APPIC Phase II Interview Invites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The PM I got didn't have a date. Sorry :(
That's ok! Darn, I really liked that site :( ...guess no invite for me

Members don't see this ad.

Geisinger Medical Center, Personal email, Friday, February 24th, phone interview

I have my first phone/Skype interviews coming up soon. It's been a while since I've interviewed via phone, and I don't think I've ever done a Skype interview... any pro-tips?

Members don't see this ad :)
Andrus (Yonkers, NY)
Rejection
3/2
They said to consider them next year if this year does not work out well, as with more experience my application will be much more competitive (this is my second year in the Match process and I have nine years of experience as a school psych, but oh well).

I have my first phone/Skype interviews coming up soon. It's been a while since I've interviewed via phone, and I don't think I've ever done a Skype interview... any pro-tips?

Well you can wear any pants you want. ;)

But it all seriousness, phase II interviews go fast and generally are to the point. Act like you would in a regular interview and don't get thrown off if they jump around a lot. As for the skype aspect, the only thing that's really different about it is knowing where you focus your eyes. I took my cues from the interviewer. If they looked at the camera and essentially made eye contact with me then I would do that too otherwise I'd look at them on the screen. Sometimes I would also look at the camera (even if the person didn't do that) because I think it helps to connect with the person, but I didn't do it too much if they seemed nervous or awkward for some reason.

Remember, sites are just as freaked about being in Phase II as applicants are so they are working just as hard to find a match. The harder they sell themselves (and they will do that more than in Phase I), the more they like you.

Reactions: 4 users
Huntington VA
Intvitation
Phone call,
3/2 at ~11:15am EST

Test out the video and the audio before having the meeting, preferably at the location where you would like to have it. Check the lighting. Make sure that you are in a professional or neutral location that is fairly quiet without any background noise. I would actually aim to look at the camera rather than the screen, particularly when you are talking, as that will give more of the illusion of eye contact with the interviewer.

Reactions: 1 users
Louisiana School Psychology Internship Consortium (LASPIC)
Crescent City Schools
Invitation
Personal e-mail sent 3/2

Crescent City Schools
Invitation
Personal e-mail sent 3/2

I interviewed with them in Phase I if you would like any insight or have any questions about their specific site! Good luck!

Test out the video and the audio before having the meeting, preferably at the location where you would like to have it. Check the lighting. Make sure that you are in a professional or neutral location that is fairly quiet without any background noise. I would actually aim to look at the camera rather than the screen, particularly when you are talking, as that will give more of the illusion of eye contact with the interviewer.
Make sure you have dogs and/or babies in the background which you think will stay quiet but which will instead interrupt you midway through an important answer by crying or barking (hopefully the babies aren't the ones barking).

University of Michigan CAPS, phone call 3/2/17 invite to interview

Is it normal for it to take this long to hear back from places? ... I know they don't have to reply to us at all but I have many sites that I haven't heard back from and they are not listed on here either . I was thinking phase two would go quicker, now I'm starting to feel hopeless

UNC-Chapel Hill Caps
Mass Email
Invitation sent 3/2

University of Illinois
Phone Call
Invitation on 3/1

University at Buffalo
Mass Email
Invitation on 3/2

San Bernardino County
Phone Call
Invitation on 3/2

SUNY Old Westbury
Email
Invitation on 2/28

Emory University CAPS
Email
Invitation on 2/28

Allendale Association
Email
Invitation on 2/25

University of Northern Colorado
Email
Invitation on 2/27

Stony Brook University
Email
Invitation on 2/27

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wellspan Behavioral Health emailed 2/24 in person interview 3/10
Ancora Psychiatric Hospital emailed 3/1 phone interview TBD
Hefner VA Medical Center emailed 3/2 phone interview 3/6

Also..very slow responses still waiting to hear from quite a few places that have not been posted here.

Cal State Fullerton CAPS
Phone Call 3/2 @1pm
Interview

Coatesville VA
Invitation
3/2 @ ~4:30pm EST
Personal email

Atascadero State Hospital
Rejection
3/2 @ ~3:30 EST
Mass email

Phoenix VA
Rejection
3/1 @ ~7pm EST

Crescent City Schools
Invitation
Personal e-mail sent 3/2

And to add to that:

Louisiana School Psychology Internship Consortium
Jefferson Parish
Invitation
Personal e-mail sent 3/2

And:
I got a mass e-mail from the internship training director for LASPIC indicating that she wants to interview in addition to the member sites.

Hutchings Psychiatric Center
Invitation
3/2 @ ~5:10pm
Personal email

Chestnut Hill College Consortium-Beechwood Rehabilitation
Invitation for phone interview
3/2 3:00PM
Personal Email

Medical College of Georgia/Norwood VA Med Center
Invitation by personal e-mail
3/3/17

There are still 6 sites that I haven't heard back from and nobody has posted anything about them on SDN. Do you all think today is the last day we'll hear from most sites? I would assume they'd invite this week and interview next week.

George Washington University Counseling Center, Mass email, 3/2/17 around 4pm invite to interview

Andrus (Yonkers, NY)
Rejection
3/2
They said to consider them next year if this year does not work out well, as with more experience my application will be much more competitive (this is my second year in the Match process and I have nine years of experience as a school psych, but oh well).
They sent me the same E-mail.

Ohio Psychology Internship (Akron, OH)
Invitation
Phone call
3/3 ~10am

There are still 6 sites that I haven't heard back from and nobody has posted anything about them on SDN. Do you all think today is the last day we'll hear from most sites? I would assume they'd invite this week and interview next week.
Yea, I wonder if not everyone is posting invites. But I imagine there may be some that send emails/calls on Monday?

I participated in phase II my application year and heard back from sites as late as Monday.

At the same time, not everyone uses SDN so there will still be some sites not listed here.

Medical College of Georgia/Norwood VA Med Center
Women's Psychology Track -- phone interview Monday 3/6
3/3/17

So this is my second year participating in the Match, and last year I participated in Phase I and Phase II. In Phase II, I had had 5 interviews by the Wednesday before rankings were due. I thought I wasn't going to get any more, so I submitted my rankings. Then, the following day (Thursday before the deadline) I was contacted by another site asking to interview. So I interviewed and had to revise and resubmit my rankings! :)

So this is my second year participating in the Match, and last year I participated in Phase I and Phase II. In Phase II, I had had 5 interviews by the Wednesday before rankings were due. I thought I wasn't going to get any more, so I submitted my rankings. Then, the following day (Thursday before the deadline) I was contacted by another site asking to interview. So I interviewed and had to revise and resubmit my rankings! :)
Hmm...So the moral of the story is not to give up hope too soon? :) That's what I want to take from it anyway.

University of Denver Graduate School of Professional Psychology Internship Consortium
Kaiser Permanente- Eating Disorder Track
Invite, 3/3 @ 6:45 PM EST
Interview date: March 9th

Syracuse VA email to schedule interview 2/28/17
UCSD/VA mass email followed by personal emails to schedule interviews 3/3 @ 12:30pm
Ann Arbor VA phone call to schedule interview 3/3 ~ 5pm

Reactions: 1 users
Ann Arbor VA phone call to schedule interview 3/3 ~ 5pm

Thanks for posting this! I wasn't sure what to expect from this site in phase II. In phase I, their brochure states that they don't do interviews because they rank based on your application, and they provide a non-evaluative open house for applicants to ask questions and learn more about the site. I have been wondering about how this approach might play out in phase II. I'm curious, was the invitation clearly an interview, or was it framed more as an opportunity for you to have your questions answered?

Thanks for posting this! I wasn't sure what to expect from this site in phase II. In phase I, their brochure states that they don't do interviews because they rank based on your application, and they provide a non-evaluative open house for applicants to ask questions and learn more about the site. I have been wondering about how this approach might play out in phase II. I'm curious, was the invitation clearly an interview, or was it framed more as an opportunity for you to have your questions answered?

It was one of the primary supervisors for the track that I am interested in. She was very nice and we set up a time next week to talk more.

I can tell you the site I'm at right now (a VA) is currently reviewing applications and will be in touch Monday/Tuesday of next week. You have to remember that sites just finished up postdoc phase 1, so it may take a little time. But you'll hear this week.

I can tell you the site I'm at right now (a VA) is currently reviewing applications and will be in touch Monday/Tuesday of next week. You have to remember that sites just finished up postdoc phase 1, so it may take a little time. But you'll hear this week.
Thanks for the info. Sites has better hurry, though. Ranking deadline is a week from Monday. Hearing sometime this week isn't going to work.

Sent from my XT1080 using SDN mobile

Thanks for the info. Sites has better hurry, though. Ranking deadline is a week from Monday. Hearing sometime this week isn't going to work.

Sites are aware of this and they have other duties besides just looking at applications. Many people are staying late and working through lunch and on weekends to comb through them. They're working as hard and as fast as already overworked psychologists can.

It was one of the primary supervisors for the track that I am interested in. She was very nice and we set up a time next week to talk more.
Hi Sanza831, thanks for sharing and congratulations on getting an interview at Ann Arbor VA! Would you mind sharing the track?

If you don't feel uncomfortable answering, which VA are you at right now? It's okay if you'd rather not say. I'm just curious :)

Hi Sanza831, thanks for sharing and congratulations on getting an interview at Ann Arbor VA! Would you mind sharing the track?

I applied to both (Womens Mental Health, and PTSD).

I understand your frustration about hearing late, but phase 2 is extremely condensed and is not at an ideal time for many sites. Like someone else mentioned, our chief postdoc and training director have been working through lunch and staying well past 6pm most nights to choose people to interview. We will be interviewing people late into the evening 3 days this upcoming week and will be flexible with schedules, which is plenty of time for people to make their rank order and submit.

You'll understand much better next year when you're on the other side how complex this process can be for sites to juggle everything.

Reactions: 5 users
I understand your frustration about hearing late, but phase 2 is extremely condensed and is not at an ideal time for many sites. Like someone else mentioned, our chief postdoc and training director have been working through lunch and staying well past 6pm most nights to choose people to interview. We will be interviewing people late into the evening 3 days this upcoming week and will be flexible with schedules, which is plenty of time for people to make their rank order and submit.

You'll understand much better next year when you're on the other side how complex this process can be for sites to juggle everything.

First of all, please do not be condescending and talk to me like I'm 5 years old and tell me that when I'm older, I'll understand.

Secondly, if all sites were handling things the way that yours is, there would be no problem. It's fairly clear that your site has already sent out notifications and is trying to be flexible with people's schedules. Clearly, not all sites are putting in this effort. Some have not sent out notifications. Of those that have, not all have made the effort to be flexible. I had one site that asked for my availability and then completely ignored it. I've had others tell me that I have to choose between 2-3 time slots, and if I can't, then I can't interview.

Third, my comment was really only directed to the assurance that we would hear "this week." I only meant to point out that if we hear on Thursday or Friday, that is very inconsiderate. It's not just an un-ideal time for sites; students are busy too. During Phase I, we were given a pass by our programs and our practicum sites to really focus on the application process. During Phase II, we're expected to continue on with our normal activities while going through this insane process.

First of all, please do not be condescending and talk to me like I'm 5 years old and tell me that when I'm older, I'll understand.

Secondly, if all sites were handling things the way that yours is, there would be no problem. It's fairly clear that your site has already sent out notifications and is trying to be flexible with people's schedules. Clearly, not all sites are putting in this effort. Some have not sent out notifications. Of those that have, not all have made the effort to be flexible. I had one site that asked for my availability and then completely ignored it. I've had others tell me that I have to choose between 2-3 time slots, and if I can't, then I can't interview.

Third, my comment was really only directed to the assurance that we would hear "this week." I only meant to point out that if we hear on Thursday or Friday, that is very inconsiderate. It's not just an un-ideal time for sites; students are busy too. During Phase I, we were given a pass by our programs and our practicum sites to really focus on the application process. During Phase II, we're expected to continue on with our normal activities while going through this insane process.

I apologize for my post coming off as condescending, I certainly didn't mean it that way. What I was trying to say is that when I was in your shoes last year, I felt the same way regarding sites' timelines and have learned a great deal this year about what's involved on the other side. It's incredibly frustrating that sites are notifying anywhere from a few days after the start of Phase II to a few days before the end. And it's even more discouraging how inflexible sites have been. The system is very much flawed and needs to be fixed.

My site has not yet sent out notifications. They will send them out likely Monday for interviews Tuesday through Friday.

It is an insane process, and I have nothing but empathy for you. I wish you the best of luck going forward.

Reactions: 6 users
You posted the Child Guidance Center of Southern Connecticut as having sent out invites. Do you know when the date was? Thanks!

I wasn't the one that sent the PM and this quote was from Wednesday (3/1), but on Friday (3/3), I received a call from them inviting to interview. Perhaps they are scattering them out?