Applicant Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chimed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it considered inappropriate to ask an applicant what other programs they are applying to during an interview or at the applicant dinner? When I was in the applicant position, I really didn't care. My reason to bring it up is typically just for conversation and has no hidden agenda. But I don't want to make an applicant uncomfortable....Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't felt the least bit uncomfortable when people have asked other places i was interviewing at. Whether it was residents, PDs, or interviewers. *shrug*

I won't mention EVERY program, but I'll mention a few as examples of where else I"m interviewing usually.

I think that if it is a resident asking you during the dinner/lunch, it's fine and can lead to an honest opinion/conversation.

I do get nervous, however, if an interviewer asks me this. I start to think they are playing games, in terms of trying to compete with these other programs, or will look at me differently as a candidate depending on where my other interviews are.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's definitely inappropriate when PDs and interviewers ask it. Just not a polite question in that situation. I always think to myself, "why does it matter?"

I understand when residents and other interviewees ask the question over lunch/dinner. To me, it's one of those things you bring up when you have nothing else to say. I just keep it regional (e.g. programs in the northeast), but I can see it offers the opportunity to compare programs and offer insight.

All and all on my list of annoying questions people ask...it ranks very low.
1. So what do you do?
2. Are you in a relationship right now?
10. Where else (have/are) you interview(ed/ing)?

Last edited:
So far this interview season I've been asked the following (surprising)questions:

--How old are you?
--Where else are you interviewing? (on at least 3 separate occasions)
--Where have you interviewed so far?
--What have you thought of the programs you've looked at so far?

i love the "tell me about yourself" question. on one interview, after i basically summarized my life story, he says "no, thats not what i wanted to know". ok great, how about you ASK me what you want to know then :rolleyes:

--How old are you?

"As old as my tongue and a little bit older than my teeth"

Totally random, but I'll give anybody a great big :) if they can answer what movie that is from.

Hint: It has to do with a coming holiday and has a psychiatrist in it. And, it happens to be one of my favorite movies...:D

"As old as my tongue and a little bit older than my teeth"

Totally random, but I'll give anybody a great big :) if they can answer what movie that is from.

Hint: It has to do with a coming holiday and has a psychiatrist in it. And, it happens to be one of my favorite movies...:D

miracle on 34th st!!

im totally saying that the next time i get asked my age. if it was good enough for kris kringle its good enough for me :D

your age is on the first page of your CAF?

I'm actually surprised my age hasn't been brought up that much.

I have been TOLD by 90%+ of my interviewers that at least one of my parents is a doctor (which is true), followed by them asking me if my parents influenced my decision to go to medical school, and then how they felt about me going into psychiatry.

I realize that the psych stigma question itself is pretty common, but the rest sure as heck feels like racial stereotyping (I'm Indian--dot not feather).