App Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BKelly734

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

My application is being mailed out today, and I am disheartened by my GPA because it's so low. BCP- 2.8, sGPA- 2.8, cGPA- 2.9 (but with a high upward trend because I had a 3.8 last year with 28 upper-level science hours). My DAT is fine, but I dont think it is good enough for my sub-par GPA... Bio- 18, GC- 22, OC- 20 (TS- 19), PAT- 20, RC- 20, QR- 18 (AA- 20). I am currently enrolled in a MS Physiology program, am taking 10 grad credits this semester, and am confident that I will 4.0.

I need advice for if I don't get in to dental school anywhere this cycle (especially since I applied late). I plan on taking 10 more graduate level hours in the spring, but would you suggest that I also take post-bac classes? I had taken 165 undergraduate hours and am not sure if taking more post-bac will help me at all. Is my undergraduate GPA too low even though I plan on having a really high graduate GPA? Should I retake the DAT again and aim for 22+ (I am confident I could probably do this, even though it would suck to retake)?

I also have good EC's and LOR's (3 prof's, 1 oral surgeon).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
BKelly

Members don't see this ad.

Hey All,

My application is being mailed out today, and I am disheartened by my GPA because it's so low. BCP- 2.8, sGPA- 2.8, cGPA- 2.9 (but with a high upward trend because I had a 3.8 last year with 28 upper-level science hours). My DAT is fine, but I dont think it is good enough for my sub-par GPA... Bio- 18, GC- 22, OC- 20 (TS- 19), PAT- 20, RC- 20, QR- 18 (AA- 20). I am currently enrolled in a MS Physiology program, am taking 10 grad credits this semester, and am confident that I will 4.0.

I need advice for if I don't get in to dental school anywhere this cycle (especially since I applied late). I plan on taking 10 more graduate level hours in the spring, but would you suggest that I also take post-bac classes? I had taken 165 undergraduate hours and am not sure if taking more post-bac will help me at all. Is my undergraduate GPA too low even though I plan on having a really high graduate GPA? Should I retake the DAT again and aim for 22+ (I am confident I could probably do this, even though it would suck to retake)?

I also have good EC's and LOR's (3 prof's, 1 oral surgeon).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
BKelly
The more classes,whether graduate or undergrad, you get As from, the higher your GPA would be. So yes, take some post-bacc classes if you can and be sure to get As in them. And I don't think a retake is necessary.

From what I understand from reading here and speaking with admissions dept's at various schools, a sub 3.0 GPA is a red flag regardless of what the rest of your app looks like. Someone on here (I can't remember who) made a good analogy that your GPA/DAT is the cake and everything else is icing. If you continue to do well in your MS Physiology program, an early apply next cycle might get you an acceptance. Given your GPA and very late apply, I think your chances this cycle are slim to none. But you have to take any advice you get on here in regards to admissions with a grain of salt, calling schools that you've applied to and getting their opinion would probably get you the best advice.