APPIC Phase II Interview Invites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wasn't the one that sent the PM and this quote was from Wednesday (3/1), but on Friday (3/3), I received a call from them inviting to interview. Perhaps they are scattering them out?
That's good to hear and may be true! Thanks for the info :)

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, please do not be condescending and talk to me like I'm 5 years old and tell me that when I'm older, I'll understand.

Secondly, if all sites were handling things the way that yours is, there would be no problem. It's fairly clear that your site has already sent out notifications and is trying to be flexible with people's schedules. Clearly, not all sites are putting in this effort. Some have not sent out notifications. Of those that have, not all have made the effort to be flexible. I had one site that asked for my availability and then completely ignored it. I've had others tell me that I have to choose between 2-3 time slots, and if I can't, then I can't interview.

Third, my comment was really only directed to the assurance that we would hear "this week." I only meant to point out that if we hear on Thursday or Friday, that is very inconsiderate. It's not just an un-ideal time for sites; students are busy too. During Phase I, we were given a pass by our programs and our practicum sites to really focus on the application process. During Phase II, we're expected to continue on with our normal activities while going through this insane process.

As a TD at an accredited site who is in Phase II this year for the first time in a decade, let me provide you with a little perspective.

We received three times the number of applications we typically get during Phase I. During Phase I we have 5 weeks to review applications and another 6 weeks to make rank order decisions. In Phase II we have 2 weeks from the time we get access to the portal (a week after you) to the time we have to certify our rankings. We are also expected to continue on with our normal activities and this is one of the busiest times of year at my site. Since 2/23 I have spent 60-70 hours a week at work in order to give each applicant the time and respect their application deserves. Next week when I continue to conduct interviews I will be doing 6 interviews a day in addition to seeing two to three clients each day. I haven't yet notified rejections because part of me wants to try to find more time for a few more that sound like great clinicians (but not as good of a fit for my site). Also, FWIW, my site isn't listed in the notifications sent list.

So when someone says TDs are working hard to get back to you and that you'll understand better on the other side of the process, it isn't condescending - it's the truth. This process is just as hard, if not harder, for the TDs as it is for you (and I can say this because years ago I was in clearinghouse and so I've got some perspective on just how stressful this is.)

Reactions: 13 users
First of all, please do not be condescending and talk to me like I'm 5 years old and tell me that when I'm older, I'll understand.

Secondly, if all sites were handling things the way that yours is, there would be no problem. It's fairly clear that your site has already sent out notifications and is trying to be flexible with people's schedules. Clearly, not all sites are putting in this effort. Some have not sent out notifications. Of those that have, not all have made the effort to be flexible. I had one site that asked for my availability and then completely ignored it. I've had others tell me that I have to choose between 2-3 time slots, and if I can't, then I can't interview.

Third, my comment was really only directed to the assurance that we would hear "this week." I only meant to point out that if we hear on Thursday or Friday, that is very inconsiderate. It's not just an un-ideal time for sites; students are busy too. During Phase I, we were given a pass by our programs and our practicum sites to really focus on the application process. During Phase II, we're expected to continue on with our normal activities while going through this insane process.

Interesting article, you may want to take a look. It may be about pharm. students, but it's applicable here.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4140482/

Everyone recognizes how hectic Phase II is, but I think you need to take a step back and recognize that training directors are offering you an opportunity after not matching during the first round. You need them, they don't necessarily need you. Rather, they are doing the field a favor by (often selflessly) investing in the education of young trainees. Training directors are busy running clinics, supervising students and staff psychologists, contacting newly matched post-docs, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc. not to mention overseeing patient care. I believe you need to engage in some reframing and recognize that you as a student attempting to complete academic requirements does not trump the daily responsibilities of a training director. Expecting them to bend for you is unrealistic and unprofessional IMO.

Also, psyquailman didn't say "you'll understand when you're older."

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting article, you may want to take a look. It may be about pharm. students, but it's applicable here.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4140482/

Everyone recognizes how hectic Phase II is, but I think you need to take a step back and recognize that training directors are offering you an opportunity after not matching during the first round. You need them, they don't necessarily need you. Rather, they are doing the field a favor by (often selflessly) investing in the education of young trainees. Training directors are busy running clinics, supervising students and staff psychologists, contacting newly matched post-docs, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc. not to mention overseeing patient care. I believe you need to engage in some reframing and recognize that you as a student attempting to complete academic requirements does not trump the daily responsibilities of a training director. Expecting them to bend for you is unrealistic and unprofessional IMO.

Also, psyquailman didn't say "you'll understand when you're older."
You're allowed to have your opinion, and I'm allowed to have mine. But I am truly sorry to have offended people. I apologize for my unwise posts.

Sent from my XT1080 using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Andrus (Yonkers, NY)
Rejection
3/2
They said to consider them next year if this year does not work out well, as with more experience my application will be much more competitive (this is my second year in the Match process and I have nine years of experience as a school psych, but oh well).
That's really frustrating...I'm sorry. Maybe you can ask them to specify what specifically needs to be improved upon.

West Palm Beach VA
Rejection
Mass email
3/6 ~12pm

Denver University (Treatment and Evaluation Services track)
Invitation
Personal email
3/6 ~2pm

Sending everyone positive thoughts for their remaining notifications and interviews this week!! :)

Reactions: 1 user
updated. Things seem to be winding down. Hope everyone is surviving interviews! I've had 7 so far and have 5 left! :dead:

Members don't see this ad :)
updated. Only had 2 more to add this time. Its winding down!!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an interview offer for a site this morning! I will be doing the interview tomorrow morning. Just wanted to let everyone know that it is still possible to receive interview offers this late in the game!

West Palm Beach VA
Rejection
3/6/2017

Greater Hartford Internship Consortium
Rejection
3/8/2017

Kennedy Krieger- Deafness/neuro Track
Rejection
3/8/2017

Charles George VA
Rejection
3/10/2017

Just got an interview offer for a site this morning! I will be doing the interview tomorrow morning. Just wanted to let everyone know that it is still possible to receive interview offers this late in the game!

Wow! That's fun! Hope it goes well! To everyone else, hope your ranking process is stress free!

Also, does anyone know if the phase 2 match emails get sent around the same time of day the phase 1 emails got sent?

Also, does anyone know if the phase 2 match emails get sent around the same time of day the phase 1 emails got sent?

Yes, they do. Although personally I got mine much earlier. Maybe I was higher in the email queue that day?

Yes, they do. Although personally I got mine much earlier. Maybe I was higher in the email queue that day?
Sorry. Do you mean you got your Phase 1 or Phase 2 emails earlier? I got my Phase 1 email at around 8 am, as did most members of my cohort. Do you think that's when the Phase 2 emails go out?

Sorry. Do you mean you got your Phase 1 or Phase 2 emails earlier? I got my Phase 1 email at around 8 am, as did most members of my cohort. Do you think that's when the Phase 2 emails go out?

My phase 1 email came at 6:55 am CST. My whole cohort had received their emails by then.

My phase 1 email came around 6:30 am CST as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Do you think the phase 2 emails will come around then too? I would think, since there are fewer of us in this round than in Phase 1, that they would; but there might be other factors I don't know about

Maybe this is a Phase 2 thing, but I'm struggling with the idea that a site can interview an applicant for 30 minutes and make a decision, particularly one to rank highly, based on that short amount of time. Is that just normal? It's hard to tell who is interested, but I guess that's how it goes.

And another thing: Should we rank sites that didn't interview or reject us? I didn't hear back from 7 sites (that aren't even listed on the SDN list).

And another thing: Should we rank sites that didn't interview or reject us? I didn't hear back from 7 sites (that aren't even listed on the SDN list).

I would say no. If they didn't ask us for an interview, we likely aren't a good fit and are unlikely to be ranked by a site. Remember, in phase 2, sites were not required to send us rejection emails. So I personally interpreted no response as a rejection.

Do you think the phase 2 emails will come around then too? I would think, since there are fewer of us in this round than in Phase 1, that they would; but there might be other factors I don't know about

I would assume so. Hopefully :) I can't believe we have to wait another week. This process seems unending.

I agree. What struck me even more was how some sites—especially counseling centers—did not seem to put in an effort to create a memorable experience or distinguish themselves from other sites. While I understand that these sites must be exhausted, it does make for a difficult time when it comes to site ranking. Sigh. Perhaps that's just my experience of Phase II (although I felt similarly with some sites Phase I).

I agree. Actually for me, the sites that interviewed me for 30 to 60 minutes seemed to put in a lot of effort when compared to one of the sites that literally spent just 10 minutes with me on the phone (9 minutes of asking me questions and 1 minute for me to ask them questions...).

I personally don't see what you'd lose from ranking sites you have not heard back from. It may be the case they rank everyone that submitted an application and may not have extended interviews offers. It doesn't really hurt your odds of matching somewhere. If you're not ranked, the algorithm just moves down your list. No harm done. For sites that sent you a rejection, it doesn't really make sense to rank them, as they've told you outright they're not interested in your application. Again, ranking sites that sent a rejection won't hurt you, but it's kind of pointless.

My phase II came earlier. I got it around 6-630 while my phase I came around 845.

Edited to add: EST

Maybe this is a Phase 2 thing, but I'm struggling with the idea that a site can interview an applicant for 30 minutes and make a decision, particularly one to rank highly, based on that short amount of time. Is that just normal? It's hard to tell who is interested, but I guess that's how it goes.

I can't speak for every site but at my site we don't give interviews to people who aren't a good fit on paper, so we don't waste time on people that we aren't interested in.

By the time we do the actual interview I can tell pretty quickly (sometimes by the second question, definitely within the first 5 minutes) if you would likely be a good fit for our site and certainly within 30 minutes if you live up to how your application reads.

That said, good luck everyone! I hope that you each end up in places you enjoy and appreciate.

Reactions: 1 users
Fingers crossed for everyone and I hope you all get great news tomorrow! I'm feeling way more anxious this go around!

Reactions: 4 users
I matched! Hope everyone is getting good news!

Reactions: 5 users
I got my number 5 choice :-( the only silver lining is it is APA accredited. It is not in line with any of my goals or interests.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope that you're still able to make your goals. I know of several people who went on to do their post-doc at sites that were very different from their internship site. You're definitely much better off at an APA-accredited site! Congratulations!

I got my number 5 choice :-( the only silver lining is it is APA accredited. It is not in line with any of my goals or interests.

I'm sorry :-( This whole process is really filled with complicated emotions. Congrats on securing an accredited placement!!

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope that you're still able to make your goals. I know of several people who went on to do their post-doc at sites that were very different from their internship site. You're definitely much better off at an APA-accredited site! Congratulations!

Thank you. I appreciate it :)

If anyone didn't match in this round, don't worry! There are plenty of good sites left in Post-Match Vacancy. If anyone is looking for university counseling experience I see Southern Utah University is listed. I heard this site has solid generalist training and specialty area opportunities from a few colleagues who were interns. Check them out and good luck :):thumbup::thumbup:

I matched as well!

When should we be hearing from our training sites? I think the e-mail just said as soon as possible after 11 AM EST on the 20th.