Appealing for IS status mid-school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ariel-Li

UC Davis C/O 2025
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a c/o 2025, still waiting on a few schools and trying to decide on where I'm going, but essentially my husband and I are planning to leave our in-state and move together to whichever state I'm attending school in this year. When he gets a fulltime job in said state and we jointly fill taxes for a year or two, is it possible at all for me to appeal for an in-state status from the school I'll be attending? Does anybody have experience like this?

Members don't see this ad.

When he gets a fulltime job in said state and we jointly fill taxes for a year or two, is it possible at all for me to appeal for an in-state status from the school I'll be attending? Does anybody have experience like this?
Really depends on the school. Some schools you cannot change status at all. The way you're describing is essentially how 99% of students change at Illinois; nearly impossible otherwise.

When you have your final school list, definitely contact financial aid from the schools and clarify the rules *complete with copies of the regulations that describe these rules*. I would absolutely suggest you pick the school that let's you switch from out of state to in state over any school on that list

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all, I'm a c/o 2025, still waiting on a few schools and trying to decide on where I'm going, but essentially my husband and I are planning to leave our in-state and move together to whichever state I'm attending school in this year. When he gets a fulltime job in said state and we jointly fill taxes for a year or two, is it possible at all for me to appeal for an in-state status from the school I'll be attending? Does anybody have experience like this?
100% depends on the state so you will need to contact the registrars office at the schools you're interested in
Schools that let you change as long as you follow their guidelines are: WSU, OHIO, UC Davis, MISSOURI, NC STATE(unsure how that's going since they switched systems)+/- Minnesota (I've heard conflicting things I'm sure someone else knows more) for the most part these are pretty straight forward did WSU myself.
Schools that let you change based on marriage +guidelines is more variable: TN I think is one.
Alot of schools if you're accepted OOS you sign a contract saying you'll pay the OOS price all 4 years. I know KS and IA are pretty impossible to switch. IA I know you cant switch even if you marry a resident.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Update: neither CSU nor Cornell allows changing into IS status after matriculation starts.

So my highest hope is on Davis right now, fingers crossed!

And for people who have been in similar shoes as I am - how would you weigh your study (mostly student loans, tbh) and your SO's career? My husband is a graduating PhD student, and supposedly he has really good career outlook in Colorado. There's a national lab near Boulder that he can easily get a post-doc position and hopefully a staff scientist position. He can also try applying for post-docs in several other state universities I applied to, but future career in industry is more misty. Shall I take on $100,000 more student loan for a better job for him?

Update: neither CSU nor Cornell allows changing into IS status after matriculation starts.

And for people who have been in similar shoes as I am - how would you weigh your study (mostly student loans, tbh) and your SO's career? My husband is a graduating PhD student, and supposedly he has really good career outlook in Colorado. There's a national lab near Boulder that he can easily get a post-doc position and hopefully a staff scientist position. He can also try applying for post-docs in several other state universities I applied to, but future career in industry is more misty. Shall I take on $100,000 more student loan for a better job for him?
This seems like something you and your husband need to figure out on your own. Minimizing debt is something I will always advocate for, but you need to consider your husband’s earning potential and career goals too. Maybe he follows you, maybe you put all your eggs in the Colorado basket and prioritize his career, maybe you guys even live apart for a few years. It’ll probably take some very frank discussions about your goals and future finances, but this kind of thing needs to be a mutual decision both are in support of or it can breed resentment.

Reactions: 3 users

Agreed with Jayna that this is a couple's decision. Part of the discussion is whether or not his job(s) over the next 20 years can compensate (or more ideally overcome) the 100k + interest that accrues during that time on your loans. If not, that is something to consider. Happiness is also super vital for both parties in a relationship and both people should have their needs at least heard out. Could he wait to find that super ideal/perfect job for 4 years while you're in school? There's also the valid point of living apart for the four years as well; my fiance and I have been long distance the entire time I've been in vet school and it was doable.