Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Application Assistance RE: Study Abroad

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by UseUrHeadFred, Apr 26, 2004.

1. UseUrHeadFred

UseUrHeadFred Oh no! It's a Wumpus!
    5+ Year Member

Hey folks. I could use a little help.

I'm going to study in Germany over the summer (from May 30 through July 27) and am applying for admission this cycle. I took the April MCAT and want to fill out my application as soon as possible (I.E., early June).

My question is, how will I list the study abroad courses on the application? I probably won't get the transcript until well into the Fall semester. Should I list them as "In Progress" even though they will be completed by the time I'm interviewing? I don't want my application to get hung up in the verification process.

If I do leave the summer courses as "In Progress", I'll also have my Fall semester courses listed as "In Progress". So does that mean I'll have TWO semesters listed in that status?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. chopper

chopper Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You get to send your transcripts to AMCAS once, and once only, from each school you have applied. (I'm assuming here that your summer course is through your regular university, maybe a bad assumption). In any case, waiting for you grades from the summer will only hold up your application. I would recommend sending them before you head to your study abroad course. The grades you get aren't going to affect your GPA THAT much. If you need to update your grade with individual schools that you get secondaries from, go ahead and do that after you get back.

4. ChE_Babe

ChE_Babe Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The designation on the AMCAS application is Current/Future, so it is intended to encompass classes both in progress -current- (your summer courses) and you projected next semester courses -future- (Fall), if you can, I would also include Spring courses. If you do this there will be three terms that AMCAS will not verify completely (they'll check off anything on the transcript and label the others as "Not intended for verification"), they will just pass the info on to schools as part of your class information.

The schools may expect an updated transcript during the fall or spring, but even if they don't ask for it, it makes a great excuse for an update letter at different points in the process.

You still need to list your foreign classes as taken at a foreign university and apply for a transcript exception for your foreign transcript, even though they are in progress, because you can't go back and apply for an exception later.

Have an awesome time in Germany...study abroad is one of the best things available to college students and you'll have a blast!