Application Fee + Interview Cost = Tax Deductible?

Started by premedgeek
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

premedgeek

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
are application fee and interview costs tax deductible?


Edit: Nevermind, they are not deductible. 😡
 
premedgeek said:
are application fee and interview costs tax deductible?


Edit: Nevermind, they are not deductible. 😡

From my understanding, they are if you end up going MD/PhD and you get a stipend (ie. Get paid). This could be looked upon as looking for work. Mind you, the stipend will probably be so dismal that you won't pay taxes anyway.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
dr.z said:
I pay my taxes on stipend (I'm a Ph.D student). I don't get paid much though.

Speaking of getting paid. Several friends have been getting PhD offers and have been wondering what a "decent" PhD stipend would be? Any insight into this? Two are going into Analytical Chemistry and one into Biology.
 
Code Brown said:
Speaking of getting paid. Several friends have been getting PhD offers and have been wondering what a "decent" PhD stipend would be? Any insight into this? Two are going into Analytical Chemistry and one into Biology.

It totally depends on the school (due to location/cost of living), and how much money the program has. I have heard anything from $1400 to $2000 a month before taxes.

I get about $1700 after taxes, and I get health insurance and other fees paid. I'm in L.A. at a graduate program in medical school.
 
premedgeek said:
are application fee and interview costs tax deductible?


Edit: Nevermind, they are not deductible. 😡


If you currently have a full time job... then the application fee and interview cost maybe tax deductible because it is considered looking for work. If you are now a student, it doesnt count.
 
pratik7 said:
If you currently have a full time job... then the application fee and interview cost maybe tax deductible because it is considered looking for work. If you are now a student, it doesnt count.
That only applies if you are looking for a job in the same career.