Application Invites from 3 schools need help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poormansDO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just submitted my application to ocpm, nycpm, and scpm today (12-09-05) and i wanted to know which of these schools sends interview invites before receiving letters of recommendation and also how long does it take to receive these interview invites and where am i likely to get interview invites with a 3.43 overall g.p.a and an mcat score of 23. thanx for feedback

Members don't see this ad.

ppormansdoormd said:
i just submitted my application to ocpm, nycpm, and scpm today (12-09-05) and i wanted to know which of these schools sends interview invites before receiving letters of recommendation and also how long does it take to receive these interview invites and where am i likely to get interview invites with a 3.43 overall g.p.a and an mcat score of 23. thanx for feedback

I can only speak for what I know. NYCPM will almost definitely send an invite for an interview with the GPA and MCAT score. The MCAT is a little low but still in range.

I am not sure if you need the recommendations before the interview or just before acceptance.

You should get an interview to all of those schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
discusdan said:
You should get an interview to all of those schools.

How long do you think it will take to get an interview invite?

When I applied earlier, in october, I got invites to ocpm and scholl within a couple days before I had any of my recommendations or transcripts in. NYCPM, however, was the only one that required my official transcripts and recommendations before I could set up an interview date. However, they emailed me stating that I would recieve an interview after my recommendations come in.

You will get interviews to all of them as long as you wrote a decent personal statement. I realized that you also applied to D.O. schools so during the interview, they will definately ask you about it. They did for me.

I got interviews everywhere within a few days - without sending in any letters of rec or transcripts...and no MCAT score and a lower GPA than you - you will be fine. good luck!

ppormansdoormd said:

No, not at all...or at least not in my experience...every school I talked to said that 20 was a sufficient score to aim for. Obviously they want you to get as high a score as possible, and you can get money from them if you do really well - but to just get in, you dont need to do all that well. After all, I got accepted and have not taken it yet.

LaLaHoneyBee said:
23 is a little low for pod school?

LaLaHoneyBee said:
23 is a little low for pod school?

you could check all the pod schools websites, none of them require an mcat of more than 23 all of them have average mcat of 21,22, or 23

AZPod, Scholl, Temple and DMU have averages of 22-23.
It's still early in the application cycle so your stats are pretty good.

However, when it comes late in the cycle (after April), a 23 would be okay because seats are limited and when MD/DO applicants who get turned down or want to change fields also apply to podiatry.

When I interviewed at Cali and AZ, there were several students who had 29+ on the MCAT and actually turned down MD schools. It also happens that they applied late since they finished interviewing at the allopathic schools which is a much longer process than the podiatric application process.

That is great news...means that the applicant field is getting more competitive - which is obviously a great thing for the future!

gsrimport said:
AZPod, Scholl, Temple and DMU has averages of 22-23.
It's still early in the application cycle so your stats are pretty good.

However, when it comes late in the cycle (after April), a 23 would be okay because seats are limited and when MD/DO applicants who get turned down or want to change fields also apply to podiatry.

When I interviewed at Cali and AZ, there were several students who had 29+ on the MCAT and actually turned down MD schools. It also happens that they applied late since they finished interviewing at the allopathic schools which is a much longer process than the podiatric application process.

ppormansdoormd said:
you could check all the pod schools websites, none of them require an mcat of more than 23 all of them have average mcat of 21,22, or 23

NYCPM does not release its average scores but I found out that it goes up every year and last year's average MCAT score was 24.

Yes people get in with lower than the average, but I always aim for above the average.

Krabmas,

That's pretty good, tell them to update their website!

Members don't see this ad :)
can somebody tell me how long the interviews were at scpm, ocpm and nycpm? how are the interview dates and times like and also how long do we have after being accepted to these schools, for us to decline admission if we dont want to go to a particular school, a week? a month? and some of you guys said you got interviews within a few days, how long is that a day, a week, 3 days?

My interview at Scholl started at 930am - I talked with Mandy (works in admissions office) for 30 minutes just about the school in general. I then had a 45 minute one on one interview with a DPM who teaches biomechanics there - she was great! She had my application, resume, etc.. memorized and asked me all about it. She was very interested in me and who I am and was so nice - I loved talking to her. I was then showed around the clinics which are across the campus - and received info on financial aid and housing. 2 students then took me around the campus to see the facilities, had lunch with me, and answered all the questions I could think to ask. I then had a final meeting with the lady in admissions, where she told me I was accepted and offered a small scholarship. She then said that I had 30 days to accept or decline. Its a fun process...I loved all of my interviews at each school - its exciting and fun to see the different schools! good luck

ppormansdoormd said:
can somebody tell me how long the interviews were at scpm, ocpm and nycpm? how are the interview dates and times like and also how long do we have after being accepted to these schools, for us to decline admission if we dont want to go to a particular school, a week? a month? and some of you guys said you got interviews within a few days, how long is that a day, a week, 3 days?

Oh, and I heard from Scholl 2 days after I submitted my application - and I heard via phone.

runnersfeet said:
My interview at Scholl started at 930am - I talked with Mandy (works in admissions office) for 30 minutes just about the school in general. I then had a 45 minute one on one interview with a DPM who teaches biomechanics there - she was great! She had my application, resume, etc.. memorized and asked me all about it. She was very interested in me and who I am and was so nice - I loved talking to her. I was then showed around the clinics which are across the campus - and received info on financial aid and housing. 2 students then took me around the campus to see the facilities, had lunch with me, and answered all the questions I could think to ask. I then had a final meeting with the lady in admissions, where she told me I was accepted and offered a small scholarship. She then said that I had 30 days to accept or decline. Its a fun process...I loved all of my interviews at each school - its exciting and fun to see the different schools! good luck

for scpm, ocpm, and nycpm is it possible to do a residency in michigan if i wanted to, is there a system for that, are there any michigan people who have done a residency in michigan?

for scpm, ocpm, and nycpm is it possible to do a residency in michigan if i wanted to, is there a system for that, are there any people who have done a residency in michigan?

ppormansdoormd said:
for scpm, ocpm, and nycpm is it possible to do a residency in michigan if i wanted to, is there a system for that, are there any people who have done a residency in michigan?

It is possible to do a residency at almost any program regardless of the school. I think that there are some progrmas in philly that only take temple students (Im not 100% sure so a temple student can clear that up). Other than that, I think all programs are open to all schools.

runnersfeet said:
Oh, and I heard from Scholl 2 days after I submitted my application - and I heard via phone.

i take it that you paid the fee online right? and also they accepted you without an mcat so do you have to take the mcat? and when did they call you by phone morning, afternoon ?

randersen said:
It is possible to do a residency at almost any program regardless of the school. I think that there are some progrmas in philly that only take temple students (Im not 100% sure so a temple student can clear that up). Other than that, I think all programs are open to all schools.

There are certain residency programs throughout the US that either restricts applicants from a specific school or show preference towards a school because the students from a specific school do school rotations at the residency program. It is usually the residency programs near a specific podiatry school that may show preference towards the students at the school because of their existing rotations at the residency program. I am not referring to the externship rotations. The reason why one may see a preference towards students at a specific school is that these residency programs are familiar with the students that rotate through there for their school rotations. However, just because a program may show preference towards students of a certain school, it does NOT mean that students from other schools does not have a shot at the residency program. There have been students from different schools at these residency programs. There is only one residency program in Philadelphia that is restricted to Temple students and it is the Temple University Hospital 4 years PSR-24+ Podiatric Surgical Residency Program. As per the latest rumors, Temple University Hospital PSR-24+ program will be opening up to students from all schools starting the next application cycle in 2006. DMU students rotate through Broadlawns podiatric residency program. Barry student rotate through a bunch of residency programs near Miami area. California school rotate through St. Mary's Residency Program. NYCPM students can do a school rotation at UMDNJ. A Temple classmate of mine who did the residency training at the Loyola residency program in Chicago also tells me that Scholl students do some rotations at the area residency programs. Perhaps, a Scholl student can clarify this. Temple students also rotate through some of the residency programs in Philadelphia (Philadelphia VA and Podopediatric Clinic at Temple University Childrens Hospital, which is part of Temple University Hospital Podiatric Residency Program).

Yep, i paid the fee online. I have not taken the MCAT and do not plan on doing so. I am taking the GRE in mid-january. The lady there called me late morning to notify me of my interview offer. I chose a date (out of the ones she offered me) to interview and notified her of my decision the following day. My interview was about one month after she called, but there were dates available for interviews ealier than that - but they were not convenient for me. The whole process is VERY fast and efficient!

ppormansdoormd said:
i take it that you paid the fee online right? and also they accepted you without an mcat so do you have to take the mcat? and when did they call you by phone morning, afternoon ?

ppormansdoormd said:

I only applied to NYCPM. my experience was that all the required paper work had to be submitted before the interview. infact, i ended up bringing, in person, the rest of the required material and then the dean looked at my completed file and granted me an interview. it was pretty neat!

interview took place a few days laterand went great. im thrilled. everyone was really friendly. but again it doesnt hurt to call the schools and ask them these questions straight out.

good luck

ppormansdoormd said:

The interview at NYCPM is with 3 people in 3 different interviews. One pre-clinical (basic sciences) professor, one clinical science professor, and one student. You will get a tour of the school and clinic with either the same student that interviewed you or another student. And lunch with a couple of students. You'll have the oppurtunity to shadow in the clinic for a while if you wish. So it lasts almost all day. Before you leave you meet with Carlene again to wrap things up. She will most likely let you know how things went but she will not an cannot accept you on the spot because there is an admissions committee that must make the final decision.

krabmas said:
I go on the NYCPM website everyday and I have never seen an average MCAT score. Please tell me where you found it.

The only one I've seen is from this page.

This is what I found there:

"The profile of the average incoming first year student has a 3.2 GPA and an overall MCAT score of 21. To be most competitive, you should possess a science and overall GPA over 3.0, on a 4.0 scale. It is recommended that candidates with less than a 2.75 grade point average consult the Office of Admissions prior to applying."

Of course, the copyright for that page is from 2002. It seems like they would alter it, though, if they are claiming higher averages now.

krabmas said:
The interview at NYCPM is with 3 people in 3 different interviews. One pre-clinical (basic sciences) professor, one clinical science professor, and one student. You will get a tour of the school and clinic with either the same student that interviewed you or another student. And lunch with a couple of students. You'll have the oppurtunity to shadow in the clinic for a while if you wish. So it lasts almost all day. Before you leave you meet with Carlene again to wrap things up. She will most likely let you know how things went but she will not an cannot accept you on the spot because there is an admissions committee that must make the final decision.

how long are these interviews?

does anyone know if aacpmas makes an e-profile like the aacomas does?

ppormansdoormd said:
does anyone know if aacpmas makes an e-profile like the aacomas does?

You can still access your application online after you submit it. Any interview updates?

gsrimport said:
You can still access your application online after you submit it. Any interview updates?

no, no interviews so far, i just mailed in the aacpmas appication fee today. im asking for aacomas which makes the e profile if aacpmas also makes one, i no i can access it. i just want to know if an e profile is made.

how come podiatrists wear stethoscopes do they use it like d.o.'s and m.d.'s, i thought they're just doctors of the foot. do they also measure blood pressure, heart rate, etc.

shawmahmed said:
how come podiatrists wear stethoscopes do they use it like d.o.'s and m.d.'s, i thought they're just doctors of the foot. do they also measure blood pressure, heart rate, etc.

Maybe disorders of the foot are related to other parts of the body.

does tuspm need lor's before interviews? i would apply there but they require 4 or 5 lor's? i can't get that many.

ppormansdoormd said:
how long are these interviews?

It really depends on what you have to say and how you get along with the interviewer. If the conversation is going well the interview will last longer.

typically 20 minutes is average. Some interviewers have tight schedules so they will not let it go that long. Try not to get nervous. Just relax and be yourself because then there will be no regrets.

shawmahmed said:

How else would you take and ABI? Sometimes it is useful to know more than just the pulses, capillary filling time and temperature gradient for the patient's vascular status. If you want to Rx compression stocking for a patient the strength of the compression allowed is dependent on the ABI. Most hospitals have the electronic blood pressure cuffs, but some do not.

There are also other reasons to carry the stethescope, like wanting to look like a real doctor (sarcasm) this was just one example.

shawmahmed said:
does tuspm need lor's before interviews? i would apply there but they require 4 or 5 lor's? i can't get that many.

TUSPM does not require that many letters of recommendation. TUSPM requires a letter from your undergrad school's Pre-Health Advisory Committee and two letters from health care professionals (one of which must be from a podiatric physician). Hence, you only need 3 letters of recommendation. It is very rare these days that undergrad schools do not have a Pre-Health Advisory Committee. If you are in that category, you will need two letters of recommendation from science faculty members, in lieu of the Pre-Health Advisory Committee letter. Good Luck.

dpmgrad said:
TUSPM does not require that many letters of recommendation. TUSPM requires a letter from your undergrad school's Pre-Health Advisory Committee and two letters from health care professionals (one of which must be from a podiatric physician). Hence, you only need 3 letters of recommendation. It is very rare these days that undergrad schools do not have a Pre-Health Advisory Committee. If you are in that category, you will need two letters of recommendation from science faculty members, in lieu of the Pre-Health Advisory Committee letter. Good Luck.

do you know if they give interview invites w/o having received lor's. if they do i think i might apply. thanx.

shawmahmed said:

As a Podiatric Surgery resident, you will be doing rotations through Internal Medicine, General Surgery, etc.... In those rotations, one will be doing complete H&Ps for hospital admissions and have to manage patients on those services. You would need a stethoscope for those rotations. As for practicing podiatric physician, many of the podiatric physicians keep a stethoscope handy so that they can take vital signs (blood pressure, temp, pulse, respiration rates) of patients in the office.

shawmahmed said:
do you know if they give interview invites w/o having received lor's. if they do i think i might apply. thanx.

In general, TUSPM usually do not invite students for interview until their application is complete. However, if your grades and MCAT scores are pretty good, there might be a chance that they might offer you an interview prior to getting your letters of recommendation. When I was a student at TUSPM, this did not happen very often. Perhaps, some of the current applicants can comment on their experience with TUSPM.

I take it that scpm is the best school out of scpm, ocpm, and nycpm. are there are a lot asian people at scpm? particularly from the indian subcontinent.

ppormansdoormd said:
I take it that scpm is the best school out of scpm, ocpm, and nycpm. are there are a lot asian people at scpm? particularly from the indian subcontinent.

I'm not quite sure how you come to that conclusion. While a few people will agree with you, I'm sure that there are even more in this forum who would disagree. As for the latest figures on the SCPM website: Fall 2004 first year class: Men: 66.6%, Women: 33.3% - from 27 states, one foreign country.

If you are interested in diversity, then Barry has the highest percentage of women and minority students of any podiatric medical school in the country. The university as a whole has students from 49 states and 80 countries and has been ranked as #1 for diversity among Southern Regional Universities in U.S. News and World Report for six years in a row. Keep in mind when you look at a school like Barry, podiatric medicne and surgery is only a small part of the university. There are more 9000 students and more than 60 undergraduate and 50 graduate programs at the university. So, your social opportunities are also excellent.

I recieved an interview from TUSPM by phone. I recieved a phone call from David Martin, director of student services. He was extremely professional and a very nice person to talk to. At the time, they did not have my LORs, or transcripts and he told me that they only had my GPA and MCAT scores.

From the FAQs from Temple, the average GPA was 3.34 (Science GPA of 3.2) and average MCAT of 23. The average DAT was 17.1.

I visited Scholl for my interview and it appeared very diverse and this years class is 56% women. However, I do not doubt that Barry is overall the most diverse - simply just based on its location.

scpod said:
I'm not quite sure how you come to that conclusion. While a few people will agree with you, I'm sure that there are even more in this forum who would disagree. As for the latest figures on the SCPM website: Fall 2004 first year class: Men: 66.6%, Women: 33.3% - from 27 states, one foreign country.

If you are interested in diversity, then Barry has the highest percentage of women and minority students of any podiatric medical school in the country. The university as a whole has students from 49 states and 80 countries and has been ranked as #1 for diversity among Southern Regional Universities in U.S. News and World Report for six years in a row. Keep in mind when you look at a school like Barry, podiatric medicne and surgery is only a small part of the university. There are more 9000 students and more than 60 undergraduate and 50 graduate programs at the university. So, your social opportunities are also excellent.

gsrimport said:
I recieved an interview from TUSPM by phone. I recieved a phone call from David Martin, director of student services. He was extremely professional and a very nice person to talk to. At the time, they did not have my LORs, or transcripts and he told me that they only had my GPA and MCAT scores.

From the FAQs from Temple, the average GPA was 3.34 (Science GPA of 3.2) and average MCAT of 23. The average DAT was 17.1.

when did you receive this interview call, recently? do they have to receive the lor's by interview day or can you give it after?

after much research this is the top podiatric schools list:

The Final List:

1.DMU-CPMS
2.SCPM
3.TUSPM
4.AZPM
5.BUSGMS
6.NYCPM
7.OCPM
8.CSPM

Is this the top list in your opinion, or did you find this somewhere? based on what?

runnersfeet said:
Is this the top list in your opinion, or did you find this somewhere? based on what?

i found it on pogo.com apparently it has something to do with video games. lol.

ppormansdoormd said:
after much research this is the top podiatric schools list:

The Final List:

1.DMU-CPMS
2.SCPM
3.TUSPM
4.AZPM
5.BUSGMS
6.NYCPM
7.OCPM
8.CSPM

Going off of board scores, facilities, residency placement, etc, the list is fairly accurate. However, I've met very sharp students from all of the schools.

jonwill said:
Going off of board scores, facilities, residency placement, etc, the list is fairly accurate. However, I've met very sharp students from all of the schools.

I am not sure why you would say this list is fairly accurate based on board scores, facilities, residency placement, etc... The reason why I say this is that AZPod students has not even taken the boards yet and they have not placed any of the students into residency program since they have not graduated any students. Just a thought.

dpmgrad said:
I am not sure why you would say this list is fairly accurate based on board scores, facilities, residency placement, etc... The reason why I say this is that AZPod students has not even taken the boards yet and they have not placed any of the students into residency program since they have not graduated any students. Just a thought.
That's why I said "FAIRLY" accurate. But from what I know about AZPOD, I believe it's going to be a very strong program. Also, I'm not sure I'd place Cali at the bottom of the list. I don't think the program is that bad.