Application Blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tatabox80

Super-Duper Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hiya people,
Just wondering how many of you are experiencing those application blues. I sure am. Still have only had one interview and I was waitlisted there, even after my interviewers told me that I did an excellent job and that they really looked forward to meeting me because of my peronal statement :rolleyes: I know this process is a crap shoot, but I'm starting to think that I'm just a big turd!!! Plus, since my interview I e-mailed the school I was waitlisted at mentioning that it was my number one choice school and so on, and asking what I can do to demonstrate my interest, however, I haven't heard anything. Anyways, just wondering if anyone is having that feeling of turdiness also?:D

-tatabox

Members don't see this ad.

{{{{hug}}}}}

Although I wouldn't want to call myself *that word*, I know what you're going through. Just wanted to say that you're not alone. :(

You are not alone Tatabox...(love the name and avatar). I hate all this waiting. I'm trying to trick myself into forgetting I applied, but since I keep coming on SDN, it's a lost cause. :p Good luck to you and I hope you find some way to cope....I don't know what to do. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
:( i'm feeling a bit turdy myself. have been on one interview, didn't particularly like the school, and still no word. i keep telling myself there is lots of time left (even though to be honest, i think time is starting to run out). although it seems like practically everyone on sdn has been accepted at multiple places, i'm sure there are lurkers and others who haven't been accepted anywhere and some who haven't received interviews. people get in off waitlists and after late interviews all the time. all i can say is we just need to keep ourselves busy and try not to let the waiting get to us :(

you're definetly not alone. i had my one and only interview back at the beginning of september, and still no word on if i'll be accepted/waitlisted/rejected, while folks who interviewed way after me have already been informed. i'm impatient.

siiiiigh. :(

okay...no more moaning and whining.

I had my one interview six weeks ago.. Called today as per their instructions (call us if you haven't heard in six weeks).. Told they're behind, and I probably won't hear anything for another month or two so they can let all the people who interview b/t now and March have a fair chance.. So what was the point of turning in my app early, exactly?:rolleyes:

I am going to my first interview this coming Monday, got put on the "intermediate" pool by Buffalo and rejected by Cornell :( This is the hardest part of the whole application process. Knowing so many people already accepted does not help the situation either. Well, no news is better than bad news! :rolleyes:

I know how you feel. I applied in the Texas schools and nobody knows anything until Febuary 1st. I was fine until about two weeks ago. All of a sudden it hit me that I have three weeks before I know my future. It is hard. They want you to rank your schools January 15th and then they make you wait. At least all the people that apply in Texas don't know anything so we are spared the stress of counting how many spots are left for the rest of us. Just one more week. I guess I will live through it. Time: there is so much of it and yet so little.

I never realize how scary the mailbox can be. Every day I go to my mail shaking, knowing that my rejection letter can be right behind that little door...:scared:

Right now, I am feeling pretty down in the dumps too. I have only had one interview and no word from a lot of schools.

I am scared. Bottom line--scared. No word describes my sentiments better than being scared. I am scared about finding out what my future holds for me and I am scared while waiting for the news, any news. I feel like I am in a catch 22. I want to find out that I got in. But if the decision is otherwise, I hope to remain ignorrant about it for eternity.

I can see why they say Ignorrance is truly bliss. 3 weeks to go before I find out....and I am scared. I don't know where life is going to take me. One interview and not heard back from 10 schools. May God help all of us.

Edit: I am also scared about seeing everybody move on to medical school and having myself be left behind. I will be heart broken if that happens. That, is very scary.

at this point, i wouldn't say i'm scared. i guess b/c i've been out of college for 6 years now and know life goes on and know i'm fine living on my own etc... it's more like i will be very depressed if i don't get in. i'm quitting my job in may no matter how this process is going and travelling for a couple of months. the thought of having to get a job in a career that i've already decided i don't like if i don't get into med school is VERY depressing :( hmph! ok... enough feeling sorry for myself :)

Lola I understand how you feel, but it is not the end of the world if we don't get into medical schools. There are plenty of other options out there. And plus, at this point of the game, there's nothing much we can do anymore.

Best wishes to everyone! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Fellow scared turd here. The funny thing is that if you asked me a couple years ago I would've said, "no way, I'll never be one of those 'not accepted the first time' kids." For a while I worried and checked the mailbox with anticipation every day, but now I'm in the mindset of doing something about it. Now I'm resolved to study for the MCATs again and give it a better shot next year. Who knows if that magic chance will come between now and August, but if it doesn't at least I'll be well on my way to applying again.

yea...i am in the boat with you all...urgh.

i am helping myself by focussing on my 2 month bike trip across the country this june/july and my plan b - applying to mph programs next fall for spring 2004...

i am slowly getting over the "pride issue" of not getting accepted and moving on to the "deal-with-it" stage...

preparations and tough love work for me.

i turned in my apps late. besides 2 rejections, i have not heard from schools. i have no interviews as of today, 1/23. one of my greatest fear is to have gone through this process without being invited for an interview at least. you all have interviewed, you have gotten closer. i comfort myself by thinking that friends and aquaintances didn't get interviewed until april/may and although having been waitlisted, they're in med schools right now. it's too early to despair.

--SDN lurker

Never fear moviefreak, no interview for me either and I definitely feel your pain. That's what SDN is for - to find out that there really are other people in the same boat, sinking and wet though it may be:)

i'm in the same boat too!!:) A few Rejections and no interviews

Here's what has cheered me up...
1. Reading posts on SDN about how there are many reapplicants that do get in later

2. My upcoming vacation to the south Pacific in 1 month...85 degrees and 90% humidity:clap: vs. Crappy frigid sub-zero wind chill in ohio

3. Looking forward to relocating to Chicago to pursue a masters, haven't been accepted yet, but am turning in my app soon...

4. Spending April-Aug studying for the MCAT, aiming for a 35 (mostly to offset my crappy uGPA).

5. Volunteering at a children's rehab center and playing with very sick kids at the cancer center (help them cope and all that)

I don't know...I guess what's cheered me up are all the things I'll be able to do during the next year, things I couldn't have done if I was going to start med school this fall. (I'm going to reapply for the entering class of 2005). I'll have to admit though...I was very depressed a few weeks ago at the prospect of not going to med school this year and having to figure out what I was going to do. But now that I've come to terms (like being close to thirty when I start med school)...it's not that bad. I just think how I can reapply as a much stronger applicant in a few years.

Anyway...my two cents
It'll get better...

Nina :)

Me too! These app blues have thrown me out of the SDN loop since the holidays (plus all the nasty personalities showing up on SDN lately). Only 2 interviews so far--feeling so handicapped b/c of the aug mcat. Well, at least it won't be a factor anymore if i have to reapply.

Nice to have company, anyhow. I didn't think by this time, there'd be this many responses to this thread since there have been so many acceptances.

---> gipper, which group are you biking with & where? sounds fantastic! I did SF Bike-Aid '93 cross-country & had one of the best summers. True what you said @ the pain due to pride, esp. when acquaintances keep asking, "Have you heard anything?" I'm starting to get pissed off @ my b/f for telling so many peeps i'm applying. It's so much PRESSURE! :(

I take comfort in knowing that all of this waiting and not knowing and true effort will make the first acceptance letter that much more sweet when it finally does arrive.. whether it's this year or the next.

I know ya' all destined to be great
I can see that
It's part of your trait
To flock with the best
Flying over the rest
Believe me when I say
What you're going through
Is just a slight delay
Things will be okay, you'll see
Just hang in there
And don't let your strength sway
You are an sdn'er after all,
And from all the threads that I've read
It's not like you to ever fall
From me to you, I wish the best
And every night before I rest
I say a lil prayer for y'all
You'll go to med school,
You'll go this fall

If things don't workout
Listen here
Remember your past, and all
those times you thought
you wouldn't last?
But you did make it through
And now you're standing here
With a heart stronger than glass.
Now's a challenge
Awaiting your duel.
You are you...your dreams your goals
Can all be done...But it's all up to you
To believe that no matter what
You'll win the crown jewel;)

I too am going thru app blues. I just had about the worst week of my life. I heard from every school that I interviewed at this week, got waitlisted at my top choice (the one I was most confident at) Wednesday, got rejected yesterday, and got waitlisted yet again today. Getting ready to bust out the Kaplan MCAT book and maybe apply to some DO schools next year. On top of that I got into a huge fight with my parents on Tuesday. Some say that med schools admits are a crapshoot, well, I say they are just crap.

It's ok Tata! You'll go to med school! Who knows for sure how or when... but I really believe that you're going to be a doctor!! and a GOOD doctor too! ;)

And you too Tweetie! and... well, I don't really know anything about the rest of you, but... good luck to you all.

And for those of you on waitlists... most med schools take a big chunk of thier class off of waitlists!

Oh, and... just fyi... My mom is a doctor who had to apply twice! and she's now one of the best doctors in the state (if I don't say so myself ;) )

don't worry tata! Feeling pretty turdy too. One interview and haven't heard a peep from all the others. When do you all think is a good time to dust off the old MCAT books and start studying again? Yuck... the thought of it makes me shudder!!!! :(

I totally feel everyone's pain, no interviews yet my way. The one state schl I was really hoping on that most people with my low stats have a shot at, has me on hold for an interview. WHile its likely that I will get one, it might be late, and I could be waitlisted. :( Well then again, they do take a large chunk off their waitlist, but last thing I want to do is have to wait till May-July to get in somewhere :(

I sent secondaries to 11 schls, but realistically only have ok shot at 3. I've taken the MCAt too many times, but if all else fails, it'll be August again, at least i'll be finishin my thesis, and can find a great job in epidemiology. Thats still not my dream, and I know I can't be happy doing that, as nice as it is.

One thing this whole med schl process has taught me is patience, my whole story since my senior yr in 2001 has been one heck of a saga, been through it all. i know its only a matter of time, and my advice to us all is hope for the best, but dont let it consume you, just pick urself back up, dust up, and keep striding on!!!
:)

Its all my parents' fault, if they had donated like say a $100,000-$1mil at some schl, I would be in now!!!!!!!!!!!!:oops:

Originally posted by Sami335
don't worry tata! Feeling pretty turdy too. One interview and haven't heard a peep from all the others. When do you all think is a good time to dust off the old MCAT books and start studying again? Yuck... the thought of it makes me shudder!!!! :(

I'm not sure, I've been thinking the same thing lately. My mcats were not spectacular, but they were good enough for many of my state schools. I think I'm just going to wait until mid february to make a decision and find out if I get any more interviews. I was hoping I wasn't going to have to start planning for next year's application cycle, but I'm thinking that might be the case. I'm sure many of you think this too, but I wish someone could tell me what was wrong with me so I could fix it! However, I still believe that if being a doctor is what is in your heart, you will become one. :D :D :D :D Big smiles and hugs for all my turdy feeling people out there!

All u that are waitlisted, there is a good chance u will get in. I know some current med students that found out in may and june....
I am lookin into postbac/ms programs link finsh and duquesne(any info on this) and preparin for the dreaded mcat again... anyone here taken it more than three times:clap: