Application Cycle Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sizillyd

Go Pack
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN family, I was recently interviewed and subsequently rejected by a medical school. This prompted me to think about retaking the MCAT. Stats: s3.09 c3.15 26 (8/8/10).

Furthermore, I was notified by a few schools that I have been put on a pre-interview hold at 3 schools and they "invited me to retake the MCAT." So, I am most likely going to retake but my question is: Should I email them and notify them of my decision to retake? Or should I retake in the shadows and hope they are still planning to throw a decision my way without a new MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

If they explicitly told you to try again I think that it would be in your favor to tell them that you will, rather than doing it in the background.

it is always good idea to do what the school tell u to do. I scored a 25 mCAt and the shool told me to redo, and i did

Members don't see this ad :)
Plus your GPA is on the lower end; I mean if the GPA > 3.6; then 26 MCAT score would be ok.

Them "inviting you to retake the MCAT" could very well be a generic thing they send to anyone on pre-interview hold. To give you an idea, when I applied, DO schools that had me on pre-interview hold invited me to consider retaking the MCAT, and I had a mid-30s MCAT score. Others said something general like to consider retaking the MCAT and/or doing a post-bac/SMP (the latter did apply to me).

That said, with a 26, you're not in terrible shape. Your real weak spot is the GPA. If you can bring up your GPA to 3.3/3.4 with course retakes, you'd be in a much better position. Now obviously doing well on a retake (28+) will also improve your chances, but really you're only a little below the DO matriculant MCAT average (with a well balanced score and good bio subsection), but more than a standard deviation below the DO matriculant GPA averages. That's what you should be focusing on.

Reactions: 1 user