Application for 2012, Timeline help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tam099

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm a non-Traditional student who graduated with a Biology, B.S. nearly 5 years ago. I've recently discovered podiatry and I'm in love. I plan to submit my application to be considered for the 2012 school year. I need some help as to when I should submit the various things needed.

I've filled out the AACPMAS application but have not submitted it yet because I have 2 classes that are in-progress (Physiology and Calculus). I'm getting an A, B+ respectively and they will definitely boost my GPA. Should I wait till the end of December or submit ASAP?

Along that same line I have MCAT scores pending (scheduled to take them Jan. 28th).

I have 2 of my three rec letters accounted for (need one more science professor rec. but none of my former teachers are returning my calls. :( )

If you were in my situation, what would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

one more piece of info that might be relevant. The calculus class is a retake..(freshman year...D...you know how those days were)

congrats on finding podiatry! Have you shadowed a podiatrist yet? You should do it to 1. make certain this is what you want and 2. you are going to need an LOR. I submitted and believe the schools still were waiting on a science LOR and DPM LOR and I received interviews. Some schools will not invite you until you have an MCAT score, so it's up to you and probably depends on where you really think you want to go. I say this, because if you get accepted somewhere, they are going to want a deposit within 30 days to hold your seat (all or some of which will be non-refundable). If you really want to go to one of the schools that won't interview you until they have your MCAT scores, you may want to wait.

Also, you don't state your current GPA, but i'm guessing the two classes won't make THAT much difference? If they will (like get you sub-3.0 to over 3.0), then I would definitely wait. The schools with large classes will definitely still be interviewing in March. Not sure about the smaller schools.

Sorry, I don't feel like I've been much help at all. Just make sure you shadow at least one pod and get a great LOR...this is important.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello All,

I'm a non-Traditional student who graduated with a Biology, B.S. nearly 5 years ago. I've recently discovered podiatry and I'm in love. I plan to submit my application to be considered for the 2012 school year. I need some help as to when I should submit the various things needed.

I've filled out the AACPMAS application but have not submitted it yet because I have 2 classes that are in-progress (Physiology and Calculus). I'm getting an A, B+ respectively and the+y will definitely boost my GPA. Should I wait till the end of December or submit ASAP?i

Along that same line I have MCAT scores pending (scheduled to take them Jan. 28th).

I have 2 of my three rec letters accounted for (need one more science professor rec. but none of my former teachers are returning my calls. :( )

If you were in my situation, what would you do?

Hey, congrats on deciding on podiatry! I am in a similar situation as you, so hopefully I can help. I earned my degree already, and WesternU was impressed with that. I am also working on my second physics class, all the physics labs and even an O-chem lab currently and have already been accepted. (most schools, if not all, just need the classes done before you start... that is all they care about).

Another thing to remember is you will be able to update your application a second time, I think it is either January or February. So my vote would be to submit your application now, then update it later. Also, since it is technically "rolling admissions", it is better to get your app above someone else. I know NYCPM and Barry University were both calling me to "check up" before my transcripts and MCAT scores were received. That is a good time to talk first hand with the admissions staff and get to know them better.

Also, I would just get your LOR from your anatomy professor, if you haven't checked into that. Second, I would just stop by the your old professors office. I had an old Professor that never responded via email but was happy to write a letter once I visited him and saw who I was.

I really appreciate the feedback! I'm currently shadowing a podiatrist and I love it. He has offered to write me one, so I think it'll be a positive one.

I don't think those two classes I'm taking will make a big impact on my GPA but I just wanted to prove to myself that I can still do well after 5 years away. The "D" in calculus has been an eye sore psychological and the physiology class is great review for the biology section of the MCATs!

To glifferth, are your MCATs still pending also? What schools have you heard from if you don't mind me asking.

My number one choice right now is Western, but I'll be happy with any school that accepts me.

Is it true that without MCAT scores they'll offer interviews but not accept anyone until the scores come in? Which would like early to mid March for the January test date!! =(

I really appreciate the feedback! I'm currently shadowing a podiatrist and I love it. He has offered to write me one, so I think it'll be a positive one.

I don't think those two classes I'm taking will make a big impact on my GPA but I just wanted to prove to myself that I can still do well after 5 years away. The "D" in calculus has been an eye sore psychological and the physiology class is great review for the biology section of the MCATs!

To glifferth, are your MCATs still pending also? What schools have you heard from if you don't mind me asking.

My number one choice right now is Western, but I'll be happy with any school that accepts me.

Sorry about the delayed response! I had my MCAT score available the first part of October. I heard back from all the ones I applied to after all my transcripts were received (temple, WesternU, New York, Barry). In fact, Barry and New York were calling before to "follow up on my transcripts" before my application was complete.. So I would still say submit it anyway.

Some schools will offer interviews and accept you prior to receiving MCAT scores (it will be a conditional acceptance based on what they require for MCAT score) and others will not even interview until they receive everything. Not sure about Western's policy.

Good Luck!

Just FYI for people who are curious about the application process in December...I e-submitted my application on the 12th, transcripts were received on the 13th, verified on the 20th, and mailed out on the 21st.

It did take them 2 weeks to receive my transcripts though.

Just FYI for people who are curious about the application process in December...I e-submitted my application on the 12th, transcripts were received on the 13th, verified on the 20th, and mailed out on the 21st.

It did take them 2 weeks to receive my transcripts though.

wow, that's lightning fast. Thanks for sharing! Any interview invites yet?

...and an interview invite from OCPM on the 22nd!

DMU responded also but they are waiting on MCATs (pending for Jan)

Congrats on the OCPM interview! I'm scheduled for an OCPM interview Jan. 9th! Have you scheduled yours yet? Congrats!

What do you mean mailed out? I e-submitted the 16th of january with transcripts already received...I received an email from OCPM saying they got my unverified application like 2 days later and today the 21st I finally see my GPA calculations...Is that what you mean mailed out?