App for Advice & Interview Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matrixRSi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My problem.

I found it very difficult to find a current medical student to talk to when I was applying. Sure, I wanted to have a lengthy conversation to calm all the fears I was having (as with any premed) but more importantly, I want to talk to someone in the thick of it. More, it took me two weeks to find someone to practice interview with that was relevant. Not everyone has a network to pull from and many M1s don’t know M2s+.

Why is there not a medical-focused app that connects you to those who have been successful for advice or practice interviews? The key - the people who help or practice interview with you get paid a rate/min for their time. Questions like student life at x university, coursework questions from the class above you, or anything else that is troubling you that could use a good conversation.

Features would be something like this:

• Profile w/ your educational/experience background + unique URL
• Browse for someone qualified to answer questions you have or want to practice with
• Send a schedule invite for a time to connect
• Voice call (anonymous number) to answer questions
• Video chat for interview practice with good/bad marker buttons for the interviewer to give detailed feedback afterwards
• Payment system to pay who helped you ($8/15 min??)
• Cash out at any time

or

• Post a question or request a practice interview in a “feed” and those who have relevant experience get pinged. Whoever wants to make money gets there first.

No personal email addresses or phone numbers

It would have helped me.

I am thinking about building it but I would really like to know if it would be useful and if it solves a problem. Basically you can make some extra money by helping those coming after you 1:1. Anyone from doctors to high school students could signup to help those coming after them using their personal experiences.

Is this something you would use? Would you pay a current medical student/resident at the place you want to attend for a 45 min conversation or to practice interview with you?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I get the feeling this wouldn't be useful and I should stick with med school? Any thoughts at all?

They already made that app:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sdn-mobile/id493878395?mt=8

Edit:
Venture into other forums (Med Student one, for example) if you want to get advice from med students. They usual chime in on the school-specific threads, which is helpful.

You could do all of these services for free with friends/family, or by practicing your responses on your own.

Reactions: 1 users