This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sleepycow

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I am a recent graduate and have been debating between applying to an SMP or just submitting my medical school application.

My undergraduate GPA was 3.42 with an upwards trend.
My MCAT just came back as a 503.

I know that’s not competitive for MD (and I prefer MD over DO), but I was wondering if I should still try to submit for MD?

Also, I am aiming to go to EVMS.
 
OP: Right now, top brand MD is not open, but DO is. Do you want to be a doctor, or do you just want the badge? You haven't made a strong argument for why it is your purpose to be a physician.

Why do you think you need an SMP? We don't have your transcript to know for sure, but a 3.4 sGPA isn't out of reach for some in-state MD programs (where is your state of residence?). Maybe if you are trying to hook up with an articulation/linkage seat at a desired MD program, that may be worth considering, but without your academic record, it's hard to give you strong advice.

You have not disclosed your hours for clinical, community service, leadership, research, or tutoring/teaching. Where are you here? What do your prehealth advisors say? Have you visited EVMS and talked with admissions professionals and students before applying?
 
Before deciding on an SMP, it may help to identify whether the main gap is academic readiness or overall application strength, since an SMP can strengthen one area but usually works best alongside attention to MCAT performance, meaningful clinical/service experiences, and a clear reason for pursuing medicine.
 
OP: Right now, top brand MD is not open, but DO is. Do you want to be a doctor, or do you just want the badge? You haven't made a strong argument for why it is your purpose to be a physician.

Why do you think you need an SMP? We don't have your transcript to know for sure, but a 3.4 sGPA isn't out of reach for some in-state MD programs (where is your state of residence?). Maybe if you are trying to hook up with an articulation/linkage seat at a desired MD program, that may be worth considering, but without your academic record, it's hard to give you strong advice.

You have not disclosed your hours for clinical, community service, leadership, research, or tutoring/teaching. Where are you here? What do your prehealth advisors say? Have you visited EVMS and talked with admissions professionals and students before applying?
Thank you for responding! Sorry, let me try to give a better picture of my application.

•I am a Virginia resident.
•I am currently working as a medical scribe in the ED and have ~350 hrs done so far. I am expecting closer to 900 hrs this time next year.
•Non-clinical volunteering: ~65 hrs
(Roc Solid, kitten rescue, AFSP, Relay for Life and will be doing more hours now that I’ve graduated)
•Apart of 2 academic honor societies: Nu Rho Psi and Psi Chi
•Two undergraduate research labs: one in psychology and neuroscience (x2 poster presentations for psych—one of which I was the lead— and x1 poster presentation for neuro)
•music director for a Capella group on campus (240+ hrs — major leadership role, did an international competition)

I have been considering the SMP because I know my GPA is not that competitive overall and I want to prove I can do well in medical classes. I can go back and grab specifics, but from sophomore spring to senior spring, I received Dean’s list every semester. (3.5+)

I actually started on the pre-med track late into my undergraduate because I initially thought I wanted to pursue research. Although I love research, I want to pursue more direct care.

Let me know if I missed anything you need!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Even with a 3.7+ in an SMP, that won't get you into an MD. A successful SMP may get you into DO.

You almost certainly need an MCAT retake and a successful SMP in order to put MD on the table
My worst section on the MCAT is C/P…I studied for months with no improvement. Any suggestions on studying for that section before a retake?