App season has started! Goro's guide to the app process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Regarding writing about a time you failed. I addressed (possibly foolishly), my biggest failure and comeback from that failure in my PS (it's a fairly important aspect of how I got here today, so leaving it out would leave out a major gap in my backstory), but I've been thinking of the other failures. One that struck me as an important time in my life was the time I turned back during a backpacking trip in Denali National Park and went a different direction because I was too nervous about crossing a specific peak. Would as story like that sound too much like a "charmed life" story where the only difficult hurdle you faced was something most people won't ever get to try? I was only able to go on the trip through TEAM in training, so it involved a lot more than just flying out and going backpacking, but I realize that this could be viewed in different ways.

On another note, I realize there is a fine line between writing the application to be the ideal candidate and being honest and true to oneself. Where is that line drawn? I sent the first part of my application last week and I felt like it was a really good summary of who I am, but I realize that's only a small part of this entire process. Part of me would like to believe that the med school that accepts my application will want applicants that are like me. The other part of me has been through enough job interviews to realize that there is a lot of nuance to this process and we must be honest and forthright while also putting our best feet forward.

The bold sounds OK. The people who act like they have charmed lives write about trivialities.

As to where is the line drawn, I can't help you there. Things just have to read true, in a coherent manner. Some of this is indeed subjective.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user