Application into 4th year Undergrad?

Arb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2004
    I'm not sure if this is unique to my school but, for my undergraduate program we had to apply to see who gets into 4th year. So basically, around 140 people in the program freshman year slowly dwindled to 25 by the time I was a senior. Is this a common practice?

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Jul 18, 2003
    Neverland
    1. Attending Physician
      Arb said:
      I'm not sure if this is unique to my school but, for my undergraduate program we had to apply to see who gets into 4th year. So basically, around 140 people in the program freshman year slowly dwindled to 25 by the time I was a senior. Is this a common practice?

i have never, ever heard of that before.

I could understand applying in order to transfer into another major. But what's the purpose of having to apply to get into fourth year? Does this mean you can study your butt off, take all these hard courses, and then be told you can't finish up and take the fourth year classes?

About the Ads

Arb

10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Aug 30, 2004
        Of course. That's exactly what happens. We have to do two honours thesises in my 4th year so there's also only a certain amount of labs available. This is in biochemistry by the way. Two of my friends (I'm living with one now) didn't get into 4th year and so he's taking an extra year finishing a Biomedical degree (computers and biochem). Another went into psycology and he has to take 1 or 2 extra years of school.

I thought this was the norm. It is a very good program though and I'm proud to say I graduated.

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Jul 18, 2003
        Neverland
        1. Attending Physician
          Arb said:
          Of course. That's exactly what happens. We have to do two honours thesises in my 4th year so there's also only a certain amount of labs available. This is in biochemistry by the way. Two of my friends (I'm living with one now) didn't get into 4th year and so he's taking an extra year finishing a Biomedical degree (computers and biochem). Another went into psycology and he has to take 1 or 2 extra years of school.

I thought this was the norm. It is a very good program though and I'm proud to say I graduated.

Sounds tough Arb. you should definitely be proud :)

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.