premedgeek

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2004
Status
are application fee and interview costs tax deductible?

Edit: Nevermind, they are not deductible. :mad:

Code Brown

Low man on the totem pole
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2004
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
premedgeek said:

From my understanding, they are if you end up going MD/PhD and you get a stipend (ie. Get paid). This could be looked upon as looking for work. Mind you, the stipend will probably be so dismal that you won't pay taxes anyway.

Code Brown

Low man on the totem pole
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2004
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
dr.z said:
I pay my taxes on stipend (I'm a Ph.D student). I don't get paid much though.
Speaking of getting paid. Several friends have been getting PhD offers and have been wondering what a "decent" PhD stipend would be? Any insight into this? Two are going into Analytical Chemistry and one into Biology.

dr.z

15+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
Detroit, MI
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Code Brown said:
Speaking of getting paid. Several friends have been getting PhD offers and have been wondering what a "decent" PhD stipend would be? Any insight into this? Two are going into Analytical Chemistry and one into Biology.
It totally depends on the school (due to location/cost of living), and how much money the program has. I have heard anything from $1400 to $2000 a month before taxes.

I get about $1700 after taxes, and I get health insurance and other fees paid. I'm in L.A. at a graduate program in medical school.

pratik7

15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2003
Atlanta, Ga
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
premedgeek said:

If you currently have a full time job... then the application fee and interview cost maybe tax deductible because it is considered looking for work. If you are now a student, it doesnt count.

liverotcod

Lieutenant Crunch
15+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
pratik7 said:
If you currently have a full time job... then the application fee and interview cost maybe tax deductible because it is considered looking for work. If you are now a student, it doesnt count.
That only applies if you are looking for a job in the same career.