APPE Rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon89

Hero of Hyrule
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm a 4th year pharmacy student at Albany College of Pharmacy (and health sciences -.-)

I was just wondering how APPE rotations worked? Like say I wanted to do a couple around the country, does anyone know from experience if the college finds you housing? Or if you have to pay more to do it somewhere else?

My APPEs are during my 6th year btw.

I know it's probably different for every college but I'm curious to know about how yours are and I figure they similar in some aspects :)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My school has a limited number of out of state APPE rotations that the school set up. Housing is provided for some of them (by the rotation site) like IHS.

Out of state students (we have a lot who are from Cali) have set up some rotations for themselves in their home states. All transportation and housing costs are the responsibility of the students.

We can do 3 of our 8 rotations out of state, unless one of them is a "public health" or "service" rotation like IHS or military. Then, we can do 4/8 out of state.

Ohh ok so for your school then can set up some of them and then the rest you gotta set up on your own?

Is there anything have a certain amount in the state that you want to practice in after you graduate?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are IHS rotations difficult to get? I would really, really like to do one in AZ, NM or MN.

I don't think so. I think you just look at the site list and choose the sites you are interested in. Then you contact them and see if they can accomodate you and when they have space. One of my friends will be in NM with IHS next year. Then she's going to Alaska to Elmendorf AFB. I was going to do one of both of those but decided to stay in my immediate geographic area to minimize costs and maximize networking opportunities.

What is an IHS rotation?

Ohh ok so for your school then can set up some of them and then the rest you gotta set up on your own?

Is there anything have a certain amount in the state that you want to practice in after you graduate?

It depends on the school. UIC does not allow students to make up their own rotations. UIC only has a handful of rotations outside of Illinois.

Your school will provide you some opportunities for travel, and others you will have to set up on your own...For example, my rotation location list is as follows:

Richmond VA, Off, Santa Fe NM, Charleston SC, Fairfax VA, Messina Sicily (yes...the island..), Louisville KY, Fairfax VA, then back to Richmond.

Santa Fe is an IHS rotation set up through the school, Messina is set up through the school, and Charleston, Louisville, and Fairfax I had to set up on my own. It's very possible to travel for all your rotations if you want to.

I'm stopping paying rent on my apt in Richmond after my off rotation so i'll have that extra money every month to help with my traveling expenses, but yes- everywhere i go i have to figure out where to live except for Messina. Good luck!

Ohh ok! Thanks everyone for the replies :D I guess it's different for every college and I'm just gonna have to wait until my 6th year to find out! :D

My school leaves it up to us to find housing. I am sure they would try to help if a student asked. Sounds like most people in my class only went out of state if the site offered housing, e.g. IHS, or they had family in the area. A couple students arranged to rent out a room from one of the pharmacists at their site.

I think most schools will require you to set up your own housing if you are doing an away rotation...with the exception of some of things like IHS. Many schools have certain criteria for allowing students to do away rotations because they are a hassle to set up.

Ohh ok! Thanks everyone for the replies :D I guess it's different for every college and I'm just gonna have to wait until my 6th year to find out! :D

Might I also suggest that you try to get to know some people in the class above you whose opinion you trust, and then listen to everything they have to say (good and bad) about rotations? I got some really good advice that way, both regarding rotations that were really good and in rotations to avoid like the plague.