Options to leave (or reduce) clinical EM without doing fellowship or residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brigade4Radiant

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figure I would start a thread about how to leave the field of Emergency

I see some fellowships however after doing some research Pain is a competitive fellowship and there is also the issue of the match and relocating

So I'm going to throw some ideas out there.

Doing Direct Urgent Care/medical spa/weight loss clinic

Pros
Kinda like direct primary care but only see acute or urgent complaints
No residency
Don't take insurance
Can interact with patient without circadian disruption

Cons
Not trained in primary care but you can learn on the job
May be tough to initially start up the practice

Doing Pharmacy/Admin pathway

Pros
Can make a good amount of money

Cons
May depend on connections

Real estate/investing/crpto

Pros:
Can make a lot of money as a passive investment

Cons:
Can be very risky and require a very large start up cost

Members don't see this ad.

Whatever you do, I suggest you make a decision sooner rather than later. We are still in the "early adopter" phase of EM physicians bailing out into a variety of other venues or entrepreneurial endeavors. I fully anticipate within a 5-year time frame that the market for these alternative careers is going to become HYPER competitive. Already I'm hearing EM PGY1s and 2s talking SERIOUSLY about bail-out plans, and fellowships (such as pain, CCM, and palliative).

I think I posted in one of Birdstrike's pain threads that it's going to get so stupidly competitive for these fellowships (especially pain), so act now!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Whatever you do, I suggest you make a decision sooner rather than later. We are still in the "early adopter" phase of EM physicians bailing out into a variety of other venues or entrepreneurial endeavors. I fully anticipate within a 5-year time frame that the market for these alternative careers is going to become HYPER competitive. Already I'm hearing EM PGY1s and 2s talking SERIOUSLY about bail-out plans, and fellowships (such as pain, CCM, and palliative).

I think I posted in one of Birdstrike's pain threads that it's going to get so stupidly competitive for these fellowships (especially pain), so act now!

When PGY 1-2s are formulating bail-out plans, it speaks volumes about how toxic EM has become. Someone direct that @IM.MD guy hellbent on doing an EM residency (in case that didn't work) to this post.

Reactions: 3 users
When PGY 1-2s are formulating bail-out plans, it speaks volumes about how toxic EM has become. Someone direct that @IM.MD guy hellbent on doing an EM residency (in case that didn't work) to this post.
"Everything is perfect" -ACEP

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I often tell family and friends that a career as an EP is similar to that of an NFL player. The average NFL player's career is 3-4 years. Most aren't playing for over 20 years like Tom Brady. Most EPs last 10-15 years. Some start looking for the exit sooner, and some linger on part time for a little longer. Those that last full time 20-40 years as an EP are the exception. They are often in academics where the workload is less intense, but the compensation also reflects that necessitating an extended career.

I followup that analogy by discussing why I save and invest aggressively for once my 'playing' days are over. I don't want to end up like that player that made millions, but blew it all on material objects while I was young without setting myself up for my future post 'retirement.'

Once NFL players and EPs finish their primary careers, they aren't left with much that easily translates into a post-career future. You are highly trained at what you do, but aren't trained for other equally highly trained fields. You can't jump into the NBA or MLB once you are done in the NFL. You can't easily switch medical specialities becoming a surgeon, or flip fields entirely into something else like law or finance after spending years as an EP.

The two traits that we and NFL players both have in common are 1) the ability to work hard to get to where we did and 2) career earnings that we can savvily utilize if previously saved and invested well. I think others have spoken well regarding various opportunities, but it is still the wild west for EPs who are leaving the pit. There really isn't a playbook. The first step though is to financially prepare for when no team is willing to sign you, or you decide that it's not worth a devalued $120/hour to put your body through the daily grind anymore.

You shouldn't have to do anything other than sit on a beach, kick up your feet and enjoy a cocktail once you are done - assuming that you financially prepared. You'll have options though if you want to jump into something else and are willing to put in that same hard work that set you up well in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users