1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Applicant Advice

Discussion in 'Neurology' started by dog_lover, Apr 16, 2004.

1. dog_lover

dog_lover New Member

Hello,

I am looking for advice on where to apply for neuro residency programs. Let me rephrase that-- I am BEGGING for advice. The advice doesn't have to be nice or politically correct; it only has to be honest.

I've been reading the posts & still wonder where I stand as an applicant.

I read the post about neuro not being competitive if you're an MD from a US program. Does the same apply for DOs? (I'm a DO student.)

How important are grades in years 1 & 2? (Mine are okay: near-honors average overall, honors in everything in which I am interested.)

board scores? (My goal was to pass-- and I did.)

grades in years 3 & 4 (I have very strong evaluations.)

letters of rec? (I was told that I have a glowing Dean's Letter & excellent LORs.)

research experience? (I have a few neuroscience publications, poster presentations, and a master's degree-- but I'm not sure if that helps my case or not. In fact, I often wonder if I would have better grades & board scores if I weren't doing all of this...)

I'd appreciate any wisdom you have to share with me. And don't be afraid to be honest.

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. blondarb

blondarb PGY-4 Neuro
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I too am a DO student who was interested in neuro. I did not have much in the way of research other than some undergrad stuff and a little project on rib raising. I applied to about 12 programs and got interviews at 10. I was focussed regionally because my wife and I needed to match together (ah the joy of separate matches).

I applied and interviewed at (in no particular order): Med college of ohio, henry ford (detroit), wayne state (detroit), michigan state (lansing, mi), case wastern (cleveland), cleveland clinic, northewestern (chicago), mayo clinic (rochester).

I turned down loyola and uic because chicago is too big for me.

I was denied U of Michigan and Rush, but I think they are both traditionally DO unfriendly in their neuro programs. this isn't to say you wouldn't get in, but it may be tough.

I matched at case, which was my number two choice. It is kind of an odd program, but i think it will be good (keeping my fingers crossed). I liked it better than cleveland clinic and felt more comfortable there.

I also really liked Mayo, but obviously wasn't competetive enough. Oh well, there's always fellowship. ;-)

I think as a DO you will have no problems matching into a good neuro program. Just work hard and get good letters. Good luck.

4. dog_lover

dog_lover New Member

Thanks for the reply.

You matched at Case Western? That's great!
    Why do you say that Case is odd?
    What was your first choice, if you don't mind me asking?

You mentioned that we don't have the same research experience, but do you think that we are comparable on other fronts like grades during years 1 & 2? board scores? (I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this... I would feel much better about my chances of being accepted if you say that we are similar in this respect.)

5. blondarb

blondarb PGY-4 Neuro
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Why do you say that Case is odd?

Cases curriculum is a little non traditional. In 2001 they switched to a longitudinal curriculum for their 2nd year of residency (pgy-3). I don't know if any other programs have done this or not. Some people I spoke with on the interview trail liked this idea, others were uncomfortable with it. I liked it.

They also only interviewed on saturday. Most other programs interview during the week and allow you to sit in on morning report, grand rounds or some other similar thing. At case we did not get that.

I am also not sure of case's reputation. I have not seen it spoken about much on this site, but that means very little. However it is ranked 22 by us news for neurology/neurosurgery. For whatever that is worth (again, not much). I have had attendings who have told me they feel it has a good reputation and the residents seem to get good fellowships.

What was your first choice, if you don't mind me asking?

My first choice was Mayo.