Options to leave (or reduce) clinical EM without doing fellowship or residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Brigade4Radiant

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I figure I would start a thread about how to leave the field of Emergency

I see some fellowships however after doing some research Pain is a competitive fellowship and there is also the issue of the match and relocating

So I'm going to throw some ideas out there.

Doing Direct Urgent Care/medical spa/weight loss clinic

Pros
Kinda like direct primary care but only see acute or urgent complaints
No residency
Don't take insurance
Can interact with patient without circadian disruption

Cons
Not trained in primary care but you can learn on the job
May be tough to initially start up the practice

Doing Pharmacy/Admin pathway

Pros
Can make a good amount of money

Cons
May depend on connections

Real estate/investing/crpto

Pros:
Can make a lot of money as a passive investment

Cons:
Can be very risky and require a very large start up cost
 
Whatever you do, I suggest you make a decision sooner rather than later. We are still in the "early adopter" phase of EM physicians bailing out into a variety of other venues or entrepreneurial endeavors. I fully anticipate within a 5-year time frame that the market for these alternative careers is going to become HYPER competitive. Already I'm hearing EM PGY1s and 2s talking SERIOUSLY about bail-out plans, and fellowships (such as pain, CCM, and palliative).

I think I posted in one of Birdstrike's pain threads that it's going to get so stupidly competitive for these fellowships (especially pain), so act now!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Whatever you do, I suggest you make a decision sooner rather than later. We are still in the "early adopter" phase of EM physicians bailing out into a variety of other venues or entrepreneurial endeavors. I fully anticipate within a 5-year time frame that the market for these alternative careers is going to become HYPER competitive. Already I'm hearing EM PGY1s and 2s talking SERIOUSLY about bail-out plans, and fellowships (such as pain, CCM, and palliative).

I think I posted in one of Birdstrike's pain threads that it's going to get so stupidly competitive for these fellowships (especially pain), so act now!

When PGY 1-2s are formulating bail-out plans, it speaks volumes about how toxic EM has become. Someone direct that @IM.MD guy hellbent on doing an EM residency (in case that didn't work) to this post.