APPE Ambulatory Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmDtobe18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently on my APPE Ambulatory Care rotation at a clinical pharmacy diabetes call center. I have been asked to do a 20 minute presentation on a hot topic of my choice related to primary care (not related to diabetes).

Any suggestions? I am at a complete loss for some reason.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently on my APPE Ambulatory Care rotation at a clinical pharmacy diabetes call center. I have been asked to do a 20 minute presentation on a hot topic of my choice related to primary care (not related to diabetes).

Not related to diabetes? do you also manage HIV patients at that site? I would love to hear how you manage the common drug interactions with HIV meds.

Or an overview about the new direct oral anticoagulants. They are gradually claiming the spotlight of warfarin.

An easier topic would be how you manage hypertensive patients with the new cut-off points. I don't know if that is considered relating to diabetes or not.

Reactions: 1 users
Not related to diabetes? do you also manage HIV patients at that site? I would love to hear how you manage the common drug interactions with HIV meds.

Or an overview about the new direct oral anticoagulants. They are gradually claiming the spotlight of warfarin.

An easier topic would be how you manage hypertensive patients with the new cut-off points. I don't know if that is considered relating to diabetes or not.

Thank you so much for your input! We don't work with any HIV patients at this site, unfortunately. However, I like the idea about the new DOACs! I presented on the new HTN guidelines for my previous rotation so I am unable to do that again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your input! We don't work with any HIV patients at this site, unfortunately. However, I like the idea about the new DOACs! I presented on the new HTN guidelines for my previous rotation so I am unable to do that again.

Do your sites compare notes? How will they know?

Do your sites compare notes? How will they know?

I guess that is a good point...just being overly honest, I guess. I did neglect to mention that this presentation should be about 20 minutes, so I'm not sure that it would be quite enough information.

3 in 1 COPD inhalers. And should you really be using ICS in COPD.

Reactions: 3 users
Re-use the HTN presentation ffs. Just fluff it up with a discussion of the SPRINT trial if you need to meet length.

Reactions: 1 user
Polypharmacy and Beers criteria is pretty easy to present

I guess that is a good point...just being overly honest, I guess. I did neglect to mention that this presentation should be about 20 minutes, so I'm not sure that it would be quite enough information.

Dear god, please do not listen to these people telling you to reuse old material. In academia, there is a such a thing called self-plagiarism. You would need to cite that you've done this presentation before. Take the hard, long road. You'll learn a lot, and be that much better off. Take your education seriously and represent this profession well.

Reactions: 1 user
Just compare the new shingles vaccine to the old one. Easy topic.

Dear god, please do not listen to these people telling you to reuse old material. In academia, there is a such a thing called self-plagiarism. You would need to cite that you've done this presentation before. Take the hard, long road. You'll learn a lot, and be that much better off. Take your education seriously and represent this profession well.

Self-plagiarism is controversial in the academic field. Multiple submission is a well-known practice in the business (considered shady, but it's there). I'd venture a good bet that most of the clinical practitioners who present reuse with some changes tailored to the specific ask or site. I know that is specifically expected behavior (and not considered negative) for job application presentations or CMEs (as well as repetitive training). I can understand it if someone does an exact talk (which is really intellectually lazy and defeats the purpose of the education point), but I can also understand students giving adapted talks because they're already overloaded with other things.

If you give the exact talk, yes, you do say that it's a common talk, but if you're not tailoring it to the site, then you aren't doing your job in the first place. That said, it's not hard to construct a clinical talk, and you should be able to put together one quickly (as in within 4 hours for an hour talk for a base clinical audience).

Reactions: 1 users
Self-plagiarism is controversial in the academic field. Multiple submission is a well-known practice in the business (considered shady, but it's there). I'd venture a good bet that most of the clinical practitioners who present reuse with some changes tailored to the specific ask or site. I know that is specifically expected behavior (and not considered negative) for job application presentations or CMEs (as well as repetitive training). I can understand it if someone does an exact talk (which is really intellectually lazy and defeats the purpose of the education point), but I can also understand students giving adapted talks because they're already overloaded with other things.

If you give the exact talk, yes, you do say that it's a common talk, but if you're not tailoring it to the site, then you aren't doing your job in the first place. That said, it's not hard to construct a clinical talk, and you should be able to put together one quickly (as in within 4 hours for an hour talk for a base clinical audience).

I think you need to carefully read everything I wrote. First off as a lecturer, you're expected to reuse material. As a student, you are expected to do original work every time for an assignment. And if you don't, or are modifying an old presentation, you need to cite the old work and have there be zero illusions that you've done so.

You are welcome. Hope it helps!

Good point. I actually always want to have four or five presentations ready and recook them as needed when opportunities come up. I guess it looks good resume-wise, I don't know. The hard part is how to find people willing to listen to a random retail pharmacist babbling on and on for ten, twenty minutes.

This may or may not apply to your site or the resources that you have access to. How about if you did some data mining and selected every patient that is on a high-intensity statin and cross-reference that with their lab work, age, CVD risk factors? You could then confirm or question whether high intensity statin therapy is clinically appropriate for those patients currently treated with one. This can easily be done by a SQL query. The IT person at your site should be able to quickly help you set up this report which anyone will be able to run anytime.
You could flip flop that to figure out who should be on a statin and currently isn't on one.
The nice thing is that you'd provide them with a tool they can continue to use after you're done with the rotation. They'll be able to quantify their interventions, outcomes which makes writing and publishing papers a lot easier.
Just my humble two cents. I don't need twenty people barking back at me about this.

This may or may not apply to your site or the resources that you have access to. How about if you did some data mining and selected every patient that is on a high-intensity statin and cross-reference that with their lab work, age, CVD risk factors? You could then confirm or question whether high intensity statin therapy is clinically appropriate for those patients currently treated with one. This can easily be done by a SQL query. The IT person at your site should be able to quickly help you set up this report which anyone will be able to run anytime.
You could flip flop that to figure out who should be on a statin and currently isn't on one.
The nice thing is that you'd provide them with a tool they can continue to use after you're done with the rotation. They'll be able to quantify their interventions, outcomes which makes writing and publishing papers a lot easier.
Just my humble two cents. I don't need twenty people barking back at me about this.

LOL Why so preemptively defensive? Why expect that people will want to bark at you about it?