadvantage compared to someone who did do a fellowship? (for my purposes, I'm considering either working for a VA hospital or joining an already established practice post-residency.

Lastly, in terms of Podiatric surgical boards, I am (like many others) going into a PMSR/RRA program. So I would be eligible to sit for both forefoot and rear foot surgical licensing boards. If someone failed these surgical boards, does that mean that they cannot perform surgery? What are the repercussions of never passing any of the surgical boards? I know there is board eligible vs board certified surgeons, but I don't know if this applies to podiatrists.

I apologize in advance for the many questions, but I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you in advance.
Can someone please help with these questions/concerns?

You need to take it before applying for state licensing.

That's an urban legend, there are no limits for try's on state licensing. However, your school should have dismissed you had you not passed part two on your second try. Do you go to Ohio?
No
You can perform any procedure you are licensed to perform and feel comfortable performing in your state. There are no repercussions.

Given your fail on part 3 and 5 attempts at part 2 I would strongly suggest not taking the surgery boards. They are much, much more difficult than Part 1 and Part 2.

Reactions: 3 users
Wait you said 5 times?

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Wait you said 5 times?

Including practice tests?

I would have concerns with credentials. I remember a specific question for credentialing at one of my hospitals that asked if you have ever failed boards, or something to that affect.

That's an urban legend, there are no limits for try's on state licensing. However, your school should have dismissed you had you not passed part two on your second try. Do you go to Ohio?

No

You can perform any procedure you are licensed to perform and feel comfortable performing in your state. There are no repercussions.

Given your fail on part 3 and 5 attempts at part 2 I would strongly suggest not taking the surgery boards. They are much, much more difficult than Part 1 and Part 2.

No

Thank you for your feedback GreenHousePub. No I didn't go to the Ohio school

-So that means that part 3 can even be passed after completing a 3 year residency program?
-I had asked about the limits for try's on state licensing because of what is says in the NBPME information bulletins (I have attached a screenshot of what is says in there. So you're saying I can decide to practice in any of the 50 states, and any of the provinces in Canada regardless of number of total attempts it takes to pass all 3 parts?
-So doing a fellowship is pretty much useless for podiatry?
-Any procedure I'm licensed to? So once I complete my 3 year PMSR/RRA program I can perform any surgical procedures I am comfortable with even if I never take the surgical boards?
-Can a podiatrist never do any surgery and still make a good yearly income? How would this work?

I really appreciate your feedback, and am sorry for all the questions

Attachments

• Limt.png
    Limt.png
    62.5 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Including practice tests?

I would have concerns with credentials. I remember a specific question for credentialing at one of my hospitals that asked if you have ever failed boards, or something to that affect.
No, I mean 5 actual attempts on part 2. So I had to take part 2 5 times in order to pass (passed the 5th time around). I passed part 1 the first time around though

Well, hopefully you are learning from your struggles. The tests are poorly written. The quality of the exam cannot account for everything in your situation. I would sit down and contemplate what you are missing. Is the knowledge there? Deductive reasoning? Reading comprehension? Anxiety?

Whatever is causing your whoas needs to be fixed/managed.

Lack of subject mastery = trouble
Lack of reasoning = trouble
Lack of reading comprehension = trouble
Anxiety = trouble

I suffer from anxiety and have never used it as an excuse. If you thin a test creates anxiety, you better be ready for a whole new level for when you cut on someone.

Some of your questions will require you to put in legwork to find out the answer

(a) in regards to practicing in your current state and part 3 timetable - there is assuredly a licensing person in your state infrastructure who knows the answer to this question. During residency, I literally could have told you the name of the licensing person for my state. There are states that require passing part 3 to begin ie. Pennsylvania so count yourself fortunate.

(b) I can't answer total count question. Perhaps there is a limit. Perhaps there isn't. I would tell you that wherever you apply down the road you should contact them ahead of time to review any licencing requirements. Its just good practice.

(c) You should read this forum to learn more about fellowships.

(d) Eligible, qualified, and certified are all different. Eligible theoretically means you've completed a residency that entitles you to try and complete the certification process and you are still within a certain number of years since graduating. Qualified is a mid-step in the certification process. Essentially you've passed the introductory steps and are pursuing certification. However, qualified does eventually expire. Certified for surgical boards means you've passed both written testing and passed case submission. Its all a bit more complicated than this but I think that's a fair description.

I don't want to crap on your dreams, but - the pass rate for APMLE part 2 after two attempts is upper 90s. The pass rate for APMLE part 3 is like 98-99% on first try. The pass rate for ABFAS foot and rearfoot is something like 60-70% and 40% and there is a selection bias to them. Podiatry schools have a heavy 1st/2nd year weedout. You had to have already completed a PMSR/RRA which rules out people who didn't and there are literally people who ultimately choose not to take it either because they don't want to do surgery or perhaps they know their residency didn't prepare them to be surgeons. There are assuredly still a lot of people taking it who shouldn't be, but I have smart friends who will do great and didn't pass ABFAS testing first time. Your experience with standardized testing is outside the norm. People on SDN sometimes react very negatively when they are given non-optimistic projections about their future but ABFAS is harder than everything you failed so far by an order of magnitude.

This is quite sad.

Some of your questions will require you to put in legwork to find out the answer

(a) in regards to practicing in your current state and part 3 timetable - there is assuredly a licensing person in your state infrastructure who knows the answer to this question. During residency, I literally could have told you the name of the licensing person for my state. There are states that require passing part 3 to begin ie. Pennsylvania so count yourself fortunate.

(b) I can't answer total count question. Perhaps there is a limit. Perhaps there isn't. I would tell you that wherever you apply down the road you should contact them ahead of time to review any licencing requirements. Its just good practice.

(c) You should read this forum to learn more about fellowships.

(d) Eligible, qualified, and certified are all different. Eligible theoretically means you've completed a residency that entitles you to try and complete the certification process and you are still within a certain number of years since graduating. Qualified is a mid-step in the certification process. Essentially you've passed the introductory steps and are pursuing certification. However, qualified does eventually expire. Certified for surgical boards means you've passed both written testing and passed case submission. Its all a bit more complicated than this but I think that's a fair description.

I don't want to crap on your dreams, but - the pass rate for APMLE part 2 after two attempts is upper 90s. The pass rate for APMLE part 3 is like 98-99% on first try. The pass rate for ABFAS foot and rearfoot is something like 60-70% and 40% and there is a selection bias to them. Podiatry schools have a heavy 1st/2nd year weedout. You had to have already completed a PMSR/RRA which rules out people who didn't and there are literally people who ultimately choose not to take it either because they don't want to do surgery or perhaps they know their residency didn't prepare them to be surgeons. There are assuredly still a lot of people taking it who shouldn't be, but I have smart friends who will do great and didn't pass ABFAS testing first time. Your experience with standardized testing is outside the norm. People on SDN sometimes react very negatively when they are given non-optimistic projections about their future but ABFAS is harder than everything you failed so far by an order of magnitude.
Thank you for your honest input/feedback heybrother

"Following ancient wisdom, podiatry student bows head and prepares to indoctrine others in the coming year"
So...what do you have to say to the class under you? Does the 2/2/2 rule still hold?