Application deadlines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the_fella

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started my ACOMAS application, and noticed that I couldn't apply to some because their deadline has already passed. Some others have deadlines next month. Why do they have deadlines so soon? I'll be starting my fee waiver tomorrow (when I have my tax return). That doesn't give us enough time to apply. Am I missing something here?

Members don't see this ad.

You are very late! Especially if you have not submitted your primary application. Best thing you can do at this point is to wait until next cycle opens in June and apply early. If you have the money to blow on applications and good stats, you can still apply this cycle and test the waters. There are a few schools whose cycles don't end until July. Just realize that you are putting yourself at a significant disadvantage by applying this late. Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user
It's wayy too late to be applying right now.

You would be giving those schools a nice donation.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just started my ACOMAS application, and noticed that I couldn't apply to some because their deadline has already passed. Some others have deadlines next month. Why do they have deadlines so soon? I'll be starting my fee waiver tomorrow (when I have my tax return). That doesn't give us enough time to apply. Am I missing something here?

I'm not sure about the policies and deadlines for fee waivers, but if I'm not mistaken, are you applying for matriculation in 2016-2017? If you are, then you're applying too early. If you're applying for matriculation in 2015, then just stop now. You're way too late because the application cycle starts during the summer.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh. No. I was intending to apply for the upcoming application cycle. When does that open? I'm glad I'm ridiculously early and not late. Haha. I think part of the confusion is that AMCAS isn't open yet (or wasn't last I looked). I am currently studying to retake the MCAT, btw.

Reactions: 2 users
Yea the application opens in May (to fill it out) and you can submit it like June 5th or something. I believe you can do the AACOMAS fee waiver in April. If you do it before then then they will count it towards this current cycle. I think I might have even waited until the beginning of May because when I emailed them about it, they were not giving good answers. I think so long as you do it some time within a couple weeks before submitting then you are good to go.

***Side note, make sure you 100% tell the schools that you are applying to that you have the waiver BEFORE sending back your secondary to them. I lost like $800 total because I naturally sent my secondaries back super fast and then when I asked about reimbursement they told me I had to tell them before hand. Each school does it differently so you have to contact each one individually as you receive secondaries. Just thought I should add that since no one had explained it to me. But for your primary app, so long as AACOMAS has given you the thumbs up on your waiver then they will automatically take off the price of the 3 schools or whatever it is, you dont have to do anything special with it.

Please feel free to personal message me any time over these next few months if you have any questions or concerns, I am happy to help out.

Reactions: 1 users
\
Yea the application opens in May (to fill it out) and you can submit it like June 5th or something. I believe you can do the AACOMAS fee waiver in April. If you do it before then then they will count it towards this current cycle. I think I might have even waited until the beginning of May because when I emailed them about it, they were not giving good answers. I think so long as you do it some time within a couple weeks before submitting then you are good to go.

***Side note, make sure you 100% tell the schools that you are applying to that you have the waiver BEFORE sending back your secondary to them. I lost like $800 total because I naturally sent my secondaries back super fast and then when I asked about reimbursement they told me I had to tell them before hand. Each school does it differently so you have to contact each one individually as you receive secondaries. Just thought I should add that since no one had explained it to me. But for your primary app, so long as AACOMAS has given you the thumbs up on your waiver then they will automatically take off the price of the 3 schools or whatever it is, you dont have to do anything special with it.

Please feel free to personal message me any time over these next few months if you have any questions or concerns, I am happy to help out.

Wow. Thank you so much for your advice. it's really helpful, believe it or not. Haha. How do you tell the schools about your fee waiver? Just email them? And yes, the waiver lets you apply to 3 for free. Wish it were more, though. AAMC lets you apply to 14 with their fee waiver.

\

Wow. Thank you so much for your advice. it's really helpful, believe it or not. Haha. How do you tell the schools about your fee waiver? Just email them? And yes, the waiver lets you apply to 3 for free. Wish it were more, though. AAMC lets you apply to 14 with their fee waiver.
Yea just email them and ask. So you will send your primary app. Then if they like you they will invite you to do a secondary. At that point email or call and tell them you have it and ask if they waive fees and if they need proof etc.

Yea the AAMC one helps more but it's a lot harder to get than the AACOMAS one. I think the AACOMAS you need to be in like the poverty 300% range whereas AMCAS is 100% range. So you literally have to be like 3x as poor.

Lol. I didn't know you had to be 3x as poor. I already got the AMCAS one. I had to get it before I could even begin to pay for the MCAT (it's $300 without the reduction!).

Ahh then yea you will get the AACOMAS one as well. They are based on federal poverty guidelines. I can't remember the exact values. But that's good news then for you : )