Application: Disadvantaged Students part - Childhood residence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

de de es

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
disadvantaged status> childhood residence> description

what are we supposed to write here? is it ok to leave blank?

as a matter of fact, the entire section only has 2 "required" fields:
1) do you want to be considered disadvantaged? [No]
2) In what area did you spend the majority of your life from birth to age eighteen? [U.S.]

Members don't see this ad.

This is not a personal attack or anything like that. I grew up my dad left us and we lived on my mom's income of 12k a year. The area I grew up in was crap, everyone was addicted to drugs, we had to get food from local churches and so on. I was thinking this section was more for minorities?

Hm I dont think it's necessarily "more" for minorities. For me, I wrote about having to relocate and change schools a lot... being raised by my grandparents for the most part until they passed away.. and having to take care of my brother due to my parents' insane work schedule... we had a lot of financial issue too.. and then i summed it up.. on how it made me into a better applicant :). I thought about leaving it blank .. cuz i didn't want to sound like i am scrambling for pity points.. but i thought why not.. i went thru my share of struggles.. might as well tell my story. I dont think it will hurt u if u leave it blank.. every1 has a different history. U dont have be placed in disavantaged circumstances just to thrive and succeed.

Hm I dont think it's necessarily "more" for minorities. For me, I wrote about having to relocate and change schools a lot... being raised by my grandparents for the most part until they passed away.. and having to take care of my brother due to my parents' insane work schedule... we had a lot of financial issue too.. and then i summed it up.. on how it made me into a better applicant :). I thought about leaving it blank .. cuz i didn't want to sound like i am scrambling for pity points.. but i thought why not.. i went thru my share of struggles.. might as well tell my story. I dont think it will hurt u if u leave it blank.. every1 has a different history. U dont have be placed in disavantaged circumstances just to thrive and succeed.

thats what i did as well, it feels like pity points but it helps paint a picture of the type of applicant you are, if the school feels it is pity points, they will just disregard it, I hope! Im kind of tired of secondary applications and the AADSAS ambiguous questions about special circumstances or something the committee should know about you yet there are no examples or explanations.