Applicant vs. acceptees overall stat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pine88

Warning:
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the ratio of # of applicants vs. # of acceptees for ALL dental programs (not individual schools)? I remember someone referring to it once, but I forget what it was.

Members don't see this ad.

I really don't know the answer specifically, but I have heard that about 50% of applicants get into a program somewhere that they applied to.

I thought it was more like 16000 applicants and 3000 seats

Members don't see this ad :)
I better there would be over 50000 applicants if you want to count each application sent to each indivicual school as an applicant. You can look on the predents and see that each school and there are 53 or 56 of them received well over 1000 applications. some more like Pacific with ~3000 some less but Id say its still around 16000 actual AADSAS profiles created each

In the most current ADEA Guide book it says:

Total Applicants: 9,433
Total Enrollees: 4,457

47% of applicants enroll.

note that this is for '04-'05. The total applicants are probably higher by now, but the enrollees has probably stayed the same.

Hmmm, those odds aren't too bad actually.

I read earlier today in some thread that in 03 it was like 53% of applicants were accepted. So if Im reading it right it went from 53% to 47% to 41% and probably 3X% acceptance rate within 3-4 years?? :eek: :eek:

Also remember that a couple new schools are in the works. Arizona is opening a second school soon, and I think there is another one...though I can't be sure. Also, ASDOH added about 30 new seats to it's 2007 class enrollment. So applicants is increasing, but there will be a few more seats in coming years as well.

Based on the number of applications and the number of enrollees in the 2006-2007 Official Guide to Dental Schools, I figured out this much:

This is an estimate as it is based on data from two different years but is better than no info...

Entering class of 2004-2005 had 9433 applicants and 4612 enrolled.

74062 applications were filled out for the entering class of 2005-2006.

Based on these two numbers we can approximate an average of 8 schools applied to with an acceptance rate of 47% overall. Pretty competetive!

Most schools that are coming and visiting are estimating they will be 15,000 applicants this year. Marquette said they are only 200 shy of what they had total last year, they are expecting 3500 this year....CRAZY!!!!!!!

good info. for 2006, it's 10,666. for 2007, i'm going to guess 11,984 for about the same number of seats.

http://www.naahp.org/PDFs/HealthProfPDFs/ADEA.pdf#search="number of dat takers"
[FONT=Arial,Bold]

A few highlighted points...

• Minority enrollment at U.S. dental institutions has risen to 12%.
  • 10.7% of all full-time dental faculty are underrepresented minorities
  • 75 underrepresented minorities are in administrative positions in dental institutions: 5 deans, 22 associate or assistant deans, 32 department chairs, 16 program directors
  • There are 56 diversity administrators in U.S. dental schools.
  • AADSAS 2006 experienced a 14% increase in applications; the AADSAS applicant pool has increased 67% increase since 2001. The number of DAT test-takers continues to rise, indicating that the applicant pool will likely continue to increase.
  • The 2006 applicant pool was 45% women and 55% men.
  • The average age of AADSAS 2006 applicants was 25.5 years.
  • 10,666 Applicants to AADSAS in 2006.
  • The average overall GPA of 2006 applicants was 3.26; the average overall science GPA of 2006 applicants was 3.14.

Most schools that are coming and visiting are estimating they will be 15,000 applicants this year. Marquette said they are only 200 shy of what they had total last year, they are expecting 3500 this year....CRAZY!!!!!!!

So the acceptance rate overall could be around 33% or so! Wow!