Applicant Cuts Before Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chemist0157

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen on this forum before that many schools do send secondaries to non-competitive applicants just to raise money, and I believe it. But is there any source that provides information about how many applicants are cut before secondaries?

So far, of my schools, only VCU has offered such figures. VCU reports that they receive 5,000 primaries from AMCAS and only send out 2,600 secondaries. I was just curious if this is a "normal" cut and that other schools do roughly the same thing.

I ask because I have been receiving secondaries, and I am curious as to whether I actually have a chance or they just want my money :rolleyes:.

Members don't see this ad.

VCU got 5,664 applications for Fall 2007 admission according to US News so I think your numbers for them are a bit old.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can also check in your MSAR to see which schools send out secondaries to all applicants and which ones screen. Then you'll be able to decipher which ones are just sucking up all your money.

Thank you, jgberken!

VCU got 5,664 applications for Fall 2007 admission according to US News so I think your numbers for them are a bit old.

That number (5,000) actually came from VCU's website, lol. I'm sure it was to be taken as a rough estimate.

And what if I do not have an MSAR? And this is what people mean when they use the term "screen"?

I have seen on this forum before that many schools do send secondaries to non-competitive applicants just to raise money, and I believe it. But is there any source that provides information about how many applicants are cut before secondaries?

So far, of my schools, only VCU has offered such figures. VCU reports that they receive 5,000 primaries from AMCAS and only send out 2,600 secondaries. I was just curious if this is a "normal" cut and that other schools do roughly the same thing.

I ask because I have been receiving secondaries, and I am curious as to whether I actually have a chance or they just want my money :rolleyes:.
Fish for compliments much??

You want us to tell you that you have a great application with your balanced 35 and 4.0...well you do.