Application Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YungGeezy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm currently applying this cycle to begin medical school in 2017. Just for reference, my LizzyM is approximately 71, I have research experience, leadership, community service and shadowing and I'm working now for a surgeon. I've applied to 16 MD programs (fairly early, all secondaries were submitted before early August). So far, I've gotten 4 II and only 2 in-state (there are over 5 programs in my state). I've gotten wait-listed already at one and I'm waiting to hear back from the others (I've interviewed at 2 others so far, one of which was OOS). I'm beginning to panic, do I apply to more programs? Do I call the schools and bother them? Or am I being inpatient and irrational? I don't want to waste a ton of money applying to more schools but I'm beginning to get desperate.

Members don't see this ad.

You have 4 IIs in October and you are desperate and panicking?

You've only heard back from one, and it wasn't even a rejection. Chillax!

Reactions: 1 users
want some cheese with your wine? Calling the schools to bother them will probably be the best thing to do. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
You have 4 IIs in October and you are desperate and panicking?

You've only heard back from one, and it wasn't even a rejection. Chillax!

Lol this is what I needed to hear. Thank you! It's just hard when you see other people getting acceptances so early and have no idea what the future will hold

Reactions: 1 user
Y

You are.

Schools get thousands of applications that are reduced to hundreds of II. More than 80% of applications at each individual school are rejected prior to interview, giving individual acceptances rates at 3%-5%. For 4 II on 16 schools, you are about average. I also like to point out that yearly Matriculating Student Surveys show that almost 1/2 of all acceptees receive a single acceptance and that over 60% of applicants get 3 II or less.

Wow I was unaware of those stats, it does make me feel a bit better. Thank you, much appreciated

Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not. And if you truly value a career in Medicine, you do NOT call schools and bother them, lest you be labelled as a special snowflake with huge entitlement issues.

If you don't hear anything by T-giving, start working on your Plan B.

If you get completely shut out, contact Admissions deans from the schools, and see if you can get feedback (not counseling or advice) on your rejections.

So I'm currently applying this cycle to begin medical school in 2017. Just for reference, my LizzyM is approximately 71, I have research experience, leadership, community service and shadowing and I'm working now for a surgeon. I've applied to 16 MD programs (fairly early, all secondaries were submitted before early August). So far, I've gotten 4 II and only 2 in-state (there are over 5 programs in my state). I've gotten wait-listed already at one and I'm waiting to hear back from the others (I've interviewed at 2 others so far, one of which was OOS). I'm beginning to panic, do I apply to more programs? Do I call the schools and bother them? Or am I being inpatient and irrational? I don't want to waste a ton of money applying to more schools but I'm beginning to get desperate.

Reactions: 1 user
Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not. And if you truly value a career in Medicine, you do NOT call schools and bother them, lest you be labelled as a special snowflake with huge entitlement issues.

If you don't hear anything by T-giving, start working on your Plan B.

If you get completely shut out, contact Admissions deans from the schools, and see if you can get feedback (not counseling or advice) on your rejections.

Do you mean if I don't hear about an acceptance by thanksgiving?

OP there are people out there w/o any IIs yet, chill.....