Mr.E

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2004
227
1
California
Status
I apologize if this question has been asked before. Does anyone know if the there is a fee for the AADSAS application? And if yes, what it is it? I can't seem to locate any info on their website. Thanks.
 

DMD_hopeful

Registered lunatic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2004
348
2
Status
Mr.E said:
I apologize if this question has been asked before. Does anyone know if the there is a fee for the AADSAS application? And if yes, what it is it? I can't seem to locate any info on their website. Thanks.

"What is the processing fee for the application?
The AADSAS Processing fee is $195 for the first dental school; $60.00 for each additional school up to 10; $50.00 for each additional school 11-20; and $25.00 for each additional school after 20."
 

Nendo21

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
271
0
Visit site
Status
Mr.E said:
I apologize if this question has been asked before. Does anyone know if the there is a fee for the AADSAS application? And if yes, what it is it? I can't seem to locate any info on their website. Thanks.
you're up for a suprize aadsas is such a ripoff :thumbdown:
 
OP
M

Mr.E

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2004
227
1
California
Status
DMD_hopeful said:
"What is the processing fee for the application?
The AADSAS Processing fee is $195 for the first dental school; $60.00 for each additional school up to 10; $50.00 for each additional school 11-20; and $25.00 for each additional school after 20."
Does this include the application fees that the individual schools ask for? Or should I expect to pay the schools' application fees at the same time I open up an app with AADSAS?
 

BeachLuvr

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2004
299
0
Houston, Texas
Status
You're bout to pay out the gazeezer...just go on ahead and let that hit you first. Fees for AADSAS, fees for each school separately, fees for DAT, fees for interviews, fees fees fees :) After awhile though, you just start charging things in your sleep...
 
OP
M

Mr.E

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2004
227
1
California
Status
BeachLuvr said:
You're bout to pay out the gazeezer...just go on ahead and let that hit you first. Fees for AADSAS, fees for each school separately, fees for DAT, fees for interviews, fees fees fees :) After awhile though, you just start charging things in your sleep...
Okay, now that I'm completely overwhelmed with the amount of money that goes into this process, let me get this straight. We pay AADSAS for each school that we want to apply to so that they can send the materials to each school, and then we have to also pay the schools application fee which is a seperate fee than the 60+ that we paid AADSAS for each school. Am I understanding thing correctly so far? What gives? Is there anyway we can cut AADSAS out of the picture and simply apply to each school seperately? I really have no clue how I'm going to pay for all this. Has anyone taken out loans to cover this stuff, and if so, who are where did you go to get loans, and how much?
 

dentist_to_be?

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
281
1
Status
Dentist
Mr.E said:
Okay, now that I'm completely overwhelmed with the amount of money that goes into this process, let me get this straight. We pay AADSAS for each school that we want to apply to so that they can send the materials to each school, and then we have to also pay the schools application fee which is a seperate fee than the 60+ that we paid AADSAS for each school. Am I understanding thing correctly so far? What gives? Is there anyway we can cut AADSAS out of the picture and simply apply to each school seperately? I really have no clue how I'm going to pay for all this. Has anyone taken out loans to cover this stuff, and if so, who are where did you go to get loans, and how much?
AASDSAS: disadvantages
AADSAS should totally be cut out...
first of all, they screw up, they forgot to send on of my LOR, so my application was super super late. :eek: :eek:

secondly, the schools ask the same information over and over again. For example, personal info, extracirricular etc... will all be asked again on the supplementary application :confused:

advantages:
you only need to write one essay --> personal statement. Luckily the schools dont usually ask for a second one. :luck:

i would save about $1500-2000 for applications, depending on how many schools and WHERE you want to apply. The interviews cost $$$ between airfare, hotels etc. Try and book interviews that are in same location next to each other, that saves you money... but still a very costly process.

good luck :luck:
 

DMD_hopeful

Registered lunatic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2004
348
2
Status
Mr.E said:
Does this include the application fees that the individual schools ask for? Or should I expect to pay the schools' application fees at the same time I open up an app with AADSAS?
Those are just the AADSAS fees. You also have to pay secondary fees to most of the schools you apply to (Basicially it's a fee for them to look at your application)

I spent about ~$1200 on AADSAS and secondary fees. It's big bucks but only a drop in the bucket compared to the HUGE bucks you'll spend on your dental education.
 

BeachLuvr

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2004
299
0
Houston, Texas
Status
Okay, I totally did not mean to freak you out...let me start again:

Yes, you pay AADSAS a fee to process your application, in addition to the charge of each school they send your information to. You cannot avoid the system unless you are applying to a school which does not use AADSAS.

Each school, once they have received your AADSAS application will then send letters requesting secondary materials, including an application fee. These fees can range from $30-75 typically. It is for this reason that it is very important that you are selective about the schools that you apply to. Do not waste your money, but also do not be so cheap that you bulldoze your chances.

Interview fees are things such as hotels (look into hotels.com), airlines (airtran, cheaptickets.com), interview attire, and hopefully eating, etc.

DAT fee is the price of the test, in addition to sending the scores out

and finally, deposits -- once you get accepted into a school. These can range significantly. I know for the school that I am attending, the deposit is only $30.00, but they can go all the way up to as much as $2500.

In all honesty, all of these fees are worth it in the long run. If you become a dentist, you will pay this off one day. The rewards more than outweigh the costs. I think many other SDNers will agree with me here.

I spent around $2500 on the whole process to go to a school that if I'd have know I would get in, could only have cost about $250 bucks. The things is, you just never know...Don't worry about the price during the application process, it'll pay you back later :)

Best wishes!

Beach

Mr.E said:
Okay, now that I'm completely overwhelmed with the amount of money that goes into this process, let me get this straight. We pay AADSAS for each school that we want to apply to so that they can send the materials to each school, and then we have to also pay the schools application fee which is a seperate fee than the 60+ that we paid AADSAS for each school. Am I understanding thing correctly so far? What gives? Is there anyway we can cut AADSAS out of the picture and simply apply to each school seperately? I really have no clue how I'm going to pay for all this. Has anyone taken out loans to cover this stuff, and if so, who are where did you go to get loans, and how much?
 
OP
M

Mr.E

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2004
227
1
California
Status
BeachLuvr said:
Okay, I totally did not mean to freak you out...let me start again:

Yes, you pay AADSAS a fee to process your application, in addition to the charge of each school they send your information to. You cannot avoid the system unless you are applying to a school which does not use AADSAS.

Each school, once they have received your AADSAS application will then send letters requesting secondary materials, including an application fee. These fees can range from $30-75 typically. It is for this reason that it is very important that you are selective about the schools that you apply to. Do not waste your money, but also do not be so cheap that you bulldoze your chances.

Interview fees are things such as hotels (look into hotels.com), airlines (airtran, cheaptickets.com), interview attire, and hopefully eating, etc.

DAT fee is the price of the test, in addition to sending the scores out

and finally, deposits -- once you get accepted into a school. These can range significantly. I know for the school that I am attending, the deposit is only $30.00, but they can go all the way up to as much as $2500.

In all honesty, all of these fees are worth it in the long run. If you become a dentist, you will pay this off one day. The rewards more than outweigh the costs. I think many other SDNers will agree with me here.

I spent around $2500 on the whole process to go to a school that if I'd have know I would get in, could only have cost about $250 bucks. The things is, you just never know...Don't worry about the price during the application process, it'll pay you back later :)

Best wishes!

Beach

Thanks for the information. Its been very helpful. Now all I have to worry about is how to acquire the money.