App review and School list help (512, 3.83)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperSecret

Reaction score
I know how much everyone loves to read school lists, but as a reeaplicant I gotta what I gotta do, please bear with me. I tried last year and am still on 1 WL but have low hopes. Happy to expand on anything.

I have a fairly extensive list right now and I would love some feedback. I was very bummed that I did not get in the first so the list has grown.

Stats/Info:

Oregon Resident, graduated cum Laude with multiple Deans lists in 2022, MCAT 512, GPA 3.83. No incredible life story or other "X factors".

Hours
  • 150 hours community service at my local homeless shelter feeding guests.
  • 350 hours greeter at my undergrad student clinic. Worked with COVID vaccines and testing. Also leadership role
  • ~3000 hours clinic experience as a medical scribe at a tertiary referral center
  • ~50 ish ED shadowing hours
  • 450 hours (~3 mo) volunteering at a public hospital in Guatemala seeing patients in an outpatient HIV clinic and seeing patients with other infectious diseases in the ED,
  • 400 hours research, 1 pub (5th author). 2 manuscripts on the way but these won't be published by June. Not sure I'll even be listed as an author on these two. (Research was in tandem with physicians while working as a medical scribe)
School List

OHSU, Colorado, BU, Minnesota, UVM, Wisconsin, MCW, USC, Michigan, Pitt, Jefferson, Tufts, Umass, Albany, Brown, Virginia, Wright, Chicago Rosalind Franklin, Creighton, Drexel, Temple, Emory, GW, Georgetown, Loyola, Toledo, Utah, Rush, Oakland, Cincinnati, Illinois, Indiana, Wake Forest, Wayne, Ohio, NY upstate (Syracuse), UConn, St. Louis, and UCSD.

Some of them are obvious reaches but please tell me which schools would be donations!

Members don't see this ad.

Fingers crossed for your waitlist.

Where did you apply last year? When did you submit your apps? And how many IIs did you get/how did you feel about your interviews, writing, LORs, etc.

As for your list here's what I'd recommend:
1. Remove Rush, Loyola, Creighton, Georgetown, St. Louis - your non-clinical hours are far too low for any of those schools
2. Remove (most) of the OOS publics: Particularly Utah, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and UConn
3. Finally, while it's good to have some reaches, a 512 MCAT without an X-factor would probably lead to donations at Pitt, Emory and Michigan in particular. Not to say not to include them, just be wary.

You have several state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. Some of your other schools are reaches. I suggest these schools with your stats:
OHSU
TCU
Creighton
St.Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Belmont
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Roseman (when it opens)

Members don't see this ad :)
Fingers crossed for your waitlist.

Where did you apply last year? When did you submit your apps? And how many IIs did you get/how did you feel about your interviews, writing, LORs, etc.

As for your list here's what I'd recommend:
1. Remove Rush, Loyola, Creighton, Georgetown, St. Louis - your non-clinical hours are far too low for any of those schools
2. Remove (most) of the OOS publics: Particularly Utah, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and UConn
3. Finally, while it's good to have some reaches, a 512 MCAT without an X-factor would probably lead to donations at Pitt, Emory and Michigan in particular. Not to say not to include them, just be wary.
Thank you for the input! I didn't realize those schools strongly preferred NON-clinical service hours - I thought it was just service hours in general.

Regarding the OOS schools, UConn and Utah are not very OOS friendly (24% and 26% respectively), but did not receive a large number of applicants overall so I figured the chances aren't THAT bad. Ohio, Illinois, and Indiana are slightly more OOS friendly but I'm at or below average MCAT wise so I agree they might be tough.

In complete honesty, I expected to get into my state school and did not apply well last year (amateur mistake). The list was too top-heavy. Only 2 II's from State school and UVM. All secondaries were submitted within 2 weeks. Writing has definitely improved. LOR's from physicians and community service are extremely strong. Unfortunately, I only have 1 faculty letter and I have not read it so IDK how strong it is. I graduated 2 years ago so now I have to make do... I think.

Would you add any schools to my list?

You have several state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. Some of your other schools are reaches. I suggest these schools with your stats:
OHSU
TCU
Creighton
St.Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Belmont
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Roseman (when it opens)
Thank you! I was hoping you'd catch wind of this thread! Fortunately, we've agreed on many schools.