Application advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpasport

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Duke '07, Home state: NC
cGPA: 3.66 scienceGPA: 3.28 (Last 5 semesters cGPA was 3.9)
MCAT (11 P 10 V 15 B) 36S
Major: Theater Minor: Spanish and Chem
Clinical: 80 hours (Duke Hospital) Shadow: 50 hours (ortho, cardio)
Community Service: 500 + hours (Appalachian Service Project, local school, Duke dining service)
Research: 250 hours (1 publication upcoming)
3 non-science essays published
EC'S: 4 years Rugby, Founding Father of Fraternity Chapter, >40 plays/operas/dance concerts/voice recitals, 9 times dean's list with highest distinction; 3 time First year advisory Counselor for incoming class; was leader for incoming freshman class in Project Wild-- 2 week backpacking trip through Appalachian Mountains; all-state high school athlete; Highly Proficient Spanish
Study Abroad: Costa Rica, England, Madrid
Gap Years: I've spent the two years since I graduated acting professionally (and, whilst not acting, teaching MCAT prep for Kaplan). I've worked in some great roles for some pretty major theater companies post-graduation. A musical I was cast in last summer is planning on (economy willing) making the transition (cast intact) to Broadway this upcoming Winter.

I want to know how realistic and prudent the list I have assembled appears. Do I have a nice collection of hopeful, reasonable and likely schools? I'd love to have this number firmly in the 15-22 range.

Harvard ?
Cornell
Duke
Baylor
Northwestern
University of California at San Francisco
U of Chicago
Southwestern at Dallas
Vanderbilt
Yeshiva (or Mount Sinai or NYU)
UNC
Wake
Georgetown
Miami
Ohio State
Boston U
University of Colorado at Denver
New York Medical College
SUNY Downstate
Drexel (or Temple or Jefferson Medical)
UIC (or Rush or Rosalind Franklin or Loyola)
San Antonio
Galveston
ECU
George Washington

Note: When colleges appear in parenthesis with the word "or" in front of them, it signifies that I am debating between all of the institutions on that given line. But I would likely only apply to one out of the group.

Addendum:
I have an interest in governmental health policy. I could easily foresee my engagement in this arena increasing as I age. Don't mistake me. I certainly want to practice medicine for a while. But governmental policy in health has always been a fascination of mine. Now, to the question: Are these interests merit enough to pursue a joint degree? If so, which is more conducive to becoming part of the proverbial policy making machine, an MPH-MD or and MBA-MD. I've heard adroit arguments for both sides, so I thought I would pose the question in a larger forum.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
your science GPA is going to be an issue at some of the top tier schools on your list. Many of them have sGPA averages 0.5-0.6 above yours and cGPA 0.2 above yours.

Had some pretty major family stuff going on first semester of my Soph year, was taking 24 credit hours, and was driving home every weekend to try to help out family. Ended up making two C's that semester in Genetics and Orgo II. After that my grades were pretty much straight A's. I hoped that that explanation, the rise in my grades after that semester, and my strong MCAT might ameliorate my scienceGPA situation--but your point is taken. Should I apply to fewer top-tier? Do I have enough middle and lower tier?

Members don't see this ad :)
Had some pretty major family stuff going on first semester of my Soph year, was taking 24 credit hours, and was driving home every weekend to try to help out family. Ended up making two C's that semester in Genetics and Orgo II. After that my grades were pretty much straight A's. I hoped that that explanation, the rise in my grades after that semester, and my strong MCAT might ameliorate my scienceGPA situation--but your point is taken. Should I apply to fewer top-tier? Do I have enough middle and lower tier?

I would apply to about 10-12 mid tier, 5-6 top tier, and 5-6 lower tier if you're looking at ~20-25 applications.

What would you say I have on there right now? 7 top tier, 11 middle tier, 7 lower tier? Which schools are good fits/bad fits? Any I should leave off or consider adding? What about those instances where I am considering a few schools on one line? Can you be any more specific as per my list?

Last edited:
Oh sorry, I just saw that you had that in a separate catagory. Still, its not much. You still have time and I think if you improve on that a bit your chances would be better.

Does anyone have any input about my actual list? Schools I should consider adding? Schools that I should take off?

Thanks for the input on the clinical. And by clinical, you do mean face to face time with patients as apposed to time shadowing doctors, yes?

The first 7 schools on your list are serious reaches. I'd consider taking off some of them. I'd definitely apply to every school in NC, and then consider schools like Emory. I believe you can apply to every school in TX (except Baylor) at once through the TMDSAS so that might be a good approach.

consider both Sinai and Albert Einstein over NYU. NYU loves its high GPAs, but the other 2 (esp mssm) loves the higher mcat.

at sinai, a lot of focus is on the patient population at spanish harlem. Of course, AECOM is located in the Bronx. Hopefully, your spanish will be to your benefit there. they are both wonderful schools that I think you have a great shot at.

So if I dropped the first seven down to something that looked like:

Cornell
Duke
Northwestern or U of Chicago
University of California at San Fran

and I added Emory...

I still have a pretty huge list. Any advice as to which others I should cut/consider adding?

Also, to how many schools should someone with my stats apply?

So if I dropped the first seven down to something that looked like:

Cornell
Duke
Northwestern or U of Chicago
University of California at San Fran

and I added Emory...

I still have a pretty huge list. Any advice as to which others I should cut/consider adding?

Why UCSF? If you aren't a CA resident, don't have a strong interest (backed up by lots of experience) with working with the underserved, or a strong interest in infectious disease, I'm not sure you'll be very competitive there.

Your cGPA and MCAT are very good. The negatives are that you don't have much research, low BCPM GPA and minimal clinical experience. I see your niche as the mid-selectivity schools. I would take out any of "top twenty" on your list. I'd get in more clinical experience quickly, before June. And I'd suggest you include UIllinois as the Urbana/Champaign campus has a masters in Health Policy and Administration (I'm sure there's others, I just happen to know someone who did this program). I'd apply to 20-25 schools.

Positives: unique background, fluent Spanish, lots of travel, strong in a sport, good leadership. I love the community service and published essays.

Last edited:
UIC (or Rush or Rosalind Franklin or Loyola)

Note: When colleges appear in parenthesis with the word "or" in front of them, it signifies that I am debating between all of the institutions on that given line. But I would likely only apply to one out of the group.

FWIW, Loyola accepts way more OOS than Rush (not sure about RF). In fact, I think Loyola is about 50/50, whereas Rush is more like 75/25. So I'd probably stick with UofI and Loyola from that group. Good luck.

FWIW, Loyola accepts way more OOS than Rush (not sure about RF). In fact, I think Loyola is about 50/50, whereas Rush is more like 75/25. So I'd probably stick with UofI and Loyola from that group. Good luck.

That's about right-- 45% of the students in the entering class of 2008 at Loyola were Illinois residents. I don't have the statistic for Rush, but I also believe it is about 75/25 (if I'm not mistaken, even though they are private, they get funding from the state of Illinois). I think Rosalind Franklin admits more OOS than Loyola and Rush, but I haven't heard much about their program. People at Loyola are very happy, and I've been told the same is true of students at Rush. (To me, student/faculty happiness was really important!)

Personally I'm biased towards Loyola since I'm going there :). However, they do look very favorably upon community service, since it's a Jesuit intitution, so your background would really help out if you do apply. The downside is it's hard to interview at Loyola--they interview about 5% of applicants or so. But they accept about half of those who interview.

Good luck!

Getting closer. Would like to knock off 5 more schools.

Southwestern at Dallas
Texas at Galveston
Texas at houston
Texas Tech at Lubbuck
texas tech at el paso
Texas A & M
Texas at San Antonio
Duke (Dream)
Northwestern (Dream)
Cornell (Dream)
Vanderbilt (Reach)
Emory (Reach)
Mount Sinai
Ohio State
UNC
Yeshiva
Boston
Wake
Georgetown
Temple
SUNY-Downstate (Few OOS)
Miami (Few OOS)
Rush (Few OOS)
Drexel University
Jefferson Medical (Perhaps pick Drexel OR Jefferson)
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
George Washington
ECU
Tulane

your science GPA is going to be an issue at some of the top tier schools on your list. Many of them have sGPA averages 0.5-0.6 above yours and cGPA 0.2 above yours.

With med schools, its going to be either/or when it comes to science GPA and MCAT. With a great MCAT score like that 36S, dont stress about the GPA, you have solid stats to be considered for many of these schools on here. and the fact that your GPA was much improved over your last 5 semesters does more than enough to explain it. Schools like to see improvement, it shows character.

Getting closer. Would like to knock off 5 more schools.

Southwestern at Dallas
Texas at Galveston
Texas at houston
Texas Tech at Lubbuck
texas tech at el paso
Texas A & M
Texas at San Antonio
Duke (Dream)
Northwestern (Dream)
Cornell (Dream)
Vanderbilt (Reach)
Emory (Reach)
Mount Sinai
Ohio State
UNC
Yeshiva
Boston
Wake
Georgetown
Temple
SUNY-Downstate (Few OOS)
Miami (Few OOS)
Rush (Few OOS)
Drexel University
Jefferson Medical (Perhaps pick Drexel OR Jefferson)
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
George Washington
ECU
Tulane

Why are you so interested of going to Texas?

I'd apply to Jefferson over Drexel...