Technology Apple ordering 10 million iPhones for Verizon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StatCoder

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/05/13/report-10-million-cdma-iphones-on-order/

DigiTimes has released a pretty interesting report this morning, one that would have us believe that Apple has just placed an order for a whole whack of CDMA iPhones. The CDMA iPhone is to be built by Pegatron — a subsidiary of ASUStek — and the company is expected to deliver up to 10 million devices per year. Naturally, both Pegatron and Apple have declined to comment, but it's pretty interesting that this rumor closely mirrors what the WSJ recently reported. Factor in that just two days ago we discovered that Verizon is working on an iPhone advertising blitz targeted for the end of summer and we'd say these CDMA iPhone rumors are getting really, really hard to ignore.

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/05/13/report-10-million-cdma-iphones-on-order/

DigiTimes has released a pretty interesting report this morning, one that would have us believe that Apple has just placed an order for a whole whack of CDMA iPhones. The CDMA iPhone is to be built by Pegatron — a subsidiary of ASUStek — and the company is expected to deliver up to 10 million devices per year. Naturally, both Pegatron and Apple have declined to comment, but it's pretty interesting that this rumor closely mirrors what the WSJ recently reported. Factor in that just two days ago we discovered that Verizon is working on an iPhone advertising blitz targeted for the end of summer and we'd say these CDMA iPhone rumors are getting really, really hard to ignore.

I'm still really curious how they'll handle the no talking and web at the same time. My friend with an iPhone uses that all the time. Seems like a significant part of the iPhone experience.

Maybe Apple just wants to take the plunge, then with revision 2 (Summer 2011), Verizon will have enough LTE around that Apple can do a 4G phone with the capability.

Members don't see this ad :)
Time will tell, Although I'm not sure about this. AT&T wouldn't have given Apple the sweet deal on the iPad if they didn't get anything in return. iPhone customers are AT&T's bread and butter, loosing them would hurt their company in the pocket.

Although I don't doubt a CDMA version of the iPhone exists, probably in some underground lab on the Apple Campus

Even per this rumor production would not start until September.

Anyway, at least soon enough every other carrier can feel the pain of what iPhone data traffic can bring. Share the love.

If this is true, I wonder how much it cost Apple to get out of the exclusivity contract with AT&T? When the iPhone was introduced, Apple signed a five-year agreement with AT&T. Of course Apple likely will make more money by paying the fine to do an early termination of the agreement and selling more iPhones through Verizon.

AT&T will have its day of reckoning when Verizon carries the iPhone. Maybe they know it's about to happen and that's why they release the "Mark the Spot" app to help improve service.

I'll probably stay with AT&T if Verizon carries the iPhone. With all the people leaving AT&T for Verizon, AT&T's network should be a little better since it'll be less strained.

I'll probably stay with AT&T if Verizon carries the iPhone. With all the people leaving AT&T for Verizon, AT&T's network should be a little better since it'll be less strained.

Dead zones are dead zones.