Application advice: red flag or not ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemontilt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a international medical student, finished my fifth year of six-year studies. The last year of the medical school before graduation is the internship here in Turkey and next week I am starting to my internship year. I am planning to take Step 1 next month and I would feel much more confident if I take a next month off and study at home. This means I will fail a month because of not attending and have a "failed" in my transcription. Do you think it will raise a big red flag or it will hardly effect my application ? I mean it is hard enough already being a foreign IMG applying for EM, I don't want to make it harder. But a month off would give me chance to score higher in the test. Any input is appreciated.

ps: did you notice that EM forum ALWAYS has the highest number of online members among the resident forums. Cool,huh ? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I am a international medical student, finished my fifth year of six-year studies. The last year of the medical school before graduation is the internship here in Turkey and next week I am starting to my internship year. I am planning to take Step 1 next month and I would feel much more confident if I take a next month off and study at home. This means I will fail a month because of not attending and have a "failed" in my transcription. Do you think it will raise a big red flag or it will hardly effect my application ? I mean it is hard enough already being a foreign IMG applying for EM, I don't want to make it harder. But a month off would give me chance to score higher in the test. Any input is appreciated.

ps: did you notice that EM forum ALWAYS has the highest number of online members among the resident forums. Cool,huh ? :laugh:

You're chances of matching into EM in the US from Turkey is minimal. Your chances of matching in EM in the US from Turkey with a failed rotation is zero. Have you looked into any other countries?

You're chances of matching into EM in the US from Turkey is minimal. Your chances of matching in EM in the US from Turkey with a failed rotation is zero. Have you looked into any other countries?

Germany is an option. The application process is easier but I'll have to work on my German.. a lot. Besides it's not something I want deeply. I'll hope the best with a SLOR from a rotation in US and hopefully-high scores. :(

Members don't see this ad :)

You are fighting an uphill battle here. You'll need an impeccable record (no failed courses), fantastic English and stellar Step I scores (and probably step II scores) to get interviews. Even with a few interviews, you've still got a tough gig. Keep your fingers crossed and apply to at least 50 programs that you don't find in the lists generated on here of "the best programs." In fact, I'd probably apply to all the programs if I were in your shoes.

You are fighting an uphill battle here. You'll need an impeccable record (no failed courses), fantastic English and stellar Step I scores (and probably step II scores) to get interviews. Even with a few interviews, you've still got a tough gig. Keep your fingers crossed and apply to at least 50 programs that you don't find in the lists generated on here of "the best programs." In fact, I'd probably apply to all the programs if I were in your shoes.

Only 14 foreign IMG matched in 2011. So know that it is tough, the statistics, my chances... But would regret not trying it.
I don't think I'll apply to every single program out there but, 50-60 seem apprpopiate. Thanks for your advice.

Only 14 foreign IMG matched in 2011. So know that it is tough, the statistics, my chances... But would regret not trying it.
I don't think I'll apply to every single program out there but, 50-60 seem apprpopiate. Thanks for your advice.

I am an FMG with no red flags on my application and several rotations in the US (with great SLORs). I applied to over 100 programs. I matched, but it wasn't like I was turning down interviews right and left. 50-60 programs is probably too few unless you are an FMG-superstar. Apply to 100 or so. It would not be unreasonable to apply to all the programs.

I am an FMG with no red flags on my application and several rotations in the US (with great SLORs). I applied to over 100 programs. I matched, but it wasn't like I was turning down interviews right and left. 50-60 programs is probably too few unless you are an FMG-superstar. Apply to 100 or so. It would not be unreasonable to apply to all the programs.

OK, all programs it is then. I am no superstar but not bad either. Hope I will succeed just like you gro2001. Thank you for your advice, it is really appreciated.