Application: Disadvantaged Students part - Childhood residence

de de es

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
disadvantaged status> childhood residence> description

what are we supposed to write here? is it ok to leave blank?

as a matter of fact, the entire section only has 2 "required" fields:
1) do you want to be considered disadvantaged? [No]
2) In what area did you spend the majority of your life from birth to age eighteen? [U.S.]

bustedgrill

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2008
Status
  1. Medical Student
This is not a personal attack or anything like that. I grew up my dad left us and we lived on my mom's income of 12k a year. The area I grew up in was crap, everyone was addicted to drugs, we had to get food from local churches and so on. I was thinking this section was more for minorities?

lazybummy

5+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2009
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
Hm I dont think it's necessarily "more" for minorities. For me, I wrote about having to relocate and change schools a lot... being raised by my grandparents for the most part until they passed away.. and having to take care of my brother due to my parents' insane work schedule... we had a lot of financial issue too.. and then i summed it up.. on how it made me into a better applicant :). I thought about leaving it blank .. cuz i didn't want to sound like i am scrambling for pity points.. but i thought why not.. i went thru my share of struggles.. might as well tell my story. I dont think it will hurt u if u leave it blank.. every1 has a different history. U dont have be placed in disavantaged circumstances just to thrive and succeed.

sfrice80

Blood, Sweat, and Beers
Jun 11, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Status
  1. Dental Student
Hm I dont think it's necessarily "more" for minorities. For me, I wrote about having to relocate and change schools a lot... being raised by my grandparents for the most part until they passed away.. and having to take care of my brother due to my parents' insane work schedule... we had a lot of financial issue too.. and then i summed it up.. on how it made me into a better applicant :). I thought about leaving it blank .. cuz i didn't want to sound like i am scrambling for pity points.. but i thought why not.. i went thru my share of struggles.. might as well tell my story. I dont think it will hurt u if u leave it blank.. every1 has a different history. U dont have be placed in disavantaged circumstances just to thrive and succeed.

thats what i did as well, it feels like pity points but it helps paint a picture of the type of applicant you are, if the school feels it is pity points, they will just disregard it, I hope! Im kind of tired of secondary applications and the AADSAS ambiguous questions about special circumstances or something the committee should know about you yet there are no examples or explanations.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads