APPIC Doctoral/Masters hours in Internship Apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cosmo 23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,
does anyone know whether the averages that APPIC presents for each internship site on mean intervention/assessment hours includes the doctoral hours AND terminal masters hours? Or just the doctoral hours? I realize it says Doctoral. Please only respond if you know for certain. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Those are doctoral hours only, as they are the only ones that "count" in the APPIC match process.

The "total intervention and assessment' is supposed to only reflect doctoral hours. That said, how different hours get counted probably has significant variance by academic program and student so hold the numbers lightly and don't obsess. Yes, programs with very large applicant pools do probably eliminate folks automatically with "less than 500" or less than 1000--but be sure to find out about range. If you have significant master's level or pre-grad employment experience with a relevant population, that can make a big differerence. We are looking for developed competence with a relevant population. I am more interested, for example, in how many families someone has worked with or how many individuals with SMI--and these are separate categories-- where a high concentration might mean someone with a lower total number would still be a better candidate that someone with a higher number but too few hours in the right domain. I am more interested in c.v. (especially clinical experience and work experience with clinical population of interest) and essays in the first screening and the total numbers of hours only comes in when sorting to reduce numbers for interview.

Thanks, all! While the application allows you to include hours accrued in pursuit of a terminal masters, my assumption was that the mean intervention/assessment hours only includes doctoral, which is sounds like it does. Thanks for your perspective docma, which is informative.

take care.