Appealing rejection?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

Removed 982794

I got a rejection that I’m disappointed about and I think I had a solid case for the school. They offered to sit with after the cycle is over to talk about how to improve for the next cycle which is really kind and I appreciate that. but I’m worried they won’t actually have the information about why I got rejected and it will just be general advise.

So I’m debating trying to appeal the rejection instead. I don’t want to put them off to my app either and am just wondering has anyone had success doing this? And if so who did you send the appeal to? Can I send it directly to the dean of admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

Please don't waste the dean's time with this I would be shocked if the chance of your appeal turning into an interview and then into an acceptance is anything besides 0%

Reactions: 2 users
Bruh. Don't waste your time with appealing. Sometimes they actually do offer advice that is surprisingly specific and helpful. I had an interview at NSU where my interviewer- for whatever reason- very clearly had absolutely no intention of accepting me. They have that right no matter how s***ty it may feel.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You're applying to medical school. Welcome to disappointment-ville. 60% of applicants don't get in.

Don't bother sending an appeal on a decision they've already firmly made (any hesitation on their part would have resulted in a waitlist). Best to focus on applications to other schools now.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I got a rejection that I’m disappointed about and I think I had a solid case for the school. They offered to sit with after the cycle is over to talk about how to improve for the next cycle which is really kind and I appreciate that. but I’m worried they won’t actually have the information about why I got rejected and it will just be general advise.

So I’m debating trying to appeal the rejection instead. I don’t want to put them off to my app either and am just wondering has anyone had success doing this? And if so who did you send the appeal to? Can I send it directly to the dean of admissions?
An appeal will only harm your chances at future admission. I would contact the school and ask them if there are areas in your application that might be improved to increase your chances of admission next year.

Reactions: 1 user

Sometimes decisions are final. The school didn't put you somewhere deep on the wait list, which would be a more common action if the admissions committee were ambivalent about your candidacy. No, the committee issued a formal refusal to give your candidacy any more consideration this cycle. It's over, and attempting some sort of appeal will not cast you in a better light.

Instead, do the mature thing and meet with the school after the cycle is over. You may learn something valuable.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users