Quantcast

Application Cycle Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sizillyd

Go Pack
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hey SDN family, I was recently interviewed and subsequently rejected by a medical school. This prompted me to think about retaking the MCAT. Stats: s3.09 c3.15 26 (8/8/10).

Furthermore, I was notified by a few schools that I have been put on a pre-interview hold at 3 schools and they "invited me to retake the MCAT." So, I am most likely going to retake but my question is: Should I email them and notify them of my decision to retake? Or should I retake in the shadows and hope they are still planning to throw a decision my way without a new MCAT.

the13fools

Reaction score
If they explicitly told you to try again I think that it would be in your favor to tell them that you will, rather than doing it in the background.

feeling-dizzy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
it is always good idea to do what the school tell u to do. I scored a 25 mCAt and the shool told me to redo, and i did

feeling-dizzy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Plus your GPA is on the lower end; I mean if the GPA > 3.6; then 26 MCAT score would be ok.

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Them "inviting you to retake the MCAT" could very well be a generic thing they send to anyone on pre-interview hold. To give you an idea, when I applied, DO schools that had me on pre-interview hold invited me to consider retaking the MCAT, and I had a mid-30s MCAT score. Others said something general like to consider retaking the MCAT and/or doing a post-bac/SMP (the latter did apply to me).

That said, with a 26, you're not in terrible shape. Your real weak spot is the GPA. If you can bring up your GPA to 3.3/3.4 with course retakes, you'd be in a much better position. Now obviously doing well on a retake (28+) will also improve your chances, but really you're only a little below the DO matriculant MCAT average (with a well balanced score and good bio subsection), but more than a standard deviation below the DO matriculant GPA averages. That's what you should be focusing on.

Reactions: 1 user