Application: Personal Statement vs. MD/PhD Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alacast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you make these two essays not overlap completely?

For me, I'm coming to medicine from my research; the MD is augmenting the PhD, and research is my primary focus. As such, the personal statement for "why medicine" says "Because it's what I want to do research in." The MD/PhD essay, then, is....virtually the same story.

I'm positive this has been discussed before, but I'm having trouble finding a previous thread. Any suggestions, tips, or tricks?

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

I wrote different essays, but I wasn't as focused on going to medical school primarily/solely for research, as you have indicated.

I don't see a problem with repeating yourself to a large extent, so that you don't have to write two completely different essays. If it's honest, I think it will work.

But then I'd expect some interview questions along the lines of how you think you'll enjoy the clinical work, and whether you really need to go to medical school to do the kind of research you want to do.

The personal statement should focus, according to AMCAS, "to explain why you want to go to medical school." They also state you may write about:
  • Why have you selected the field of medicine?
  • What motivates you to learn more about medicine?
  • What do you want medical schools to know about you that hasn't been disclosed in another section of the application?
Also, "you may wish to include information such as:

• Special hardships, challenges or obstacles that may have influenced your educational pursuits
  • Commentary on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere in your application."
You do not do research on "medicine." You do not need an MD to do research on medical topics, however broad the categories. Focus your 'why MD' essay on your desire to have clinical knowledge and interactions with patients. It should not focus on your desire to conduct research. It may include your desire to conduct clinically-relevant research (which is not necessarily basic science), but it should focus on why you want to treat patients (which is based on your volunteering/shadowing/other experiences).

You do not need an MD to conduct medically-relevant research. You do not need an MD to conduct clinically-relevant or even patient-based research. Your reasons for the MD degree should not be research-based, but should focus on why you are willing to go through medical school and residency, with a minimum of around 5 years of patient contact (which you do not need to conduct research). Think of the MD-only committees viewing your application and your desire to be a clinician. At many schools, it is their decision to send your application to the MD/PhD people. Even at schools where the MD/PhD people have complete control over your application, they want to know why you need the clinical knowledge (and your willingness to go through clinical training), so focus your MD essay on clinical/patient desires. Your MD/PhD essay and research essay will be sufficient to convey your research interests.

Members don't see this ad :)
Focus your 'why MD' essay on your desire to have clinical knowledge and interactions with patients. It should not focus on your desire to conduct research. It may include your desire to conduct clinically-relevant research (which is not necessarily basic science), but it should focus on why you want to treat patients (which is based on your volunteering/shadowing/other experiences).

You do not need an MD to conduct medically-relevant research. You do not need an MD to conduct clinically-relevant or even patient-based research. Your reasons for the MD degree should not be research-based, but should focus on why you are willing to go through medical school and residency, with a minimum of around 5 years of patient contact (which you do not need to conduct research).

I'm no expert, but I think this is very misleading advice for an MD-PhD applicant. A large number of MD-PhDs go on to do research post-docs after getting their degree, followed by research-only careers in academia. In fact, imparting medical knowledge to future research scientists is one of the principal goals of MD-PhD programs (particularly the MSTP). I see no reason why an applicant should need to hide their intentions of pursuing a research-focused career, if that is his/her genuine goal.

And, yes, a medical degree can and does help you to do medically relevant, basic science research.

You do make a good point about those MD-PhD programs that require a admission to the MD part first (this is the minority of schools, but still a significant number). My guess is that they're still interested in qualified applicants who intend to do serious research, but it probably doesn't hurt to demonstrate in your personal statement or work/activities section that you're not adverse to ever directly working with a patient.

A large number of MD-PhDs go on to do research post-docs after getting their degree, followed by research-only careers in academia.

If by "research post-docs" you mean foregoing residency, and by a "large number" you mean less than 5%, I'll agree. But I don't think less than 5%, the real number of MD/PhDs who don't do residency, when I think large numbers, so I have to disagree with this quoted statement. Residency is still a mostly clinical time to train, and I hope you have a strong interest in clinical medicine to sustain you through it.

I don't see why not to put research interest in your why MD essay though. If you're applying to a school with an MD/PhD program, there's enough research going on there that they recognize students will be coming who are interested in research and may be MD/PhD applicants. There's no reason to straight out hide it and wanting to have medical knowledge to improve your ability to perform research or to apply research to patients is a fine reason to go to med school. But, I wouldn't make it your only reason, and I do think you should still have some touchy-feely reasons to get past MD committees no matter what your true motivations.