Applicant New Selection Criteria Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elsenor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
You are given the power to define a new selection criteria for pre-med students. What qualities would you look for in a pre-med student?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would standardize college grading across the nation and go mostly off of that standardized gpa with a bit less emphasis on mcat. Ecs would be important but not quite as important as they are now

A basic psychological profile test would be my biggest change. Employers use these tests to screen people at ****ing Target all the way up to industry giants like GE and Google and yet medicine doesn't screen our candidates at all aside from intellectual testing.

Bench press
Bench press scaled to weight or bf %.
Mandatory 1RM testing and weigh ins at a testing center

We could even do VO2 max.
Whoa there hotshots there's time enough for all of these things (did you think that "ortho boards" referred to an actual exam? ;))

Also @OP I see someone is prepping for MMIs haha. Good luck! (I don't have anything socially correct to say about this topic)

Reactions: 1 users
A battery of psychologic

each college is an independent institution and there are several thousand in the US
each professor is an independent instructor teaching and grading the course the way they see fit.
each course may have multiple possible text books and course designs
each course may have wide variety in examinations
each medical school has a wide variety of required classes (unlike 20 years ago).
being a physician isnt simply having the best academic background.
MCAT is the only standardized instrument possible across the applicant population

Unless we moved to standardized courses taught in a standardized method measured by standardized exams, across all colleges for all premeds, how would you standardize the colleges?

Same course material and every test is percentile based. Honestly as long as the grading is standardized I think that is the most important part

Moderators. PLEASE sticky!!!

Too bad there isnt detailed selection criteria already published and an easy way for applicants to know it

There should be the development of a core competencies that premeds need to use to guide their academic and experiential preparation. Oh wait there are
Admissions Lifecycle - Admissions - AAMC
Course Requirements | M.D. Admissions | Albert Einstein College of Medicine
https://wmpeople.wm.edu/asset/index/btsher/competenciesworksheet
Not to mention all the detailed school websites

Well, there should be detailed core competencies of what I will be expected as a medical student. Oh, there is
Einstein Educational Competencies | M.D. Program | Albert Einstein College of Medicine
https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/core-competencies/corecompetencyreport2012.pdf?sfvrsn=4

Well, there should be a set of clear free or inexpensive of what schools are are looking for. Oh wait, there is
Medical School Admission Requirements®
2018 Osteopathic Medical College Information Book (CIB)

Well, there should be a detailed 125 page outline of what I need to know for the MCAT. Oh wait, there is
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...a-4c00-83dd-c17cee034c47/mcat2015-content.pdf
What's on the MCAT Exam?

Well, there should be a set of free data sources for applicants about applying, how medical students do, and even residency. Oh wait there is
FACTS: Applicants, Matriculants, Enrollment, Graduates, MD/PhD, and Residency Applicants Data - Data and Analysis - AAMC
AACOM Reports
Main Residency Match Data and Reports - The Match, National Resident Matching Program
ACGME Data Resource Book

Well, at least there should be a detailed explanation of what letters of evaluation should contain. Oh wait, there is
https://www.aamc.org/download/349990/data/lettersguidelinesbrochure.pdf

Well at least there should be a large array of free tutorials and tools explaining how all this works. Oh wait, there is
AMCAS® Tools and Tutorials

What does there really need to be?
1) AAMC/AACOMAS advisor certification
2) required course on premed pathway that all must pass prior to being allowed to register for the MCAT
3) An MCAT score on file prior to being allowed to submit an AMCAS
4) a read thru/registration page for each school on their website forcing the applicant to read thru before allowed to apply
5) MSAR/AMCAS free "premed" registration that allows you to enter and track all your course, EC, etc info during your years of college and flows into your actual application when you apply.

Reactions: 4 users
I see someone is prepping for MMIs haha

Haha actually I don't have MMIs for the schools I am applying to. I came across this question on Reddit and was wondering myself what the general pre-med population thinks about this topic!